Documentaries on the attack on Pearl Harbor

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I heard a portion of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's address to Congress the day after Pearl Harbor on the radio for the Anniversary of the attack. I heard things I never knew occurred. It made me wonder about one of the SE box sets of Bruckheimer's Pearl Harbor. I never bought those, but I do recall that one of the extras was 2 History Channel documentaries about the real attack.

I am wondering of those are: 1. any good, 2. available separately, and 3. contains the footage of Roosevelt's address to Congress.

What got me wondering was that he mentions that American ships were torpedoed between Hawaii and San Francisco. And that other nations were attacked. I'd like to learn more about that because I don't think these are discussed in school.

I did find an MP3 and text of the address to congress. Thanks!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Ah yes, the "ships attacked on the high seas between Hawaii and San Francisco". Let's be clear, they were much closer to Hawaii at the time. The "other nations" bit is absolutely correct, though : 8 December (from their side of the International Date Line) was when the Japanese struck simultaneously at American, British, and Dutch possessions in the Pacific, from Hong-Kong and Malaya, to the Philippines and Midway Island, as far as Hawaii. The basic motive was to seize the oil fields of the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), as the American oil embargo (the U.S. was the world's largest exporter of oil at that time) intended to pressure Japan over its invasion of China was endangering the war effort and the economy.

A very interesting bit of cinema is "Hawai Mare Oki Kaisen", or "War at Sea from Hawaii to Malaya", a very early bit of work by Tsurabaya Eiji (who did the effects for things like GODZILLA in later years), featuring a re-creation of the Peal Harbor attack so realistic that captured prints were spliced into American newsreels as authentic footage of the attack.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Christopher, interesting how much focus was on Pearl Harbor and not the other activities that went on December 7th and 8th, 1941.

I had dome some addtional reading about the road to war and how the United States was concerned about Japan's desire to conquer China that resulted in the oil embargo and other resources that added to the factors that pushed Japan into a corner.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Speaking of Pearl Harbor, I was reading an article a few days ago that was posted on a local newspaper's web site and was kind of surprised by what I read.

I certainly hope they realize that Pearl Harbor takes a lot of liberties with history.

Here is the entire article: Pearl Harbor 101

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper