Doctor Zhivago impressions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Coleman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

In short the picture is marvelous. One has to take into account that it is mostly a monochrome type of film so they colors aren't as vibrant as today. Taking that into account the picture is beautiful and vibrant. Ever bit as impressive a job done on NORTH BY NORTHWEST and BEN-HUR!
    I must say that I was also impressed by the quality of the sound. I'm pleased that they allowed for the directionalized dialogue as opposed to keeping it all in the center channel. Certainly the soundtrack has a vibrancy to it not before heard on Home Video, just don't expect too much surrounds.
    Overall I'm very pleased and I forgive both MGM and WARNER for the delay in this classic title. It's certainly an worthy effort for this classic film.
    David

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Agreed. The quality of the video on Zhivago is nothing short of fantastic. [​IMG]
    Well done, Warner.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB and Lowry Digital Images deserve a lot of praise for this DVD. The picture is nothing short of perfect. The soundtrack is also superb. (although I haven't had the time to watch the entire film.)
    Just for the record, I think a company named "Cinetech" did the color correction/digital cleanup for Ben-Hur (and also some of WB's "Technicolor recomposite" transfers like Wizard of Oz and Singin' In The Rain.)
    This year is indeed one of the best for movies on DVD...I'm looking forward to any other LDI restorations (and also WB classics) in the near future because I know they'll be nothing short of excellent.

5. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I havent seen the previous LD, but I have to hand it to WARNERS: this is one solid, stunning transfer.
    Now, imagine what WB could do with a restored FORBIDDEN PLANET or ROBIN HOOD.
    And the cover is pretty nice, tho I would worry about dirt and wear and tear over the years...oh, well, at least it aint a Snapper.

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Glad to hear such good reviews! Looking forward to getting this one!

8. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

9. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

whats the Edge Enhancement like, as much as Citizen Kane?

10. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I noticed some pretty severe halo effects in certain scenes (the graveyard sequence at the start for instance) but on the whole the video quality is outstanding.

11. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

When I said monochromatic didn't mean that there were no colors or muted. The fact is that alot of the movie is shot in winter sequences which tend to not have vibrancy. Alot on interiors weren't colorful however scenes like the restaraunt and the Christmas party where very colorful!

12. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I ordered the set, never seen this Lean picture. Am I in for a treat? [​IMG]

13. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

You are in for a treat. You ordered all 3 of his Epics? Thats gonna be awesome since youve never seen em before. Not many people make movies like Lean did anymore, except for maybe Speilberg and Lucas and Jackson on the LOTR films.

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Lawrence is already in my collection and one of my favourite films. Seen Kwai a few times, but never Doctor.

Now, I must find a few hours to watch it.

15. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I saw all three of his prime epics. I thought Zhivago was the weakest of them. I thought the acting by Shariff and the two supporting women was pretty flat, and it really dragged towards the end. It was worth watching though, just so I can say that I saw it. I won't be buying the DVD though, for sure. I doubt I'll want to re-watch it.

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Not many people make movies like Lean did anymore, except for maybe Speilberg and Lucas and Jackson on the LOTR films.

------------------------------------------------------------

Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson making films like Lean did? I have seen some good movies from these three but I have yet to feel that they have made any film that has the epic feel and pacing of a Lean film. Lean's films have the force of history behind them unlike almost all of the films made by the other three.

The closest Spielberg gets to a Lean style film, as far as I am concerned, is "Empire of the Sun". The other two not even close.....not even with FOTR under his belt and I really liked that one. All IMHO.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I actually liked "Ryan's Daughter" (or as I refer to it, "Madame O'Bovary") better than "Dr. Zhivago", but the DVD presentation of "Dr. Zhivago" is very nice.

Regards,

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

finally got around to watching this (first time) and really enjoyed it.

maybe not as much as LOA or BOTRK, but i was engrossed the whole 200 minutes- no small feat.

i'm really surprised to see the overwhelmingly positive comments here in regards to the PQ though.

this disc has some of the most noticeable, distracting EE i've seen.

maybe not as bad as Warners Giant, but in some ways even more disappointing since without the ringing, this would be a close to perfect transfer of a gorgeously photographed epic.

i hope Warner has seen the light in regards to that ( use of EE) as it so needlessly mars an otherwise incredible presentation.

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    If the comments regarding EE in Zhivago pertain to the first reel, they are most likely dupe problems with the "restoration," which was done several years ago, and not EE.

RAH

20. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

well, what i saw was pretty consistent throughout the film.

seemed to lessen a bit after the intermission, but it was still apparent in many of the 'figures against stark white snow' shots.

whether it was in the 'restoration' or just in the transfer, somebody really screwed the pooch on this one.

thanks for the response, but just curious- what would cause haloing to be introduced on a 'restoration' like this?

or were you using that term facetiously in this case?

edited to add

looked up 5 different reviews on this and only one other person noted the excessive EE although he didn't seem to think it was as prevelant as the impression i left with.

he also speculated that it may have been in the film elements.

again i don't understand how that can be introduced in a photographic process.

i didn't realize this was associated w/ Lowry.