Does a 10" sub do anything better than a 12"?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Charlie Campisi, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I have a very good 10" sub. The 10" is very solid in my room, but I am looking to upgrade. Upgrade bug + disposable tax refund = new stuff (and jewelry for wife). Room is 15x17, plus a 10' opening to back. Basement room, concrete slab and carpet. Ceilings are 8'. Again, the 10" is doing fine. Just looking for some more thump and curious about the SVS'es.

I am looking at the PB-10 and Pb-12. Is there anything that the 10 does better than the 12? I read the thread a month or two ago that dispelled the nature of smaller subs being "faster" and thus more accurate. So is bigger always better? Just get the biggest my budget allows?

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Go with the 12. I just upgraded from an SVS PB-10 to an SVS PB-12 ISD/v, the PB-10 is one of the best 10 inch subs I've ever heard, sounds better than subs 2-3 times as much, but after having the WOW! They are big, but they sound amazing.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you are maintaining "quality level", then I think most of us would agree that bigger is usually better. But in most cases, I bet a $1000 10" sub would beat a $200 12" sub, if that makes sense. [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've heard both the PB-10 and the PB-12, and the difference is more air movement by the PB-12, which translated to a bit more tactile feel and activation of the air in the room. Either of those guys should work well in a room that size, though I'd probably opt for the PB-12 or ISD/V like Blaine. If you don't mind a cylinder, there's always the 20-39PCi.

5. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Charlie C,

I ended up with the Pb12+ when I was considering getting the Pb10 and I have no regrets. Of course there is the slight issue of it costing 2x the amount, but of course if it doesn't bother your wallet, then 'BIGGER is always better', at least where HT subs are concerned, hehehe

SVS rules...

Regards.
    David

6. KeithWo

KeithWo Auditioning

Hi David,
    Is your new PB12+ come with new db12.3 new driver?