What's new
Real Name
Tim
Warner Archives has released William Wyler’s film Dodsworth on Blu Ray.  Dodsworth produced by Samuel Goldwyn in 1935 was based on Sinclair Lewis’ 1929 novel of the same name.  Dodsworth is a sensitive, intelligent look at a long-time marriage falling apart.  The film underwent a restoration by The Film Foundation in 2019 and looks better than I’ve ever seen it on either film or video.

Dodsworth (1936)

Released: 23 Sep 1936
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 101 min

Director: William Wyler
Genre: Drama, Romance

Cast: Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Paul Lukas, Mary Astor
Writer(s): Sinclair Lewis (novel), Sidney Howard (dramatisation), Sidney Howard (screenplay)

Plot: A retired auto manufacturer and his wife take a long-planned European vacation only to find that they want very different things from life...

Continue reading...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review! It's embarrassing to admit that I had this BD since it's release date. It's been sitting next to me in my home office HT since then, and I still haven't watched it yet. Just too much to watch and not enough time to watch everything. I thought it would get better with no sports to watch on TV, but it's still the same. A great movie that I really enjoy watching every 5-7 years. I need to stop the embarrassment and watch the damn disc. :blush:

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Great disc! I thought this transfer really brought it to life.
I think more could be said about Ruth Chatterton. She is layered and plays Fran with such desperate frustration, never letting go of an innate intelligence that understands when she has been her own worst enemy.I
Great work from her. You really know once you hear her part done on the radio presentation by Ninette Sunderland, just how good Chatterton was.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
there is a scene in the film when Dodsworth waits up for Fran and they fight..... the way Chatterton

hides her body from her husband as she tells him off, it is clear that the relationship is over for

her.... just fantastic work, Ms. C!

after seeing this film the first time, i made a point of trying to catch all of Ruth Chatterton's films she

is an EXCELLENT actor.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
A very good review. I just love this film and it looks great in this release. That opening shot with Sam looking out his office window at the factory bearing his name is one of my favorite openings,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review! It's embarrassing to admit that I had this BD since it's release date. It's been sitting next to me in my home office HT since then, and I still haven't watched it yet. Just too much to watch and not enough time to watch everything. I thought it would get better with no sports to watch on TV, but it's still the same. A great movie that I really enjoy watching every 5-7 years. I need to stop the embarrassment and watch the damn disc. :blush:
Well, I took care of that embarrassment this afternoon. I concur with this review as this great movie never looked better than I what I viewed today. Just beautiful! As I stated in my "Crawdaddy's Random Thoughts" thread, my favorite line from that movie is the classic "He's Gone to Shore".

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks