What's new

Doctor Who (2 Viewers)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this, especially with a new companion. Still haven't watched the episode where apparently we lose Clara. Have the last ten or so episodes on the DVR, time for a binge watch.

Mentioned above that I changed my package with Dish and lost BBCA. Suddenly it reappeared a few weeks ago. Along with Cinemax, Starz, Encore and some other pay channels. It's a mistake of some sort, price hasn't changed, but I'm not going to say anything to them about it. I suppose I should feel a touch of guilt, but I don't :rolleyes:

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Looking forward to this, especially with a new companion. Still haven't watched the episode where apparently we lose Clara. Have the last ten or so episodes on the DVR, time for a binge watch.

Mentioned above that I changed my package with Dish and lost BBCA. Suddenly it reappeared a few weeks ago. Along with Cinemax, Starz, Encore and some other pay channels. It's a mistake of some sort, price hasn't changed, but I'm not going to say anything to them about it. I suppose I should feel a touch of guilt, but I don't :rolleyes:

It's certainly no "mistake", at least I've never heard of one from anyone I know or reading on the net. It's a free preview sample they do once and awhile to get you to upgrade and keep the package that includes the channels you get now. DirecTV has given me their "Ultimate Pack" for a month trying to get me to upgrade like I had before. Also, some of those channels promote free preview weeks.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's certainly no "mistake", at least I've never heard of one from anyone I know or reading on the net. It's a free preview sample they do once and awhile to get you to upgrade and keep the package that includes the channels you get now. DirecTV has given me their "Ultimate Pack" for a month trying to get me to upgrade like I had before. Also, some of those channels promote free preview weeks.

I don't know if it's a mistake or not. They do previews, but it's usually only for a week or so, and usually just one channel. Plus they advertise it, "Please enjoy your free preview, blah, blah, blah...". Nothing with this.

I'm getting a lot of channels I never had and it has been several weeks since this started, but enjoying it while it lasts.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I generally consider Series 7 the low point of the Moffat era, at least so far; marking the limping end of the Amy Pond era, and the muddled start of the Clara Oswald era, the heavy reliance on exclusively episodic plots -- many quite stale -- did nothing for me. The decision to keep the Impossible Girl mystery until "The Name of the Doctor" (itself a best-forgotten mess) meant that we never really got to know Clara as a character until Series 8.

It would appear that Moffat agrees with me:
“Well, there was a long time when I thought I’d only do three years. That was the absolute plan … But I didn’t enjoy my third year as much. It was a bit miserable.” ... “The workload was just insane. I wasn’t coping as well. No-one else’s fault, all mine. The 50th was looming, and I didn’t know if we could make it work. It was a tough, tough time. My darkest hour on Who was that.” ... “Matt [Smith], who was a friend and ally, was leaving – I couldn’t get him to stay. It felt like everything was blowing up around me. I was staggering into the 50th, with no Doctors contracted to appear in it, battered with endless hate mail about how I hadn’t got William Hartnell back … and Sherlock Series Three at the same time.” ... “I was pretty miserable by the end of it, and I couldn't bear to let that be the end.”

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
From that piece it doesn't appear that Moffat agrees with you (you seem to be saying that series 7 was a low point story wise), rather, Moffat noted that series 7 was a low point for him emotionally.

I rather enjoyed The Name of the Doctor. I also quite enjoyed series 7 (though it's not my favourite)--it had some standout episodes, including Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs of a Spaceship, The Angels Take Manhattan, Cold War, Hide, and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS. In particular, I found the series 7 guest stars to be particularly strong (except for the children in Nightmare in Silver).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation was that it was a low point quality-wise because it was a low point emotionally and creatively; his focus was on the 50th Anniversary Special, so getting through this series was a slog.

I did think "Asylum for the Daleks" was a pretty great episode, "Hide" was definitely interesting, and that series had one of the better Christmas Specials. The other episodes felt like remixed and recycled parts, though. "The Angels Take Manhattan" had a great conceit with the hotel, but was let down by the decision to go too ridiculously big (the Statue of Liberty as a weeping angel) and by an ending with plot holes you could drive a supertanker through.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I miss Amy Pond. Even more, the David Tennant/Catherine Tate years. They were my favorites. The chemistry between them was wonderful.

The newer stuff, with Clara and Peter Capaldi as "The Doctor" just really don't work. Looking forward to a possible re-boot with new actors.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I liked the Twelfth Doctor and Clara combo. It was much more of a partnership than infatuation (which was seen in all of the combinations of modern Who, save Donna--even Amy had bits of it).

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Still getting all kinds of new channels. Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, BBCA, and many others. My bill hasn't changed at all. This has now been going on four months of "free" programming. Have no idea what's happening, but enjoying it.

To reduce my bill, I dropped to a lower package a few months ago, just keeping HBO. That's when all this stuff started happening. I'm guessing some computer glitch, but not my problem.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

The entire serial has been animated to match the cleaned up audio recordings of the original episodes. This story, the first after the regeneration of the First Doctor into the Second Doctor, doesn't have a single intact episode, though clips from some of the episodes have survived.

No word as to aspect ratio or high definition. But the entire serial will air on BBC America Saturday, November 12.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

The entire serial has been animated to match the cleaned up audio recordings of the original episodes. This story, the first after the regeneration of the First Doctor into the Second Doctor, doesn't have a single intact episode, though clips from some of the episodes have survived.

No word as to aspect ratio or high definition. But the entire serial will air on BBC America Saturday, November 12.

This should be interesting. I'm a modern Dr. Who fan, didn't get into the series until the big reboot in 2005 or whenever it was with Eccleston.

I've never seen the old B&W episodes, except for little clips here and there. They looked pretty cheesy, and all looked like really bad video, not done on film, but it will be fun to see complete episodes. Obviously special effects have improved immensely, but looking forward to seeing the originals.

BBCA is also showing Star Trek TOS. I don't think I've seen those in probably 30 years or more. As usual, they're randomly picking episodes, no particular order.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well you have to consider the fact that Doctor Who was directly marketed as an educational children's show throughout the 1960s (gradually moving to semi-educational but not really durring Troughton's reign). It wasn't until color and Pertwee came along that the show moved into more of a teen-adult audience.

Also try watching any 60s story on vhs before you knock the video quality. No tape exists for the show's first decade on the air and what you're seeing are 16mm kiniscopes with a motion interpolation algorithm applied. They used to look a lot worse.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Also try watching any 60s story on vhs before you knock the video quality. No tape exists for the show's first decade on the air and what you're seeing are 16mm kiniscopes with a motion interpolation algorithm applied. They used to look a lot worse.

I'm basing this on really bad PBS broadcasts, can't imagine there could be anything worse :D. And I was a child, maybe 9-10 years old, but apparently born a critic. I knew even at that age how awful the presentation was.

One of the early DVD adopters. Hated pan & scan. Tried to inform friends of how much of a movie they were missing because the sides were chopped off. Nobody understood, so sad.

Anyhow, if there is a better source, I'd love to see the early episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anyhow, if there is a better source, I'd love to see the early episodes.
The one really high quality early "Doctor Who" serial is Spearhead from Space, the first serial with the Third Doctor and the first Doctor Who story shot in color. At the time, they shot the scenes in the studio on video, since reusable videotape was cheaper, but the scenes on location using film since video cameras of the era were not very feasible outside a controlled environment. Then they'd intercut the two to make the master tapes for airing. Due to a work stoppage at the BBC resulting from labor unrest, this serial was shot entirely on location using 16mm film. So in 2013, the BBC was able to go back to the original film elements and scan them in at high definition. The resulting Blu-Ray looks phenomenal, even if the story is as low budget as ever.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The one really high quality early "Doctor Who" serial is Spearhead from Space, the first serial with the Third Doctor and the first Doctor Who story shot in color. At the time, they shot the scenes in the studio on video, since reusable videotape was cheaper, but the scenes on location using film since video cameras of the era were not very feasible outside a controlled environment. Then they'd intercut the two to make the master tapes for airing. Due to a work stoppage at the BBC resulting from labor unrest, this serial was shot entirely on location using 16mm film. So in 2013, the BBC was able to go back to the original film elements and scan them in at high definition. The resulting Blu-Ray looks phenomenal, even if the story is as low budget as ever.

A bit off topic, but I was a projectionist at a tri-plex in the early '80s. We used to run 16mm films for children, along with special popcorn/drink promos to make the $. It was so embarrassing, I was ashamed, but it paid the bills.

I was already into widescreen presentations, and it was awful to have to adjust the curtains for this square 16mm print. But they were definitely higher quality than Doctor Who broadcasts.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Doctor Who" spinoff "Class", centered around four Coal Hill School students and their physics teacher, will premiere on Saturday, the 22nd of October on the BBC Three streaming service. BBC America is holding off on airing it until Spring 2017, so it can air it with the mothership in a two-hour block. Peter Capaldi will guest star as the Doctor in the series premiere. Here's the press release:
Class drops on BBC Three this October
Class_S01_001.jpg

Date: 23.09.2016 Last updated: 23.09.2016 at 17.00
Category: Drama; BBC Three; Wales; BBC Worldwide

The wait is over! Today BBC Three confirm the new YA drama, Class, written by Patrick Ness, will drop its first two episodes on BBC Three on Saturday 22 October.

Coal Hill acts like a beacon across all of space and time to any being who might want to use it for mischief….you’ll have to be on your guard.
  • Class drops on BBC Three, Saturday 22 October with the first and second episode For Tonight We Might Die and The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Peter Capaldi appears as the Doctor in the opening episode
  • Class World premiere details announced - Thursday 20 October
Peter Capaldi will join the cast of exciting new talent in the opening episode of the series, For Tonight We Might Die. Coal Hill School holds some very dark and deadly secrets in its shadows… but who will survive?

Commenting on his involvement with the new Doctor Who spin-off series, Peter Capaldi, says: “The Doctor Who family is growing, and it’s fantastic to be able to welcome the young new cast of Class in to the Whoniverse.”

It’s a new term at Coal Hill Academy, and students are preparing for their Autumn Prom. But when the school comes under attack, four alienated students must form an unlikely alliance to defeat them. And this incursion is only the beginning.

Charlie (Greg Austin), April (Sophie Hopkins), Ram (Fady Elsayed) and Tanya (Vivian Oparah), assisted by their physics teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly), are charged with a great responsibility by the mysterious alien known as the Doctor (Peter Capaldi) to guard against the creatures of nightmare that want nothing more than to find a way through to Earth and take it for their own.

Patrick Ness has created intriguing and complex characters that have to navigate their way through more than just teenage hormones, exams and detention. Joining them as series regulars are Jordan Renzo (Chosen, Troubled), Pooky Quesnel (The A Word, Accused), Nigel Betts (Boy Meets Girl, Doctor Who). The first two episodes also feature Ben Peel (The Fall, Vampire Academy), Anna Shaffer (Harry Potter, Hollyoaks), Paul Marc Davies (Doctor Who, Torchwood), and Shannon Murray (The Totally Senseless Gameshow).

YA writer and Class creator Patrick Ness, says: “At last, we can tell you a little more about Class! Though there are still many, many secrets to come. Many. Like, a lot. But of COURSE, the Doctor is in episode one! That’s how these things are done. Truly, though, I can't wait for everyone to see the show; we've worked so hard and I'm so proud of it. Soon, soon...”

Damian Kavanagh, Controller, BBC Three, says: “We know lots of BBC Three fans are Doctor Who fans so Class on BBC Three is a perfect fit. It’s nice to be back as part of the Doctor Who family.”

From Writer Patrick Ness, Director Ed Bazalgette (Poldark, Doctor Who), Producer Derek Ritchie, and Executive Producers Patrick Ness, Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin, the BBC Studios Wales production, co-produced with BBC America and BBC Worldwide.

To watch the Class cast YouTube and Facebook streamed Q&A again, please visit the Class website bbc.co.uk/class

For more news and updates, follow the official BBC Class accounts:

CM5

Grab your tickets now!
An exclusive World premiere of the first episode will take place at Rich Mix on Thursday 20 October, the home of Coal Hill Academy, Shoreditch, with doors opening at 6pm.

Tickets are limited and are now available via the BBC Shows and Tours website bbc.co.uk/showsandtours.

Drawn at random, successful applicants will be allowed a maximum of one pair of tickets each.

The newly announced series regulars are:
  • Jordan Renzo, a relative newcomer with only three prior credits -- two short films and the Harvey Kietel war drama Chosen -- to his name.
  • Pooky Quesnel, who has had a long career in British television dating back to the early nineties. Presumably she'll be playing a parent or a Coal Hill teacher.
  • Nigel Betts, another veteran actor of British television. Presumably he'll be reprising his "Doctor Who" role of Mr. Armitage, the Coal Hill teacher who introduced Clara Oswald to Danny Pink.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Well you have to consider the fact that Doctor Who was directly marketed as an educational children's show throughout the 1960s (gradually moving to semi-educational but not really durring Troughton's reign). It wasn't until color and Pertwee came along that the show moved into more of a teen-adult audience.

Precisely and you do NOT watch Doctor Who for the special effects or "modern" look and feel. It was known as the "thinking man's Sci-Fi show" and nothing like it is today. That's why I am more of a Classic Who fan and in fact you can forget the shows altogether, just read the novels. Most of them are very good stories and your mind is the best at creating the visuals anyway. I have read most of the novels and love them just as much if not more.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Precisely and you do NOT watch Doctor Who for the special effects or "modern" look and feel. It was known as the "thinking man's Sci-Fi show" and nothing like it is today. That's why I am more of a Classic Who fan and in fact you can forget the shows altogether, just read the novels. Most of them are very good stories and your mind is the best at creating the visuals anyway. I have read most of the novels and love them just as much if not more.

Will have to find the books. Maybe a bit naive, but never knew there were novels this was based on. Just thought it was a "TV" show.

Novels are always better than whatever ends up on a screen. Your mind can imagine things, get much more involved with the characters, create its own imaginary worlds far better than actors and special effects can do. :)

Although I was very impressed with most of the "Harry Potter" films. They came really close to what Rowling's written words were.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If he's referring to the Target books, those are all novelizations of tv episodes, not originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks