What's new

Doctor Who: The Collection Season 8 Announced (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Any word on the special features for the U.S. version?
The special features for Jon Pertwee Season 2 should be exactly the same as on the UK Season 8 version.

The only difference should be the packaging (deluxe Digibook vs standard Blu-Ray case), the title (S8 vs JPS2), and the US does not get a booklet.

Also, its released several months later.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just a reminder that Season 8 is not going be smooth sailing on Blu-ray due to its archival nature. It was the last season to have its master tapes mostly wiped and what exists is a hodgepodge of kiniscopes, poor quality NTSC copies (many of which are off-air recordings from PBS affiliates), and a small fraction of PAL quads. Basically don't expect much.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just a reminder that Season 8 is not going be smooth sailing on Blu-ray due to its archival nature. It was the last season to have its master tapes mostly wiped and what exists is a hodgepodge of kiniscopes, poor quality NTSC copies (many of which are off-air recordings from PBS affiliates), and a small fraction of PAL quads. Basically don't expect much.
I'm still VERY much looking forward to it, and I love these Blu-Ray releases for collecting entire seasons of stories together in one affordable package, looking about as good as they possible can, considering (as you rightly point out) the problematic elements involved. The list of extras looks fab as usual:

Starring Jon Pertwee as The Doctor with Jo Grant (Katy Manning) alongside as his companion.

Battling Autons, Axons, an alien mind parasite and a mighty Daemon, the Doctor, Jo and UNIT must defend the Earth – and its future pioneers - in five action-packed adventures.

Featuring:
• Terror Of The Autons
• The Mind Of Evil
• The Claws Of Axos
• Colony In Space
• The Daemons

With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources available, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features including:

Extended Episode 1 of Claws of Axos
90 minute omnibus edition of The Daemons (specially edited for the repeat screening at Christmas 1971 and not seen since).

Behind the Sofa
New episodes with Katy Manning and Stewart Bevan, plus companions Janet Fielding and Sarah Sutton and from the Jodie-Whittaker-era Sacha Dhawan and Anjli Mohindra.

In Conversation
Matthew Sweet chats to companion Katy Manning.

A Devils Weekend
Actors Katy Manning and John Levene take a very personal trip back to the picturesque village of Aldbourne, 50 years after they recorded the Doctor Who story The Daemons there.

The Direct Route
Doctor Who directors Michael Briant, Graeme Harper and Tim Combe take an epic road trip to all the filming locations from Season 8 as they discuss directing the show in the early 1970s.

Terrance and Me
Lifelong Doctor Who fan, Frank Skinner sets out to meet the family, friends and colleagues of the late, much-loved writer, Terrance Dicks.

In addition to…
• Immersive 5.1 surround sound on Terror of the Autons and The Daemons
• Optional updated special effects and CSO clean-up on Terror of the Autons
• Blu-Ray trailer
• A specially shot mini-episode
• Unseen studio footage
• Rare archive treats
• Convention footage
• HD photo galleries
• Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from our PDF archive

The special Collector's Edition comes out next week in the U.K., but still no sign of a pre-order page for the standard case U.S. version. Hopefully the U.S. version will show up sometime in May or June...

Really looking forward to this one, as the Jon Pertwee era is one of my favorites. A really fun trailer for the season (and Blu-Ray set) was recently released:

Last edited:

Christopher McG

Stunt Coordinator
The special Collector's Edition comes out next week in the U.K., but still no sign of a pre-order page for the standard case U.S. version. Hopefully the U.S. version will show up sometime in May or June...

Really looking forward to this one, as the Jon Pertwee era is one of my favorites. A really fun trailer for the season (and Blu-Ray set) was recently released:

From one Pertwee fan to another:

Christopher McG

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what features are being ported over from the DVD releases? Just curious if I can safely trade them off at my local used media store.

Thanks everyone for the posts!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Does anyone know what features are being ported over from the DVD releases? Just curious if I can safely trade them off at my local used media store.

Thanks everyone for the posts!
Supposedly, almost all the DVD features will be ported over eventually. However, some may be moved to a more relevant release. For example, if a feature was about something in season 15, but was on a season 8 title, it will be on the season 15 collection.

I am not sure with Season 8 if all the DVD S8 features were ported over for this collection (and some held for other collections).

The only features that will not likely be on a Collection is if there is something problematic (current celebrity scandal). Although it has been discussed that edited versions might surface.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Are there any plans to release any of the Troughton series on blu ray? A store near me has a few used dvds but I don’t want to buy them if they’re going to be included as part of a larger package soon.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'd say there's a good chance that they will come out eventually, but it will be likely a long wait. I'd say get those DVDs if they aren't too expensive...that is, if you really want to see the Troughton stories in question. Season 6 is by far the most complete, so would most likely be the first Troughton set released. Who knows when we'd see it, though...I'm guessing they'll release all, or almost all, of the post-1970 seasons first, but it's all guesswork at this stage.

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I'd say there's a good chance that they will come out eventually, but it will be likely a long wait. I'd say get those DVDs if there aren't too expensive...that is, if you really want to see the Troughton stories in question. Season 6 is by far the most complete, so would most likely be the first Troughton set released. Who knows when we'd see it, though...I'm guessing they'll release all, or almost all, of the post-1970 seasons first, but it's all guesswork at this stage.
Thanks Jeff, if they’re still there I’ll probably pick them up. Web Of Fear which I’ve not seen, and Enemy Of The World which is great.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Agreed -- I'd say there are probably plans, but given they're only about 10 Bluray seasons into the 26 and randomly releasing 3 or 4 sets per year, it could be awhile esp for the first 6 seasons/2 Doctors. My S24 should be here in a couple days with a little luck

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There are a lot of strikes going against seeing the black and white years in complete sets.

A: they're upwards of 40+ episodes a piece.

B: With the exception of season 2, each B&W season has at least 7 episodes missing from the archives.

C: All the Hartnell and Troughton shows only exist (when they do exist mind you) on kiniscopes that range from master tape quality to downright awful.

D: The BBC didn't start making Doctor Who in PAL until midway through Troughton's second (and first full) year. The entirety of Hartnell's run was made in the vastly inferior (even to NTSC!) EMI Marconi system and already upscales poorly.

It might happen but don't hold your breath.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Are there any plans to release any of the Troughton series on blu ray? A store near me has a few used dvds but I don’t want to buy them if they’re going to be included as part of a larger package soon.
I would guess that we won't see complete seasons of the first six seasons until the BBC has completed the animated recreations of all of the missing episodes. The good news is that (with the exception of the first few?) these are being completed in HD and so should take advantage of the Blu-ray more than the live action elements sourced from kinescopes or even PAL tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks