What's new

Doctor Who: Series 1-7 Limited Edition Blu-ray Giftset Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Very good price on Series 1 from Italy 11.90EUR, but I don't think 2/3/4 have been released in Italy yet.
It'd be about $24shipped for just the single however. Italy is great to order from if you have multiple sets since
ea added item is only $1 extra and express shipping is a flat $2-3 extra, but the first item is $11-12 to ship

Subtitles are in Italian only if that is important to you per reviews of the set.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Here's what I can find. The new individual UK Season sets are pitch corrected 1080/24p conversions and region free.

I have read confusing reports of whether the extras on these sets are PAL encoded {EDIT -- read below but almost 100% these are PAL) . I think they are NTSC and these discs are pretty much the same as the discs that were released in the US Complete 1-7 Giftset.

If you are interested bbcshop.com (UK site) has the sets for £11.90 ea and a promo code 10off30 will take another 10% off. It will cost £13.5+ shipping but
that still is a little over $85 for all 4 sets depending on if you have a For. Currency Free CC.
My pending charge is $86.70 using a Capital One credit card which doesn't charge transaction fees on foreign transactions. That is close to the price the DVDs are selling at Costco now if you include tax. Some stores have them marked at $19 a season others at $20. I am guessing they are $19 a season and some stores haven't updated the stickers.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
IMO, I wouldn't buy use the US DVD's (even if I didn't already own them) for anywhere near the same price -- worst of both worlds

The choice between UK DVD vs Bluray BDs is a bit harder, but the more I read on the UK sites I think I'd choose the BD's despite
the slowdown. General onsensus seems to be that the video is overall better (outside of some judder during the credits) despite the slowdown, better audio, same extras.
I am relatively sensitive to Pal pitch changes, but on other pitch corrected transfers I have been very comfortable. I don't know these episodes
intimately like some do so I'd probably not be able to detect an issue at all on music tempos, etc.

I've never seen enough difference on an upscaling DVD player vs letting my TV do the upscaling to consider that much
more than a marketing gimmick or even a placebo. Professional interpolators/upscaling starting from the 576i source material and other cleanups
that were done seem to have a decent enough advantage for me to upgrade to BD.

Garysb said:
Subtitles are in Italian only if that is important to you per reviews of the set.
Interesting though I'm a bit skeptical why it wouldn't be the same as the AU and UK releases, Since it's only a single
series and I don't see any future releases pending I don't think I'd be super interested in a one-off. $20 per set through BBC
just makes it too easy (or wait/see on a US release so even the extras are US compatible)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks