What's new

Doctor Who Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I finally had a chance to watch the whole Confidential for this episode. It seems like they pretty much shot the whole budget for the season on this one show :) . I guess I will have to rewatch FoP to catch all of the injokes - apparently they loaded it with gags.

Having visited Pompeii myself in the early 90s, it was cool to see the tour David Tennant took through the original ruins.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Are all the SciFi reruns of the show clipped for time? I remember when I first saw "Voyage of the Damned" at least two scenes missing from last night. 1)The Doctor claims he was present at Christ's birth, and 2)Astrid saying "OK" to the Doctor's "You should see me in the morning."

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Didn't see the Sci-Fi version, but recorded it. May have to compare. Just rewatched VotD from last year's BBC airing with my sister-in-law.

Also watched the new ep "Planet of the Ood." Good story, with more on where the Ood came from, why they are "subserviant", with more drama than action and humor (although there is plenty of both.)

Catherine Tate, when she isn't screeching, is a very good actor.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
another solid episode.
I really enjoyed Planet of Ood

I didn't mind the more dramatic feel of the episode.

I also liked the moment when Donna's dream was slightly shattered when the space traveling isn't as glorious as she thought it was going to be and wanted to go home.

I'm also starting on the old Doctor Who radio dramas which I'm really enjoying.
Currently listening to Stones of Venice

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
For starters:Tim McInnerny for the win! Of course I havent seen him in anything since Black Adder, but holy smokes he's old!

"Percy, you wouldn't know what a brain looked like even if you coughed one up into your hands!"

I like how Donna is shaping up as a companion, someone to constantly challenge the Doctor.

And its good to see that the Simpsons is still popular even in the Second Great and Bountiful Human Empire!

Not as good as the Fires of Pompeii, but still some good stuff!

(Oh, and huzzah for the Sensorites namecheck!)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Oh, the US market BUTCHERS the show. During the end of Last of the Time Lords, they cut out most of the coda with Martha calling up folks she met when she walked the Earth, and jumped right to her in the TARDIS. Utterly shameful!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I liked Planet Of Ood too. Donna is shaping up to be a very good Companion.

Next week Martha
is back.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

Yes, I like the fact that she is realizing that hanging with the Doctor is not like going on holiday around the Med. She should have realized it when he wiped out those spider babies in Runaway Bride. In FoP, she had to agonize with him about the fate of the Pompeii victims, then helped clarify his suspicions about the Oods. Part of it, I guess, is the fact that the character is more mature and practical. I like it.

The first episode with the cute, blobby alien babies set us up....

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, I believe the production team cut LOTTL themselves. They made the show knowing the extended episode would have to be cut for international screenings - in fact, I think RTD in the podcast comnmentary actually made comments that "this scene will be cut" (the Scissor Sisters dance scene, for one example). I know that here in NZ we got the cut version.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
* IDIOT WARNING, IDIOT WARNING *

Sorry for the intrusion, but I've been curious about something for awhile. Wasn't the U.S. originally a year behind? I seem to recall that series 1 and 2, at least were shown a year after they premiered in the U.K. How did we catch up, and had we, by series 3 (with the very attractive, I might say, Martha Jones)?

Again, sorry for the disruption, but this has been bugging me.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The reason we were so behind is that it took over a year for the BBC to find a US broadcaster. Series 2 was shown here a few months after its UK transmission. Last year, Series 3 started on Sci-Fi just after it had concluded in the UK, so it's no surprise that we're all caught up now.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Alright, can somebody enlighten me as to if:Rose's (Billy Piper) cameo at the end of episode Partners in Crime

has any significants.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Daryl,

YEP! just wait. the answer will be coming very soon :)
The even hinted to it in the episode Fires of Pompeii

The Sontaran Stratagem - Part 1

I really wasn't feeling this episode. But it's nice to see Martha Jones
I liked Martha's
evil version

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So far I am pretty impressed with series 4. Donna has made a great foil for the Doctor.
Good to see Martha back and even an appearance by Rose

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Awesome. I loved Rose (Billie Piper) as a companion (BTW Billie Piper will be in her own show "Diary of a Call Girl" coming this June on Showtime). I was weary of Cathrine Tate as his new companion (didn't care for her character in "Runaway Bride") but she wasn't too bad this past episode.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Diary of a Call Girl with Billy Piper.
Looks like I'll have to add another show to my TV list :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
During the final bit, was anyone else shouting: 'Break the window, break the window' at the screen? Instantly I was thinking that while the Sonic Screwdriver couldnt get past the deadlock, it should work just fine on the window (like what he did to the window in Torchwood One back in Army of Ghosts).

Great episode - I loved all the little non-canon bits that were cannonized (the planet was named Sontar in one of the Target novels), and I loved how UNIT still uses the codename Trap 1 for the radio. And the Sontaran ships were still round one-man spheres.

Oh - and I though the whole "I worked with them in the 70's - or was it the 80's" was a nice nod to continuity problems

And Donna was great. She's smart enough to keep up with the Doctor, and she got to fly the TARDIS. What other companion (well, aside from Romana) got to do that? And Tegan doesnt count since it was the Master's pre-programing at work instead.

Great episode! Cant wait for next week.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Me! Why isn't a brick or stone around when you need it?

I loved seeing UNIT again. And I'm with Captain Jack - I want one of those red berets.

It was also good to see the Sontarans again.

Evil Martha is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks