Does 3805 REALLY have more power than 3803?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamesDB, Jun 14, 2004.

1. JamesDB

JamesDB Stunt Coordinator

Ever since the 3805 came out I have really wondered if that 10 extra watts were really there or not. I know it would be hard to hear, but did Denon REALLY beef up the power supply?

Any thoughts?

JamesDB

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

From (measured) 50W on the 3803 to 100W (measured) on the 3805 its 3db gain, very noticable, IMHO. That 3db of headroom will play much better in any HT.

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

You could look at the rated current draw (Amps, x.xA on Denons usually on the same little sticker that says country of manufacture).

As long as Denon used the same conventions for measuring the current draw on both rcvrs, this gives you an idea of total power consumption which is pretty much directly related to total power output.

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Personally, I doubt it. Every new model Denon receiver is always touted by their new owners as being "even better and much more powerful than the last" from the 3801 to the 3803 and now the 3805. With all of these claims, you'd think Denon would have put everyone else out of business by now. Put the 3803 next to a 3805, and w/ the exception of features, you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference, if any at all.

5. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Agree in general, but if Denon uses a different type of power supply, its efficiency and power factor etc. could be different. According to the specifications, the 3803 draws 7.0A, 3805 draws 7.1A. No mentioning of whether that is under full load condition. Everything else being equal(this msy not be true), one would think that their output ratings should be roughly the same.

6. JamesDB

This is my feeling. Moving from 110 to 120 watts I'd like to see the current draw rise by that same percentage. Yes perhaps the power supply is more efficient or there is less loss somewhere in the chain, but then this should be stated instead of a power increase.

I love Denon products but somehow this is not sitting well with me. I feel it's a bit unethical. Tell me I'm wrong...

James

7. JamesDB

This is my feeling. Moving from 110 to 120 watts I'd like to see the current draw rise by that same percentage. Yes perhaps the power supply is more efficient or there is less loss somewhere in the chain, but then this should be stated instead of a power increase.

I love Denon products but somehow this is not sitting well with me. I feel it's a bit unethical. Tell me I'm wrong...

James