1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who: Tom Baker Complete First Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by dana martin, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

That's the difference between buying and not buying for me. The 50i -> 60i conversion artifacts I can live with. The slowdown I can't.

Assuming that's the case, this will almost certainly be the best these episodes have looked since their original broadcasts, whatever state they're in.

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I guess good news is that folks will have the option of 50i UK or 60i US with pretty much the same other materials.
    Assuming it's Region Free like most BBC and Doctor Who sets, then it depends on your equipment capability.

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Don't assume the UK set will be necessarily be Region Free, though. Some BBC blu-rays (particularly the 50i ones) have been Region B locked in recent years. Series 2-4 of Sherlock immediately spring to mind. I don't remember what the Series 9 set for the New Doctor Who was as I haven't put it in my player yet. Anybody else know?

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Not all BBC are Region Free, but the large majority have been. If you're aren't region free, I'd certainly wait for someone to check before considering it.
    S9 is the only Doctor Who set that was locked. All the Original Series, New Who S1-8 are definitely Region Free and S10 has been reported as Region Free by one poster who said it played on his US PS4. I never found a good reason why S9 broke prior precedence.
    Tom Baker set being released pretty much simultaneously in boht countries assuming you believe the latest release dates would seem to be a good reason to be Region Free

Sherlock is a weird release on several areas
    All the reports of UK regular S2 and S3 of Sherlock say it's REgion Free (still 50i). The Special Edition release of S3 is B/C locked
    Abominable Bride is B Locked. I can't find a confirmation on S4 but I';m pretty sure it;s REgion Free

The LE boxset with busts I can't find confirmation one way or the other

5. AndyMcKinney

You're right, I'd forgotten it was only the LE of S3 and Abominable that were locked, rather than S2 and S3 (I only bought the LE of S3).

I haven't purchased the UK S4 yet (waiting for a price drop), so don't know whether it's locked or not.

Given the people who import UK titles and then complain about not being able to play the 50i discs on their equipment, I'm surprised that the BBC don't lock any/all releases that are 50i.

6. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
  7. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Actually, these releases are not related he same as the ’Years’ videotapes.

Those were overviews of each doctor’s era with clips (and for the Hartnell/Troughton tapes, full ‘orphan’ episodes). These were hosted by the Doctor or a main companion.

These new DVDs are collections of interviews with cast and crew who worked on those eras (originally made by Reeltime).

The Double-VHS Tom Baker Years will be an extra on the new Blu set - first time releases on disc

8. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    Well, color me embarrassed. :oops: I just thought they added some new interviews to the existing programs. Thanks for the clarification. I really liked hearing Jon Petrwee discuss his episodes on the VHS presentation. I was looking forward to having that on DVD.
    [​IMG]

9. Message #49 of 85 Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    So will the UK edition be region free or region-locked? If the former, great news for those of us US customers who fancy the digibook. Initially it was understood to be region-free, but then I hear otherwise, and this has gone back + forth several times. I understand also that, even if it is indeed region-free it does not mean the bonus features (incl. the optional CGI FX) will work on Region A players. It seems most of the UK Blurays of the modern series as well as "Spearhead From Space" have the extras region B-locked. That, or simply a incompatible frame rate? (I'll grant you I'm no expert in the deeper technical stuff).

10. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    The latest News is that the UK version is NOT Region Locked. And the extras are also viewable in The US. It is the same compatibility as the Shada Blu-Ray release.

BUT, Sony brand players may not be able to handle the 50i menus and might freeze up.

So if you have a non-Sony player you should be able to view it in the US.

Ethan Riley likes this.
  11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I don't guess we'll know for sure until someone test them, but like David said every report from the folks who worked on them say it will be region free.

As far as I'm aware you can't partially region lock a disc or only lock certain portions. If you had problems with the extras on prior UK disc it was either b.c they were SD PAL or 1080i/50 encodes. Every report coming from the UK says the episodes on the UK set will be 1080i/50 so if your equipment can't play the extras they shouldn't be able to play the episodes either.

12. Tom St Jones

Thomas
    I (briefly) owned the UK Blu of the 50th anniv special "Day of the Doctor". The main feature (2D versn, as I currently lack 3D capability) played through perfectly, however NONE of the bonus features would play.

13. Message #53 of 85 Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

This disc or one of the discs in the boxset? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor-Who-The-Day-of-the-Doctor-3D-Blu-ray/84528/

A really odd situation on a couple fronts as much as I can understand having to do with the way the 2D and 3D were produced and then transferred onto the disc

The UK Day of the Doctor 2D/3D hybrid disc was not actually 1080i/50. It was on the disc as 1080p/24 despite the case saying 1080i. They would have been better off to do a 2 disc release like normal with the 2D at 50i and 3D 24p, but the single disc had to be a one frequency the way those hybrid discs are put together. I also think it's technically impossible to do the Bluray3D at 1080i/50. There was lots of complaining when that disc came out in the UK that it the Video slowed down and it messed up the audio even though it was pitched corrected. Even worse when the 50th Anniversary boxset originally had a 2D only disc, but still at 24p -- BBC/E0ne eventually released a replacement disc encoded 1080/50i.

14. AndyMcKinney

Not quite true. There are plenty of US BD players that cannot handle 50i, not just Sonys. A person should be 100% sure about their setup before importing this set.

A good place to start is here. Basically, if you have a TV that can handle the 50hz framerate (1080i/50 and PAL/50), then all you need is a player that can either "pass through" the native frame rate (which is more ideal) or you can also use one that converts that signal to 60hz (US standard).

If your TV cannot handle 50hz, then you will absolutely need a player that converts 50hz to 60hz.

So, in summary:
    1. Only some US TVs can handle 50hz framerates. Most do not, and unless they're marketed as multi-system, there is no way to know without trying one out (or from reviews from people who own them)
    2. Some US BD players pass-through 50hz, some convert to 60, so let you do both, and some do neither.

There's no guarantees about any of this unless you've tested the equipment yourself. If you own an Oppo player, you're definitely covered, though, as those are among the players that will both pass-through or convert (it's an option you can toggle in the setup menu).

15. AndyMcKinney

Also of note is the Australian release of the 50th Anniversary boxset. The copies of that release currently on sale (which wasn't limited edition and is still available) now carry the corrected 50i disc. I know this because I purchased it recently and even got Roadshow to send me the corrected disc-exchange disc (since I assumed it was still faulty, as they're still doing the exchanges). When I compared the two discs, they were exactly the same.

16. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I did buy that same boxset for $50 about a year ago (I think it was $30-35 or less recently during a BOGOF sale) after realizing the UK was OOP and going for $300+. I got it mostly for the "Five(ish) Doctors" which I found hysterical, but was pleased to have the corrected 50i Day of the Doctor as well even though the 2D/3D disc never bothered me that much honestly.

Though I was expecting it, I got the repackaged set with the thin outer box and not the somewhat fancier original set with the acetate window and slightly different slipbox style (the cases slip into the side instead of top). Someone of the other forum recently complained to JBHIFI when they ordered what they thought was the original package shown in the Thumnail on the website and was told that JB actually found a couple copies of the original and was going to exchange it for them -- shocked me to hear any of the original package existed and that JB was going to reship it to the US.

For anyone interested
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-sci-fi/doctor-who-the-50th-anniversary-collectors-edition/616931/

17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Appears people are getting "Delayed until July 2" e-mail notices from Zavvi and AmazonUK on the UK Tom Baker set now.
    No indication of why the delay, but another 2 weeks

18. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The US version is still saying 6/19 on Amazon.

19. Tom St Jones

Thomas
  20. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I don't think they ever did a replacement for that disc so the 2D and 3D encodes were normal 1080p24.

There was the thought for the 2D only disc from the boxsets that maybe they just wanted to do one disc for the US and UK. except they had to re-encode the extras for the US disc anyway so it was kind of a triple screwup by not doing a 1080p24 3D disc and then a US 2D disc either 1080i/60 or 1080p24 with US safe extras and then a 2D 1080i50 for the UK that they could have used for the single release and Anniversary boxsets. Then they had to replace the boxset disc anyway and still refused to send corrected 2D disc to those UK customers who complained about the 2D encode on the standalone. BBC.E-One is still hearing about that from UK customers.

Honestly even that was still far from the biggest screwup

Doctor Who the Movie (1996) hold that honor. As I understand the sequence of events this was a US/Canadian TV movie which was produced at 1080p24 on 35mm stock in hopes that it would lead to enough buzz to lead into a New Doctor Who TV series with some North American TV contract and money.
    When it aired in the UK of course they converted it to normal PAL 576/50i to show on UK TV.
    When they produced the DVD years ago they used the PAL Master with the 4% speedup not only for the UK R2 DVD, but eventually also for the US R1 DVD with the PAL speedup despite it actually having a correct US master that could have been used.

A couple years ago they did a Bluray in Europe so the easiest and most sensible thing to do would be to go back the 24p master and put in on disc at the correct speed for the first time , but instead they went back and did an upscaled 1080i/50 based on the PAL master so it still has never been seen at the correct speed in Europe and nowhere since those first US/Canadian TV broadcasts.

Tom St Jones and Blimpoy06 like this.