What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really loved tonight's episode. The glimpses we got into the other areas of the TARDIS, including (at last!) the swimming pool, were great. I'm particularly interested in what Clara read in The History of the Time War. Either she knows more than she's letting on, or the Doctor's true identity is someone that any of us would recognize.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also really liked this episode.But there are a lot of reviews and fans really bashing this episode.After watching this twice, here is what I've observed.The TARDIS engine key said "SMITHS"This is the third time that Clara is holding an umbrella.With the TARDIS leaking the past, here were the quotes from past Doctors and companions.SUSAN: "Well I made up the name TARDIS from its initials. Time and relative dimension in space."THIRD DOCTOR: "Dimensionally transcendental"JO: "What's that mean?"FOURTH DOCTOR: "That trans dimensionally engineering. It's bigger Inside than out." NINTH DOCOR: "The assembled hoards of Genghis Khan couldn't get through that door and believe me, they've tried."AMY POND: "We are in space."MARTHA JONES: "Box with that room just rammed in."IAN: "That thing that looks like a police box standing in a junkyard, it can move anywhere in time and space."The rooms we saw Inside the TARDIS:Swimming poollibraryObservatoryAntique room (probably things from Doctor's past adventures)Power source roomArchitectural Reconfiguration SystemIs the Architectural Reconfiguration System room where the Doctor got the motorcycle from a few episodes back?Inside the Library, Clara read parts of the "History of the Time War" book.If everyone died, how did the book get written?Clara seems like she knows more than she's leading on.After reading the Doctor's real name, she seemed like she knew who it was.Also saying "So that's who."Are we going to know who it is once its revealed?Inside of the library there were jars labeled "Encyclopedia Gallifrey"Voices being leaked from the jars saying "Children, time and space"Zombie Clara chasing Clara saying "Why are you here?"

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just watched it again. I noticed that at the beginning in the Salvage Vessel the photo is folded so we only see two brothers, while at the end when time is reset one brother has the little bit of decency and now the photo is unfolded and we see all three brothers. I wonder if this bit of changing is related to Clara saying things changed at the end of the Rings of Akhaten.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
JohnS said:
I also really liked this episode.But there are a lot of reviews and fans really bashing this episode.After watching this twice, here is what I've observed.The TARDIS engine key said "SMITHS"This is the third time that Clara is holding an umbrella.With the TARDIS leaking the past, here were the quotes from past Doctors and companions.SUSAN: "Well I made up the name TARDIS from its initials. Time and relative dimension in space."THIRD DOCTOR: "Dimensionally transcendental"JO: "What's that mean?"FOURTH DOCTOR: "That trans dimensionally engineering. It's bigger Inside than out."NINTH DOCOR: "The assembled hoards of Genghis Khan couldn't get through that door and believe me, they've tried."AMY POND: "We are in space."MARTHA JONES: "Box with that room just rammed in."IAN: "That thing that looks like a police box standing in a junkyard, it can move anywhere in time and space."The rooms we saw Inside the TARDIS:Swimming poollibraryObservatoryAntique room (probably things from Doctor's past adventures)Power source roomArchitectural Reconfiguration SystemIs the Architectural Reconfiguration System room where the Doctor got the motorcycle from a few episodes back?Inside the Library, Clara read parts of the "History of the Time War" book.If everyone died, how did the book get written?Clara seems like she knows more than she's leading on.After reading the Doctor's real name, she seemed like she knew who it was.Also saying "So that's who."Are we going to know who it is once its revealed?Inside of the library there were jars labeled "Encyclopedia Gallifrey"Voices being leaked from the jars saying "Children, time and space"Zombie Clara chasing Clara saying "Why are you here?"

Humm, there must have been quite a bit of editing done on the BBC America broadcast. Most of those were not in the version I saw. The rooms were, but not the "leaking past" parts. Unless you just meant in general from prior Doctor Who classic shows where the companions said those quotes. It would've been really neat if you could hear voices from the past through the TARDIS echo when it leaked if not done that way. BBCA does edit some I know, if you compare them to a bought episode, there are several things I have noticed from every episode in comparison to what was broadcast edited.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
Humm, there must have been quite a bit of editing done on the BBC America broadcast. Most of those were not in the version I saw. The rooms were, but not the "leaking past" parts. Unless you just meant in general from prior Doctor Who classic shows where the companions said those quotes. It would've been really neat if you could hear voices from the past through the TARDIS echo when it leaked if not done that way. BBCA does edit some I know, if you compare them to a bought episode, there are several things I have noticed from every episode in comparison to what was broadcast edited.
I saw/heard all of this on BBC America. If you were watching with closed captioning you could see most of the quotes from the past. Now, sometimes the episode is edited more in later showings than the first airing in the night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why, but Mark Gatiss's episodes of "Doctor Who" always seem to leave me cold. That was true of "Cold War", and it was true of "The Crimson Horror". It just seems like he's checking of the typical "Doctor Who" episode boxes; there's something perfunctory about his episodes.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The Crimson Horror I really hated this episode.Most of it didn't feel like a Doctor Who episode and in turn felt like a Jenny and Vastra spinoff.Some of the comedic moments made me groan.I was really disappointed that the Doctor drops off Clara.I really hated it when the kids know she's a time traveler.Sneak peak into next weeks episode is really turning me off too when the Doctor does take the kids with them.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
JohnS said:
Sneak peak into next weeks episode is really turning me off too when the Doctor does take the kids with them.
I believe next week's episode is another Neil Gaiman episode, so I am quite looking forward to it.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
So far, I can't say I have enjoyed any of this season of Doctor Who, with a few rare exceptions. I still like the most shows from Eccleston and Tennant, but have not cared much at all for Matt Smith and most of those. There are some exceptions because I thought the 2012 Christmas episode was really good and just felt more like the Doctor I know from years past. But the writing and direction they are going since then has left me feeling very disappointed. I thought we were returning to more of a classic type Who with the title sequence, his cloths, new TARDIS control room and such from the Christmas show, even the Doctor seemed more like the version of him more true to character. Now, I have no idea and can't say I have enoyed any of the Clara shows since then especially.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it seems the characterization of the Doctor is all over the place, from his old self, and then he tranposes into a romantic love drawn puppy, what is so special about Oswin/clara that the Doc loves her so, The Doctor has always cared about his companions, but it was'nt love. Plus lately the plots have been indecipherable.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Hewell said:
The Doctor doesn't love her he's "fascinated" by her. She's a mystery to him.
Exactly, she's a specimen under his microscope. He's fond of her, he appreciates her cleverness, but she's with him on the TARDIS because she's something he can't explain.I also don't think it's a matter of the Doctor being "true to character"; I would argue that each Doctor has been portrayed consistently, and that there are differences in personality and temprament with each. The core of the character is the same, but how that is portrayed varies from Doctor to Doctor. The first few episodes of each new Doctor are written for a generic Doctor, but then the writers start writing toward the actor's strengths and certain qualities unique to that regeneration emerge.The Eleventh Doctor is colder and more ruthless than the Ninth and Tenth. He's aware of this about himself, and hides it behind the frantic zaniness, but there in moments of real crisis where the "real" Eleventh Doctor emerges from behind the facade, there's a real stillness to Smith's performance. His confrontation with Clara on the cliff near the end of "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS" being a perfect example.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
Exactly, she's a specimen under his microscope. He's fond of her, he appreciates her cleverness, but she's with him on the TARDIS because she's something he can't explain.I also don't think it's a matter of the Doctor being "true to character"; I would argue that each Doctor has been portrayed consistently, and that there are differences in personality and temprament with each. The core of the character is the same, but how that is portrayed varies from Doctor to Doctor. The first few episodes of each new Doctor are written for a generic Doctor, but then the writers start writing toward the actor's strengths and certain qualities unique to that regeneration emerge.The Eleventh Doctor is colder and more ruthless than the Ninth and Tenth. He's aware of this about himself, and hides it behind the frantic zaniness, but there in moments of real crisis where the "real" Eleventh Doctor emerges from behind the facade, there's a real stillness to Smith's performance. His confrontation with Clara on the cliff near the end of "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS" being a perfect example.

Nope, completly disagree with this mostly. To me, Tennant's Doctor was the best all around and was way more convincing and cold than anything Smith has done. The episode School Reunion was a good example of this and so was several others. He had a more icy look and feel and you could see it in his eyes. To me, Smith is more like a parady of the Doctor most of the time in his antics, with only a very rare glimpse of his true self. As I said before, I am just not a Smith fan, he simply is not convincing to me.

Also, it has already been stated that Smith is more than just fascinated by her. He has a romantic connection to her as well and so does she with him. This has been written in both interviews and in video clips from the behind the scenes of the show. Yes, she is intriguing to him, but their depth goes beyond just fascination and lab rat.

While it's true that each Doctor is indeed a bit different from the last, there are those more convincing in the role than others. In fact, in EW's Doctor Who issue they asked for votes on readers favorite poll. No surprise, the top 5 were Tom Baker #1 and Tennant was #2 with Davidson #3, Smith #4 and Eccleston #5. It was good to see Tom in the BBC Special interview all these years later and Leela. You don't get any better than those two and that's why classic Who always seems to be the most consistant for me.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
On May 27th Studio Canal will be releasing Doctor Who and the Daleks and Daleks-Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. movies both on bluray.Both are region B and are not being released in region A.Since I have a multi-region bluray player, I will be preordering these.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Jeffery_H said:
Nope, completly disagree with this mostly. To me, Tennant's Doctor was the best all around and was way more convincing and cold than anything Smith has done. The episode School Reunion was a good example of this and so was several others. He had a more icy look and feel and you could see it in his eyes. To me, Smith is more like a parady of the Doctor most of the time in his antics, with only a very rare glimpse of his true self. As I said before, I am just not a Smith fan, he simply is not convincing to me.

Also, it has already been stated that Smith is more than just fascinated by her. He has a romantic connection to her as well and so does she with him. This has been written in both interviews and in video clips from the behind the scenes of the show. Yes, she is intriguing to him, but their depth goes beyond just fascination and lab rat.

While it's true that each Doctor is indeed a bit different from the last, there are those more convincing in the role than others. In fact, in EW's Doctor Who issue they asked for votes on readers favorite poll. No surprise, the top 5 were Tom Baker #1 and Tennant was #2 with Davidson #3, Smith #4 and Eccleston #5. It was good to see Tom in the BBC Special interview all these years later and Leela. You don't get any better than those two and that's why classic Who always seems to be the most consistant for me.
Uh, Rose anyone?! If he's attracted to Clara it's sure a lot more understated than his outright swooning over Rose. I'd say he showed more of an attracttion to Amy than Clara.

And I would disagree that 10 or 11 were 'colder'. While both are very good at 'going dark' they both are more often happy; downright giddy. Eccelston's Doctor is the 'coldest' because he just came out of the Time War - lost his world, his people, and quite frankly, his hope. In fact, they did an episode where it surprised Rose that the Doctor would dance. I don't see that being a problem for Smith's or Tenant's Doctors.

I think that Smith (and Moffit) is finding his groove this season. He's calmer and more comfortable and is showing more maturity (one would hope a 1000 yr old would) and the stories are more focused and more complete. I'm liking Smith in the role; Baker and Tenant and Ecceleston are my favorites, but Smith fits in quite well.

And one final thing about being 'more convincing' - that's VERY subjective. I'd venture to say that the leading reason why Baker is because he was the Doctor the longest (10+ years, I believe) and he's the one that most fans experienced first. Tenant certainly owned the role, but he also had 4 series to grow into it. Smith's in the midst of his 3rd and has signed onto another; I'm sure that by that time he'll move up the favorite's list.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Neil Gaiman took far longer than is usually permitted to write both of his "Doctor Who" episodes, and it shows in the final product because both are standouts where everything is firing on all cylinders.Pretty ominous prequel just went online for the finale, kind of reminds me of the Doctor/Amy promos that aired on BBC when Smith first took over the role:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought this weeks episode Nightmare In Silver was horrible. A complete mess from start to finish.

I used to think Fear Her was the worst, but after tonight ...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Nightmare in SilverI just didn't like this episode. It was a mess. and I was bored. I hated, hated the kids.I don't like it when they have "tag-a-longs" The kids were terrible actors.The one thing that I quite enjoyed was Warwick Davis' performance.Overall, I'm really hating what they're doing with this second half of the season and with Clara. I had such high hopes for Clara, and now I'm just disappointed.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
JohnS said:
Nightmare in SilverI just didn't like this episode. It was a mess. and I was bored.I hated, hated the kids.I don't like it when they have "tag-a-longs"The kids were terrible actors.The one thing that I quite enjoyed was Warwick Davis' performance.Overall, I'm really hating what they're doing with this second half of the season and with Clara. I had such high hopes for Clara, and now I'm just disappointed.
I have to agree.

Someone must have reminded Moffat that Dr.Who is, at its core, a "Family" show, not an adult drama, and I am dissappointed at that.

I hate kids in shows.
I think the "Clara" mystery should have been solved immediately, not drug out over the entire season.

Definitely not Neil Gaiman's best work, but he does write in the Children's Horror genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks