What's new

Dodge Dakota owners. (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
After spending 600 bucks in the last two weeks to fix my truck (97 GMC Sonoma) I've decided it's time to get something else (this thing has been in 5 times for major repairs). I've been looking into a Dodge Dakota, probably a '97-'99. What are some of your opinions on them? Anyone have any good links to customer review sites? Thanks.

Dan

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'd look at the latest Consumer Reports Auto issue etc to see what they've found out as well as the past few years repair ratings they list out.
I for one have owned 2 Dodges both of which have had terrible transmissions. I did some research on the web and found that there a BUNCH of folks who own various Dodges, and all had the same complaints: Transmission problems. (Not to mention other quality issues)
However, the Dakota seems to fair pretty well on some sites like Edmunds.com and Epionions.
Here's a Dakota website that seems to have lots of info.
http://www.dodgedakotas.com/cgi-bin/...ards/search.pl
I for one won't buy another Dodge product, but maybe you'll have better luck!
Alfer

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Some friends have had Dakotas, and said pretty much what Alf said above - the engines are great, but the rest of the truck is questionable. If I was in the market for a truck, I'd look at the Toyota Tacoma first, with the Tundra a close second (reliability is important to me...)

DennisHP

Second Unit
I've owned 2 Dakota's. The first was 97 Sport, standard cab 2 wheel drive, v6, 5sp and the second, and still my primary vehicle, is a 99 Sport Club Cab, 4x4, v8, automatic. I have had no problems with either and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Here is the web site to probably the most used Dakota forum out there...
http://www.dakota-truck.net
Go to the "DML Archives" and you can look at posts from the past several years up to now. These people will tell you the good, bad and ugly.

TimDoss

Second Unit
A friend and I both have 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cabs and
I used to have(now my ex-wife's)a 2000 Dodge Durango...
not a single problem with any of them. I love my truck
and highy recommend it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've got a friend who has a 97' 4x4 Dakota and loves it. No major problems with it.
My company provides me with a Dodge Durango. It's a 2001 4x4, got it in January, put 20k on it already and have had no problems.
I doubt I'd buy one, but they are nice.
Peace Out~:D

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I've got a 2000 extended cab and have had no problems w/ it at all. If you're looking for a mid-size truck, it's the only way to go.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Silverado owner here, but next year Dodge is suppose to introduce a new HEMI engine to use in 1500 and 2500 trucks as well as the new Dodge Charger and Grand Cherokees.
This new HEMI will be more powerfull and faster than any other truck when it comes out.
I dont like Dodge trucks due to the sad tranny's, but id take a Charger :D :D

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Silverado owner here, but next year Dodge is suppose to introduce a new HEMI engine to use in 1500 and 2500 trucks as well as the new Dodge Charger and Grand Cherokees.
This new HEMI will be more powerfull and faster than any other truck when it comes out.
I dont like Dodge trucks due to the sad tranny's, but id take a Charger :D :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Mine is in the shop as I type so I may have an attitude here. To be fair, I'm hard on vehicles, stopping at 575 mailboxes everyday has its downside. And at 99,000 miles I've had no transmission trouble...but the cooling fan quit last week ($340) and now there is a radiator problem.
The 2000 Quad Cab V-8 was an experiment in getting more space and more comfort than the Toyota Tacomas I had been using. The space and comfort was there, but I'm dying to get back in the Toyotas. I want a Tundra, but they're a tad pricey.

Jim

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I live here in Kansas also. I have a 2002 DakotaQuad 4X4 with the V-6. If I could do it again I would have opted for the V8 Magnum engine. The V6 is too much under powered for this truck. The transmission is automatic, and shifts rough...dealer said this was normal. With the new Dodge 100,000/7 year warranty I figured it was a safe buy. I had a 97' Neon that I blew the engine in about 15,000 miles outta warranty. I would not have bought the Dodge truck without the great warranty.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
As an Toyota Tacoma owner, I have to give it a below-average rating. It's extremely reliable, quite powerful (feels faster than my Acura Integra) but the interior is small and the ride is horrible. Maybe my expectations from a Toyota was too high. Check Consumer Reports or similar magazines, and you'll find they agree with my opinions. Look for a Toyota T-100 or Tundra instead....pricey but resale value is extremely good and like any Toyota, build like a tank. I'll keep mine until it dies though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks