What's new

Doctor Who ? (1 Viewer)

Brian Lloyd

Auditioning
I hold this series in great regard, and considering it's longevity (38 years!), the BBC are putting out R2 UK DVD releases approx. every 8 weeks. I know that R1 has followed the same line of titles so far (Spearhead from Space, Robots of Death, Five Doctors), but wondered if the earlier Doctors - william Hartnell & Patrick Troughton are as well known as Pertwee, Baker & Davison etc..

The classic Troughton story "Tomb of the Cybermen" is due to be released in the UK next Jan, & I wonder if the BBC think there would be the demand in R1.

Next March sees the release of the Tom Baker story "Ark in Space", which apparently will have branching to include the original transmission along with a version featuring alternate CGI elements of the Nerva Beacon.

So, is there a demand for early Doctor Who ? Which stories would you like released ? How is the commentary track on "The Five Doctors" (the R2 DVD has none) ?

Should the series return or was it a product of it's time(s) ?

Regards to all

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Yes, where are these DVD's?? They're 3 years overdue, if you ask me! :)
But...at least they are coming out, if a bit on the slow side.
"Wicked!" --Ace, companion of Doctor #7

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I could have sworn I've seen some Dr. Who DVDs already. Maybe I was hallucinating.

Oh and I would buy a series box set (season by season) of Dr. Who.

Brian Lloyd

Auditioning
Brad W,

You're not hallucinating....

R1 releases so far are "Spearhead from Space", "Robots of Death" & "The Five Doctors".

In R2 this year we've also had the following:-

"Remembrance of the Daleks" (McCoy), "Caves of Androzani" (Davison), "The TV Movie- Uncut" (Mcgann) & "Vengeance on Varos" (C.Baker).

Hopefully these will filter thru to you guys in R1 land.

Regards to all

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Hopefully these will filter thru to you guys in R1 land.
I too hope so! I never watched Dr. Who very closely, more like when it was on and it was the rare moment I was watching television... I'd watch it. But nevertheless, I loved what I saw and since a lot of television programs are coming out on DVD, I would love to own all sets that are put out.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I've been a huge Who fan for about 10 years...they used to play an entire story (movie format) on both Friday and Saturday nights around here.

Personally, I would like to own everything from Pertwee on.

I know that a lot of the Troughton episodes are lost, but if they're of the quality of "War Games" (the only of his I own on tape), then bring 'em on.

Hartnell, well the productions certainly look primitive compared to the later doctors, but I did buy "An Unearthly Child" and enjoy it very much.

I'd very much like to see releases scattered among all the eras, like the first three, so that one wouldn't have to wait eons for a particular doctor...(except for related series like "Key to Time" and "Trial of a Time Lord", which should be in box sets).

Cheers

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Six more Doctor Who DVDs are planned for Region 1 release in 2002. No formal announcement of titles yet, but everything points to Remembrance of the Daleks and Caves of Androzani coming out in April. Warner and BBC Worldwide may do some titles outside of those restored by the Restoration Team for Region 2 release, but those aren't expected for at least a year. The 1996 TV Movie DVD may not come to us due to complex rights issues, but everything else is fair game.
http://www.pressenter.com/~stevenma/Video_FAQ.html
http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.htm

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'll buy every single Dr Who DVD released over here. I want them all and they are way too slow in coming.

Let's have more of the good Doctor!

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I'll snap up each and everyone that comes out. I've missed the show these past few years as they are not shown around here anymore :angry:
~Kurt

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
I have almost the whole series on VHS, and I need to upgrade! IMO, the Beeb has saturated the market with Tom Baker episodes. True, he is the most recognized Doctor, but personally I'd like to see some classic episodes! (But I wouldn't mind Baker's Deadly Assassin.]
My wish list...
William Hartnell - 1963-1966
The Daleks - To go with my Peter Cushing set. ;)
The Keys of Marinus
The Time Meddler
Patrick Troughton - 1966-1969
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber
The Seeds of Death
The War Games

Jon Pertwee - 1970-1974
Terror of the Autons
The Claws of Axos
Day of the Daleks
The Sea Devils
The Three Doctors

Tom Baker - 1974-1981
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Invasion of Time
Logopolis

Peter Davison - 1981-1984
Castrovalva
Mawdryn Undead
Enlightenment
Resurrection of the Daleks
Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker - 1984-1986
Six words....
The Trial of a Time Lord
Sylvester McCoy 1987-1989
Delta and the Bannermen ('Cause I've never seen it!)
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Battlefield
The Curse of Fenric

And remember to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
If I could pick 5 from each Doctor:

William Hartnell-

"The Daleks"

"The Keys of Marinus"

"The Dalek Invasion of Earth"

"The Chase"

"The War Machines"

Patrick Troughton-

"The Invasion" (with reconstructions of eps. 1 and 4)

"The Seeds of Death"

"The War Games"

"The Mind Robber"

"The Krotons"

* "Tomb of the Cybermen" is due out next year

Jon Pertwee-

"Inferno"

"Doctor Who and the Silurians"

"Terror of the Autons"

"Day of the Daleks"

"Invasion of the Dinosaurs"

Tom Baker-

"City of Death"

"The Seeds of Doom"

"Pyramids of Mars"

"Planet of Evil"

"Genesis of the Daleks"

Peter Davison-

"Kinda"

"The Visitation"

"Earthshock"

"Mawdryn Undead"

"Enlightenment"

Colin Baker-

"The Two Doctors"

"Revelation of the Daleks"

"The Mark of the Rani"

"Attack of the Cybermen"

"The Twin Dilemma"

(not much to choose from here)

Sylvester McCoy-

(little to choose from here either; best story already

on DVD in R2)

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Personally I'd prefer if they'd release the early episodes first. I'd really like to get as many Hartnell and Troughton stories as I can. As well as Pertwee. As well as Tom Baker. As well as Peter Davison. As well as...

Oh, hell. I just want them all. The sooner the better.

Oh, to have really good copies of "The Daleks", "The Keys of Marinus", "The Aztecs", "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", and many many more, that would be absolutely grand.

It's always nice to have a season box set, but for a series like Doctor Who, it would be tough to do properly.

Now if we can only invent a time machine and somehow go back and save the missing episodes from being purged...

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I will buy any of the Doctor Who DVD's because I loved the series. I've already got the 3 R1's so far, plus Anchor Bays Doctor Who set. I am looking forward to more of them.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What's the story with the Anchor Bay Peter Cushing Doctor Who DVDS? Where do these fit in to the regular Dr. Seires? They are not part of the "real" series right? Are they spin-offs, or side stories or something? I'm confused, please enlighten me!

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I've been a huge Dr. Who fan since I was a kid.

I will buy every Who released. I have all the R1s now.

Bring em on. Before it's over, I'll have Star Trek:TOS, Star Trek:TNG, Farscape, and any other Star Trek they see fit to release.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
After resisting the urge initially to get any of the R1's (had nightmares about collecting the potentially huge number of discs that would eventually get released), I caved. Bring 'em on. I'll get them all probably. Love the Pertwee and Baker eras myself.

N

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
An Eighties comic strip gave the Sixth Doctor a talking penguin for a companion. A comedy charity special aired in 1999 featured Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean), Hugh Grant (Notting Hill), Jim Broadbent (Moulin Rouge), Richard E Grant (Withnail And I) and even Joanna Lumley (Absolutely Fabulous) as future Doctors!
I think that it's hit upon the key answer. While faithful to the entire Doctor Who concept in just about all other ways, the movies, as I recall (I own but haven't watched the DVD's yet, and it's been 15+ years since I last saw them) referring to Cushing's character as human, when any good fan of the show knows the good Doctor is not. Though he does blend in...
Simple mistake in preparing the script(s)? Parallel universe version? Spin off? YOU DECIDE!
For all of you posting lists of wanted episodes on DVD: Don't forget that you get to vote on it! Visit Link Removed, if you haven't already!
Don't forget to check out the Doctor Who home video release schedule at the official site!
For all of you interested in the restoration work being done on the old shows, visit the Restoration Team site!

Julie K

Screenwriter
referring to Cushing's character as human, when any good fan of the show knows the good Doctor is not. Though he does blend in...

It just really spoiled the whole movie for me.

But then, I recently grabbed the Cushing movies so I'll probably cave on the McGann one too. Although it's far easier to take in the Cushing movies than in the McGann one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Julie:
Reeeeally? Huh. I gave the movie a skip when it aired; I had little-to-no confidence in it. As the retail store manager I was at the time, I scheduled myself to work that night. ;)
Hence, I never knew that. What a total f*-up. :angry: :thumbsdown:
I might pick up that one on DVD if the rights thing ever gets worked out. Strangely enough, your info makes me even MORE curious about how badly they screwed it up. This shoulda stayed in the complete hands of the folks at the BEEB from the word go.
Saying that about the Doctor? Half-assed revisionist crap, if you ask me. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks