What's new

Doctor Zhivago impressions (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I always thought this was a great transfer, but that was while watching it on my 46" HDTV. What it will look like on my front projector may well be a different story.

Edge enhancement gives almost everything on screen a ghostly halo. It is very obtrusive at times, while other scenes are free from its distraction.
WSR liked the sharpness, detail, and accurate fleshtones, but the EE appears to have been a relatively large distraction to them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So here we are some years after it's release on DVD, and I'm curious to know what others think of the Zhivago DVD now. Is it something you think Warner might revisit on DVD (or HD/BR)? Or is this edition definitive enough by today's standards? I'll confess that the recent release of Warren Beatty's Reds has made me think about this title (which I currently don't have but would like to get). Thanks for any input.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Guy_K said:
I saw all three of his prime epics. I thought Zhivago was the weakest of them. I thought the acting by Shariff and the two supporting women was pretty flat, and it really dragged towards the end.
Two supporting women? There aren't any female speaking parts... which is rather amazing for such a long film.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
John Alderson said:
Two supporting women? There aren't any female speaking parts... which is rather amazing for such a long film.
...You are probably thinking of "Lawrence of Arabia". Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin have prominent speaking parts in "Dr. Zhivago",
Regards,

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
If the comments regarding EE in Zhivago pertain to the first reel, they are most likely dupe problems with the "restoration," which was done several years ago, and not EE.
RAH
I can't help but notice how you put "restoration" in quotes :)
Vincent

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Ken_McAlinden said:
...You are probably thinking of "Lawrence of Arabia". Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin have prominent speaking parts in "Dr. Zhivago",
Regards,
Blech, you're right of course... I saw the comment about Sharif above and my mind switched to LoA. I really am a big fan of both films, my two favorites from Lean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks