What's new

Doctor Who Season 4 (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm very glad to hear the news about Moffat.

"The Doctor's Daughter", which just aired here in the 'States, was very moving at times. The question of what makes a Time Lord vs. what makes a soldier was very well done.

I'll miss Martha, not just because I enjoyed her run as a companion, but also because I really like her theme music. :)

I didn't spot a Rose Sighting in this episode. Did anyone else?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I didnt notice Rose. I love the music from this show. The music they play when they talk about Galifrey, and the war is a favorite. I heard a tad bit of it in this episode.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I didn't spot a Rose mention either. I hope we see the Doctors daughter again. I liked her. As for Donna, I just can't warm up to Catharine Tate as a companion like I did with Rose or Martha.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
Whilst running the risk of turning this into a "What companion is best" digression, I have absolutely LOVED Donna in this series so far. Quite frankly, with the foreshadowing from "Fires of Pompeii" and "Silence in the Library," coupled with Catherine Tate's public declaration that she is doing one series and ONE series ONLY, I will be quite sad to see Donna ride off into the sunset. She has been great for the Doctor.

It is also refreshing to have an older companion that doesn't have puppy dog eyes for the Doctor. I really loved Martha, but there is only so much "the Doctor just doesn't see me" I can take. She has really grown in my estimation from "Last of the Time-Lords" - Torchwood - Series 4.

Rose, on the other hand, is the only thing that I am really not looking forward to. I really like NuWHo. I really like classic Who (thanks Netflix!). The Doctor ROCKS. Rose, for me, not so much. I was quite content when she was stuck in the alternate timeline. Her story concluded. No more needed to be said. Then the Doctor just couldn't shut up about her. The fans online just couldn't shut up about her and move on to the new companion. I know Elisabeth Sladden, and Ms. Piper (while doing quite well on Masterpiece Theater) is no Elisabeth Sladden.

So, to recap, my favorite female companions in NuWho in order of favorite to least is Donna, Martha, and Rose.

I do have faith in the production team to pull off a great story. Every series of NuWho has had an excellent run at the end of the season and even the return of Rose can't ruin that!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I love Donna. I couldn't stand her in "The Runaway Bride" but she's great in this season. I love how she doesn't take any crap from the Doctor.

I also loved Rose and Martha, all for different reasons.

I only noticed Rose in the first ep of this season. Has she been in more?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I don't dislike Donna. She's been great in the show. Just something lacking about her personality. Can't put my finger on it. As for companions attraction to the Doctor, I see it but totally dismiss (ignore) it as a whole not letting it affect my involvement in the stories.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hehe, not quite. I think it's because she has too coarse of a personality or something, always gripping. Doesn't enjoy anything.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator

In "Fires of Pompeii" Donna quite enjoyed the Doctor's squirt gun! Otherwise, I know there have been other examples, I just can't remember them. She is certainly more worldly than Martha and Rose and therefore not so in awe of every thing. Pragmatic one could say.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
While I haven't seen part two yet, I thought Silence in the Library was absolutely brilliant, written by Moffat. Well on par with Blink and almost there with Girl in the Fireplace.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thats the kind of stuff im talking about. He does great work! Cant wait to see what he brings to the table in future Who stories.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Eh, those two eps are number three and four for me behind "Blink" and "The Girl In The Fireplace."

Moffat writes a couple of really good eps a year. I just hope he's up to being a show-runner.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Alright. I take back what I said about the Catharine Tate as a companion. I re-watched "The Doctor's Daughter" again and like her much better in it and all previous episode. Liked her in "The Unicorn and the Wasp" also. Was nice seeing "Felicity Kendal" in something again. Always loved watching her in "The Good Life (aka.. Good Neighbors)".

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I think we've been cheated out of our "Doctor Who Lite" episode this time around. (open spoiler tag only if you're watching the UK broadcast)
Last episode, the Doctor was without his companion who preferred taking it easy by the resort's pool. Next week, it appears as if the Doctor will be incapacitated for most of the episode. So both main characters have managed to stay out of most of one episode this series, ruling out the need for a "Lite" episode. After last serie's incredible "Blink", I feel a bit cheated.

On a side note, did anyone notice that Donna's phone was nothing more than an ordinary headset with the cord removed? Talk about cheap! :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Holy smokes - Midnight was a great episode. While I wouldnt want to have something like this every week, I thought having the Doctor completely out of control of the situation was fantastic. Very powerful episode.

Also, for your enjoyment, some SPOILER PICS from the end of the season. Seriously, if you dont want a bomb dropped, stay clear.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
We're going to be out of town and I am goign to set my eqpt to record Dr. Who on 6/27. Will be home on 6/29. However, if it does not record for some reason, dors Sci-Fi show encores of the episodes during the week after it first airs?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
IMHO Midnight was too heavy-handed and overacted, and also insubstantial (it felt over-long by ~25 mins). I thought it was awful.

*However* I was very glad to see the return of the non-superhero Doctor, and maybe the episode was one big set up for a shift in his attitudes towards humans...? Also excellent to see David Troughton again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks