Dodgeball anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

A group of us at work are thinking of buying a bunch of those red balls and starting a dodge ball league at the local gym.

I'm just curious if anyone else has the desire to play this game or if we are just nuts?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Jesus!?! Dodgeball?!?
    This was the worst invention in history. This always gave the jock assholes a legit excuse to pound the shit out of the not so athletically inclined...and with the gym teacher's blessings to boot!

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Wow, take me back to my childhood...I LOVED dodgeball. Maybe I was one of the more athletically inclined at that age (too bad that passed long ago). A teacher playing though..that's a bit much.

The best game EVER we played in gym class in high school. Two sides, in the wrestling practice room (padded floors). The goal: get the ball (a deflated rugby ball) to touch a square on the opposite wall (like end zones) while protecting your own. The square was a taped off area, maybe 1 foot a side. The only rule, you had to stay on your knees the whole time. Full contact, no stoppage of play. all-out gym warfare. Loved that game.

Chris

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I think it would be awesome. Could end up becoming like the next BASEketball. [​IMG]
    And a funny incident I had in high school. I got hit and was going to the side since I was out and this kid me again. (in the face) I yelled "Jesus Christ you fucking piece of shit, I'm already out". Everybody just stopped and their jaws dropped. I ended up having to sit out the rest of class, but man was it hilarious. My friends were like "man, i wouldn't have the balls to yell that" etc...

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hahaha, oh the fond memories of dodgeball. I was a great pitcher in hardball, so I could REALLY put that extra zip into the ball to make it hurt [​IMG] Dam how I wish I was back in high school!!!

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I used to love dodgeball. I was slow so I'd hide behind everyone on my side. [​IMG] [​IMG] Of course, when the numbers got down, it was harder to hide behind people. I was always one of the last to get hit at least.

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I always loved dodgeball, and me and a couple friends actually considered getting a league together several years back (nothing came of it, though).

I always considered it the one game in gym class where the playing field was almost level. Sure, the jocks may have been able to inflict a real hurt on people, but they were always the primary target, and usually the first ones out. I was never the most athletic kid in the class, but I was usually one of the last people out, and often managed to last it out until the end. One of my fondest dodgeball memories was the day it came down to just myself on one side, and three others on the opposing team. We were playing three-pin (same as dodgeball, but each team had 3 bowling pins they had to protect--first team to eliminate the other team or all three pins won), and each side had one pin left. My big advantage was that I had all the balls (no pun intended). I'd roll over one at a time and wait for them to throw it back so I could catch it. I managed to get them down to one person. My plan was to roll the ball out of reach, then nail the pin when he went for it. He realized this, and said he wasn't going for it; however, he leaned back as he said this, and his calf brushed the pin, knocking it over. Sure, it wasn't the best way to win, but it was still a win, and I was the sole survivor.

9. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

We called it Slaughter Ball. We had one uncoordinated kid who always felt he needed to do some sort of fancy jump spin to avoid the ball (can't remember him ever trying to catch em). Some how it always ended up with him getting hit in the groin. Slaughter Ball was stopped about 10+ years ago in our school districts because too many parents complained that it was too violent.
    [​IMG]

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I LOVED dodgeball!!!
    I was one of the smaller, faster ones who could actually dodge the balls!
    WOOHOOOOO!!!!

11. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I also loved Dodgeball...kinda. I was always one of the first ones out for some reason. It was my athletic inability at the time...grrr... [​IMG]

12. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Dodge Ball was always a blast for me. Try to set up a league, it'll probably work out ok.
    JQ

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Dodgeball was great. I was usually the first one out, like Brian Harnish. However, sometimes I wouldn't be noticed, which is sort of the way things were for me in gym class and school in general [​IMG], and would be one of the last people out. I am nowhere near an athlete, I am more of an intellectual type of person. Scott Leopold was right about the jocks getting out first a lot of the time, since they are the popular ones that everyone wants to get out. I think that I actually got some of those types of people out. Sometimes being unpopular has its advantages [​IMG]!

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

"It's dodgeball time bitch!"

I remember in elementary school, we called dodgeball "warball," and we used foam balls instead of actual real red plastic balls. We also had many different versions of "warball" kind of like what Christopher P said earlier in this thread.

When I got to middle school, we didn't play real dodgeball till 8th grade, and that was fun. We had a whole 90 minutes of dodgeball to play on the last day of school. Now that was fun, especially since I kicked some major ass. Then again, there were a lot of geeky kids in my PE class, so that might be the reason why.

I never got to play dodgeball in PE during high school (I'm done with PE since all you need here in Vegas is 2 years of it). But I'm all up for a dodgeball league. Maybe I can get one going in the Clark County School District...

15. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I think this should be an Olympic event in the future. Or at least a tv show called "Celebrity Dodgeball" with ordinary people on one team and A-list celebs on the other.

16. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

We played a version of dodgeball. I believe it is the most senseless, pointless, and cruel games one can play. I often refused to participate, and when forced to play, walked to center and asked whoever had the ball to get it over with.

Quite a few confrontations with teachers over that one.

Never quite understood the point of forcing children to play a game which, when played properly, causes pain.

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Dodgeballs hurt when you can't see without your thick glasses [​IMG]

19. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Dodgeball ruled.

Yes, the jocks would act like pricks, but it was sweet revenge to nail them in the head.

-JNS

20. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor