1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dodgeball Unrated on 08/02/05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Christian Preischl, May 2, 2005.

1. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Without my commenting on the film in general, here's the details from DVD Answers:

Man, FOX are really going into overdrive with the unannounced double-dip these days, aren't they? They used to be great, one of the studios I trusted most when it came to things like that. Not anymore, though.

Chris

2. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Yeah, here is another example of the many titles that
    are on the way that are in the category of "double dips
    for greed by studios". Why couldn't FOX be honest with
    consumers and announce and distribute the rated and
    unrated versions at the same time? Because there would
    be less money made from a double-dip. Thanks, FOX. [​IMG]

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Adding in 1 minute? 1 Minute?

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Boy, am I glad I held off buying the PG-13 DVD.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Wasn't Dodgeball 2.35:1. Hopefully that was just a mistake in the announcement.

Yeah, what's the deal with all this double dip stuff that Fox is doing. I suspect this is a reason why there has been no chat with them (so far, but it is still overdue) this year. They know we will hammer them about this stuff and other dubious decisions they have made recently.

6. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Totally unworthy, gimmee a break Fox.

7. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    A useless double-dip for a useless flick. One of the worst films I have ever seen, bar none.

8. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Well I recieved "Dodgeball" as a Christmas gift so there's no way in hell I'm double-dipping, especially for one meazily minute. I've always preferred unrated cuts of films as opposed to the theatrical versions, but in this case I'm going to have to pass. Fox is really starting to tick me off. I also recieved "The Day After Tomorrow" and "I, Robot" as Christmas gifts only to find that they're being double-dipped. They should start showing a little respect for the customer, and as stated above, release BOTH versions simultaneously instead of pulling the wool over our eyes. Between this and Sony's "full screen only" policy, the future of DVD releases is looking pretty grim. It's no wonder I'm hesitant about picking up certain titles nowadays, leaving me to wonder if something better is going to be released down the line.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

"I just threw up in my mouth a little bit."

That line made me guffaw.

Doug

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Good thing I haven't picked it up yet...

Jason

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

I just saw this a couple of days ago. It was indeed 2.35:1. Hopefully that was a misprint in the press release!

I found the first half of it to be very funny, but was astonished at the number of missed opportunities for jokes in the second half. It's like he forgot to write any jokes after the halfway point. . .

12. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Fox sucks. Plain and simple. They used to be one of my favorites, their titles rarely disappointed. Now they're almost beating Artisan for the "who cares about the customer, just print more money" category. And anyone who can make Artisan look good...well that's pretty bad.

I hated the film anyway, but this just makes me hate the studio even more. Thanks for nothing, Fox. Hopefully this'll just sit on the shelves like
    'Club Dread: Unrated'.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

1 minute.

1 minute.

Okay I'm as big a sucker for the double dip as there is out there, but come on, give me something to work with here.

This might be the first double dip of a film that I liked (yes, not ashamed to say it) that I actually will pass on...

14. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

Well, that version was mass-market and on-sale day one.

Unrated, who knows?

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    so I guess it's the same commentary from the previous edition, as well as a new commentary with the same guys? Plus a third commentary with just the director? Interesting...

I enjoyed seeing this movie in the theater - it was a fun comedy along the lines of Old School - so I might pick this one up.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Hey, I got a free "Average Joe's Gym" T-shirt with my DVD of Dodgeball. 1 measly minute doesn't compare with that! I'm happy with what I bought. Sorry Fox, no double-dip here.

-Lyle J.P.

17. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    This double dip is about as useful as a cock-flavored lollipop. [​IMG] (If you don't get that, then you didn't see it in the theater because they edited the DVD... bastards.)

Doug

18. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Funny. The R3 version I have sounds exactly like this to-be-released double-dip. The same thing seems to have happened with I, Robot: other regions all seem to have had a 2-disc SE right from the beginning, whereas R1 was a more limited release that is now being double-dipped and "upgraded" to SE. What a crock -- for R1 consumers; all the material was obviously already available, but was held back.

I must say the "joke commentary" is pretty hilarious, with Marshall and Vaughn starting on time, Stiller is "late", and shows up a few minutes into it apologising profusely for being late, then munching on chips and worrying that the mic will pick up all the sounds, then he asks the audio engineer if it's being picked up and if it can be edited out etc etc. Then about a half-hour (or more?) into it, they all get into a fight (verbal, not fisticuffs), someone gets pissed off and leaves, then one of the remaining fellows claims that all commentaries are the same, no one really listens to them, and promptly puts on the Farrelly brothers' commentary from There's Something About Mary, which plays for the rest of the running time

19. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

I wouldn't buy this DVD even if that extra minute was wall-to-wall nudity. This "unrated" stuff is getting ridiculous.

20. RobLe

RobLe Stunt Coordinator

I have yet to buy it, so I might pick up the double-dip...but this just crazy, they really should actually keep the consumer in mind and stop only caring about fattning their wallets.