What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised by tonight’s episode, which handled the realities of the past better than most episodes of “Doctor Who”. The classic series was often oblivious to racism and bigotry of the past, and the revival has too often sanitized the past, with glib explanations and multiracial casting that wasn’t authentic to the time and place being portrayed.

This episode understood that Montgomery, Alabama in 1955 was a very dangerous place and time to be black, especially when you don’t know the unwritten rules for survival. It also understood that Montgomery, Alabama in 1955 would be an uncomfortable but significantly less dangerous place for a South Asian woman – assuming that no misunderstandings occurred.

At the same time, there was far less speechifying than there could have been. The racial attitudes of time were treated like a dangerous environmental threat, just like any of the dangerous environmental threats on the countless alien worlds that the Doctor has visited.

The episode also gave us a more complex portrayal of Rosa Parks than we usually get, anchored by a top notch performance from Vinette Robinson that neither undersold nor oversold. In school, I remember being taught that Rosa Parks was a nice old woman who was too tired to move and got fed up. It wasn’t until much later – maybe college – that I learned of her role as the secretary of the Montgomery chapter of the NAACP; the mass meeting at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in late November 1955 concerning the murders of 14-year-old Emmett Till, civil rights leader George W. Lee, and voting rights activist Lamar Smith; or that Parks had had a run-in with the bus driver several years prior, in which he had closed the doors on her and left her behind after she’d paid her fare. When she refused to give up her seat, it was an explicitly political act by someone with a full understanding of the larger implications. An astonishing amount of that context made it into this episode, in mostly organic ways – especially given that this is a British show featuring British protagonists who might not be as well versed in American civil rights history.

Josh Bowman made a good villain: someone weak and pathetic but just dangerous enough to drastically affect history. And, given his run as Jack the Ripper on the “Time After Time” series adaptation, not exactly new territory. And unlike many of the supporting roles, he could pull off a convincing American accent when the moment called for it.

It was also an interesting exploration of time travel and key moments in history: From earlier series of new “Who” we know that there are fixed points in time, so important to history and the integrity of the timeline that even the Daleks didn’t dare mess with them. However, just because they shouldn’t be messed with doesn’t mean that they can’t be messed with. But time does seem to push back; thus the TARDIS’s reluctance to leave that place and that time. While the Doctor and her friends had to work hard to get things back on track, I think the timeline helped them along; that moment on that bus needed to happen, and those words needed to be exchanged.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also liked the episode.

Initially, I wasn't sure about how I felt about the 'history lesson' ending, but the more I thought about it, the better I liked it. It really felt like a call back to the original mandate of the show - to be educational. That is why the early seasons had the 'historicals'. Granted, they may not have been accurate in the details, but were in the broad strokes. Its good that now they can be (and be more honest about the unpleasant realities that were).

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched 10 minutes of the second episode but have now given up, having watched it since the 1960s. I don't think Jodie and Chris Chibnell will trouble the show for long. Nothing wrong with a female Doctor - Michelle Gomez would be perfect.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a long write up, just one simple comment...

This was a really enjoyable episode of Quantum Leap.

And, yes, a very good episode of Doctor Who. I feel the episodes have been getting progressively better.

That's it.
I miss Quantum Leap. This definitely did have a similar type of feel of some of those episodes. It was very well done.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't have a long write up, just one simple comment...

This was a really enjoyable episode of Quantum Leap.

And, yes, a very good episode of Doctor Who. I feel the episodes have been getting progressively better.

That's it.

Wasn't my favorite episode but still solid. Ryan's reaction in meeting Rosa Parks and MLK was a highlight.

Watched 10 minutes of the second episode but have now given up, having watched it since the 1960s. I don't think Jodie and Chris Chibnell will trouble the show for long. Nothing wrong with a female Doctor - Michelle Gomez would be perfect.

I think Whittaker is going great.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mostly, "Doctor Who" horror is the kind of scary that's only scary to little kids. But every once it in a while, they pull off horror that's genuinely all ages scary. The Weeping Angels come to mind as an example.

Last night's mutant spiders really creeped me out.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree the hotel owner was more characterture than real character, but Who has always been guilty of this, overall I’m enjoying this season I like having multiple companions especially since it’s not just someone like rose making goggly eyes at the Doctor

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they're doing episodes about real historical events again, rather than just using the historical time periods as window dressing. Last night's episode might have been even more effective than the Rosa Parks episode, since it had a much more direct tie to British history and it was so personal to Yaz's own family history. And rather than get into the complicated, political, societal, ideological issues that led to the partition, it tells the story of one family in one rural community along the Radcliffe Line.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Newest Blu-Ray set of the Classic Series was just announced.

It will be Season 18 (Tom Baker's final season). Due out in late February 2019 (UK listing is up). Stories for this season:
The Leisure Hive
Meglos
Full Circle
State of Decay
Warriors' Gate
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis

This follows Season 12 (Tom Baker's first - released last June) and Season 19 (Peter Davison's first - being released this December)

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm about four episodes behind on the current series -- I really miss "Doctor Who" airing on Saturdays when there's no competition for my eyeballs -- but I wanted to post this trailer for the latest animated reconstruction of missing episodes, "The Macra Terror" with the Second Doctor:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Whittaker has made a great doctor so far. I’ve warmed up to her faster than I usually do with a new doctor.

But I think the writing has been terrible. There’s no subtlety, no nuance in how these stories are being told. It feels at time that the show is lecturing rather than entertaining. I think many of the messages they’re trying to send are worthwhile but the way they’re doing it is dramatically uninteresting.

I sincerely hope that they figure out the writing because I don’t know if I can maintain interest in the show otherwise. For all of the knocks that Steven Moffat would get when he was showrunners, his stories made me feel something, and these new ones often leave me cold.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying Whittaker as the Doctor, too. One thing I really like about her Doctor is that she's really open about how much she doesn't know, and how much she hasn't figured out, almost disconcertingly so. The previous iterations of the Doctor rarely liked to let on when they didn't have a situation figured out.

I'm also really liking Bradley Walsh as Graham and Mandip Gill as Yaz. Ryan just isn't doing anything for me, but a fault of the writing and not Tosin Cole's performance.

Strangely, the episodes not written by the showrunner have been stronger than the episodes that were written by Chibnall. "Demons of the Punjab" has been the only real standout for me so far this season.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Strangely, the episodes not written by the showrunner have been stronger than the episodes that were written by Chibnall.

I had that thought too - I haven't really enjoyed any of his episodes.

I like the casting for the companions, they're fun characters from different walks of life, and those different characterizations make for a more varied and more fun experience. I think that's one clear improvement over the Davies and Moffat eras - I'm not opposed to having a solo female companion, but the show kept falling into this quasi-romantic area where the female companion would often find herself having unrequited feelings for the Doctor, and it was getting stale that they kept going back to that well. So I'm loving that the companions this time aren't simply quasi-romantic interests. I just wish that the writing for them was better too.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the finale. It made a mini-arc with "The Woman Who Fell to Earth," "The Ghost Monument," "Demons of the Punjab," and "It Takes You Away." The Stenza carry through 3 of them. Family, loss, and acceptance carry through them as well.

For the most part, I have not had complaints with the writing. The one episode I thought the writing was awful was "Kerblam!" Just very lazy and not well thought out with an atrocious ending that was completely inconsistent with how The Doctor is portrayed throughout the season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still a bit bummed that they didn't keep the Christmas tradition alive this year, but I liked today's New Year's Day special better than any of Chris Chibnall's regular season episodes.

Charlotte Ritchie reminded me so much of a young (English) Margot Kidder in this episode that I actually found it distracting.

UNIT having been shut down due to a bureaucratic funding dispute was a fun gag.

The Doctor is normally such a pacifist, but when pushed too far -- holy crap is the vengeance brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks