1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Dodge Caliber SXT

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jassen M. West, May 9, 2006.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

Just picked it up last night. I love it so far. I've gotten the Harley riders staring at it as I drive.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    It's not a bad looking car at all. How does it drive?

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Nice! It's got that Nissan Murano look to it. I'm starting to like these mini-SUV/Car/Station-wagon concoctions.

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    I sat in one at the car show a while back and being 6'4" it was too small and cramped for me...plus I was shocked at how cheap and flimsy the interior looked and felt.

I was hoping it would compete with the Matrix that I'd like to get, but sadly it wasn't even close in quality and storage room etc.

5. Jassen M. West

Do you smell that ,, mmmmmnnn a thread fart. Have fun in your Matrix.

For those interested, it drives great. I haven't tossed it around too much, trying to break it in properly, but I have to keep an eye on my speed. 80 feels like 65, the engine is nice and quiet, the Boston Acoustics speakers+sub sound great. There is an info button on the radio, when pressed it will tell you the name of the song on the CD or some radio stations. No its not Sirrus. The removable flashlight has already had use, as well as the Ipod holder. Lots of nice little features. As far as storage room goes, I plan on using it as a tent next time I go camping.

6. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

I was looking at a black one on Friday and was quite surprised at how inexpensive they are. Didn't get to drive it though as it was straight off the truck. I take it yours is loaded? Do you have the CVT transmission and if so what's that feel like?

7. Jassen M. West

I have the manual transmission, I like having the power right when I need it, not having a computer figure that out. I hear that the CVT will hold the engine at high RPM to give you power if needed. Mine has power windows, locks, sunroof, remote keyless entry, alarm, air conditioning with "chill zone" full sized spare, 6 disc changer with MP3 capability, 6 speaker with subwoofer Boston Acoustic system, lift gate drop down speakers, cruise control. Steering wheel radio control, leather wrapped steering wheel, oil changes for life (with a clause of course) The only thing I'm missing is the alloy rims, its cheaper to replace wheel covers than a whole rim to me. I got all this for 17,185. After driving around for the day I'm very happy with my purchase, it handles wet roads very nicely and accelerates to highway speeds without even trying. I don't think there is a better deal out there.

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Snazzy!

(You kids still say "Snazzy", right?)

It sounds loaded. Very nice!

I'd be grateful if you'd post an update when you get gas mileage figures.

Thanks for sharing!

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Matrix is showing it's age, always had a cheapy-plasticky-buzzy-rattly interior, is noisey and somewhat underpowered and costs 3k more than it should. And I've worked for a Toyota dealership for almost 35 years. It's also dead reliable and fairly good on gas.

That Caliber looks like a mini-Dodge Magnum, which to me is a good thing, and it's almost scarily cheap to buy. Good to know I'm not the only one driving a stick these days (04 Mazda 3s--the poor man's BMW 3 series).

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Steve, you're right. It looks like a Magnum larva. (And, yes, that's a good thing.)

I really like the Matrix, too, and can't say anything bad about it except for one thing: Toyota really pushed the Matrix's more powerful engine which, under non-track (i.e., everyday) driving conditions, actually had a lot less usable torque than the smaller engine. I don't know anyone who's in the habit of keeping their RPMs above 6000 during their commutes in order to take advantage of the larger engine's top-heavy torque curve. The Matrix's smaller engine had a lot more torque at lower RPM (albeit, with a much lower peak at high RPM), which made driving a lot more pleasant and responsive in real traffic.

I remember when AMC stopped making their incredible Javelin/AMX so they could retool to make the Gremlin. That was a truly sad day in automotive history.

Dodge halted production of the Neon so they could bring this puppy to market. It doesn't quite make up for the Gremlin, but it's definitely a big step in the right direction. I'll never miss the Neon (and, yes, I owned one), but the Caliber is definitely a keeper.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    To me, it looks like someone left a Durango in the clothes dryer too long.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Actually, you know what it looks like??

In 1996, I bought a Dodge Avenger:
    [​IMG]

They discontinued it in 2001 and Dodge was going to bring it back in 2007 with some "Modifications" [​IMG]

This is what the Dodge Avenger "Concept" car looked like:
    [​IMG]

It looks like the Avenger 'Concept Car' may have been turned into the Caliber.

13. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

And by this time next year the Matrix will be replaced by a five-door wagon version of the 2008 Corolla. Toyota will have its full-model change (FMC) for the Corolla in Spring 2007 and promises a much better car than the current models. I expect a new I-4 engine with more power, better fuel consumption and quiete operation and you choice of five-speed automatic or six-spee manual transmissions.

14. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That was Toyota trying to do what Honda did with their SI models--produce an engine that they could advertise as being 180hp but not tell folks it only did so between 7200 and 7400 rpm, hence the need for a 6 speed tranny. It was of course also on the Celica GTS and is also on the Corolla XRS.

Lotsa bogus warranty claims from bad drivers of 6 speed manual models who downshifted to 2nd when they wanted 4th and blew the engine to smithereens. We had one Celica GTS hotshot who got 3 new engines out of Toyota after he figured out how to erase the OBD-II telltale data.

I don't think we'll see Toyota continuing this strategy on the next-generation Corolla/Matrix, and the Celica is already gone--far outclassed by the cheaper and much better looking Scion TC.

I think the Corolla will become much more refined and have better handling and such. The Europeans have long demanded a high degree of refinement in this size car, with interiors and features comparable to those on larger cars. The Mazda 3 and new Civic are already offering this in America, Toyota and Nissan must catch up with the Corolla and upcoming Sentra replacement. Hell, even the tiny/cheapy Honda Fit has an Acura looking interior.

I'm just hoping nothing like the chronic head gasket problems suffered by the Neon show up on these new D/C products like the Caliber and outstanding large cars like the Magnum, Charger, and Chrysler 300.

15. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I'm familiar with the stories of misshifting on the 6-speed by inexperienced / overly-assertive drivers, although I do commend Toyota for standing by these customers even though the fault lied with the owners (Acura RSX owners weren't as fortunate).

16. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

And the main reason the TC is so heavy is that damn huge moonroof that is standard equipment along with the hatchback body style. One or the other is enough of a sacrifice of body stiffness but both is just asking for trouble.

Had a TC brought in yesterday that'd been modded to the nines with a 6 page list of warranty issues, most of which were attributable to the modifications. If the owner'd wanted a WRX he shoulda bought one, not a car mainly intended to be Muffy's graduation present.

The demise of the Celica on the US market is, imho, a result of too high a price on the GTS and too little content on the GT (rear drum brakes!).

The Corolla XRS is dead in the water, justifiably, as it's twist beam rear axle and grocery getter looks just didn't appeal to most buyers in that class.

Toyota has some history with supercharging, and it would be interesting if they took a serious stab at the WRX via that route on the new Corollas.