Doctor Who; newest releases listed for fall!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Howard Glenn, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Howard Glenn

Howard Glenn Stunt Coordinator

The BBC America shop has posted two titles for fall release;

The eight season episode, The Claws of Axos and the seventeenth season story, City of Death.

Official release date, and cover art should not be far behind.

Still holding my breath for a new season annoucement...even though it will be long in coming...[​IMG]

Howie

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Who were the doctors in those seasons?

3. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Jon Pertwee/Katy Manning are in Claws of Axos and Tom Baker/Lalla Ward are in City of Death, a Douglas Adams story. Two great ones.

I hope "The Beginning" set is next.

4. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

BBC Worldwide Americas has been rushing out the Tom Baker stories in Region 1, but this is crazy fast. "City of Death" will be showing up here at almost the same time as the Region 2 release. Heck, BBC Video still has not formally announced the Region 2 release! That is great news for me as I adore that story. It is too bad that neither Tom Baker or Lalla Ward were able to contribute to the extras on that release (though they nearly got Tom to tour through the filming sites in Paris).

Of course, this means that the new series will not be released on DVD in Region 1 this year. It also appears that the possibility of a Feb. 2006 release is probably not in the cards as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html
    http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/ind...opic=6975&st=0

5. Howard Glenn

The Tom Baker stories have been the best sellers for the BBC here in America. In addition, there are over 40 Tom Baker stories to work with, versus 24 Jon Pertwee stories, 20 Peter Davison stories, 18 William Hartnell, 12 Sylvester McCoy, 11 Colin Baker (4 of which will be issued as one release for The Trial of a Time Lord), and 8 Patrick Troughton stories.

As of right now, the next releases for the first quarter of 2006 will either be In the Beginning Box set, or Revalation of the Daleks and The Web Planet.

This is all a far cry from the huge lag time that took place for the vhs releases. [​IMG]

Howie

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Why would these archive releases of old shows have any bearing on the current hit series release? Is it just the news of the announcement leading you to that conclusion, or is it that they just can't juggle more than one or two titles per year?

7. Michael Sliger

Because people with contacts inside BBC Worldwide Americas have stated that the titles for the November release slot were being held back for a while in hopes that a US broadcaster of the series would be signed quickly. That would have possibly given them a chance to sell a boxset of all 13 episodes of the 2005 series in that release slot. BBCWA is presumably limited to times and numbers of releases since they have contracted Warner to do distribution work. With this announcement, it can be inferred that no broadcast is expected here for a while. There were talks that the new series DVDs would be sold here in Feburary no matter what, but that isn't looking likely either.

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html
    (Steven has been doing these reports for 5-7 years and AFAIK has always been accurate).

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thanks for the info! The BBC blows!

9. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Given that the series has been broadcast on a National network in Canada (CBC), which is R1, and any American who really wanted to watch it did, it all seems a bit silly. The market for the DVD have seen the show.

That said, much as I enjoy the new show, I'd rather have the old stuff on DVD first and hate the idea of one replacing the other.

10. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    How could I see it in Louisiana? There is a market here longing for it but I don't have an antenna big enough to pick up the CBC. Once in a while in the mid 80's I would get staticy Memphis stations, not viewable but there. I have never been able to get a Canadian signal.

Now I want the new series and will import the complete season 1 box when it comes out in the UK but it is a shame we do not get it over here yet; it will be my first Who import aside from the TV movie. I like to wait for US release but this is too much, dumb US networks not airing a series that is popular the world over and in the same language most of US speak, a built in audience but with the awe of the new, it is just sad and disheartening.

Great releases planned, I think my favorite Lalla Ward appearance.

11. Carlo S

Carlo S Stunt Coordinator

Well I will be importing the UK set. I actually have mine on preorder [​IMG]

THose current bare bones releases are a waste

The box set from what I understand will have 5.1 audio [​IMG]

12. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Are there any dvds with Nessa? She was Tom Baker's side kick for a while. I remember watching her as a kid and had a crush on her. I'd like to pick up any dvds that have her in them.

13. Howard Glenn

Hi Bob,

Nyssa, played by Sarah Sutton, became one of the Doctor's companions during the next to last episode of season eighteen entitled The Keeper of Traken. That year's season finale, Logopolis, was also Tom Baker's last episode (with the exception of several clips of him used during The Five Doctors, at the end of season twenty).

Nyssa continued as the Doctor's companion during all of Peter Davison's first season (season nineteen), and through the first half of season twenty, departing during the end of the episode Terminus.

Currently there are two season nineteen episodes with Nyssa on DVD; The Visitation, and Earthshock, a Cybermen story.

Howie

14. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info, Howie!

15. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Although technically she was also in Caves of Androzoni - very briefly - during the end.

. . . . but that probably doesnt count.

Also, I'm disappointed that we're getting City and Claws - I was hoping for a simultaneous release of The Beginning boxed set like they did for last years Lost in Time sets.

Still, no skin off my nose - I'll just be getting it from the UK like my other discs.

16. Clay_E

Clay_E Stunt Coordinator

Tony,

You might want to wait on the "Beginning" box set for a R1 release - the VidFIRE process, which is used by the Restoration Team on the old black and white episodes to restore the original video look the episodes had when they first aired, is undone by converting the episodes from NTSC to PAL. This doesn't apply to an official release, where they do the remastering and leave the VidFIRE intact, just if you're watching a PAL DVD on a multi-region player.

I found this out the hard way when I had to buy "The Seeds of Death" more than once - I first bought the Region 2 release, then had to buy it again when it came out in the U.S.

17. Carlo S

Carlo S Stunt Coordinator

Clay_E

Would you mind explaining that Vidfire?

ALso whats this about havign to get The Seeds of Death a second time?

Does that mean the US version was actually better??

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I need to b*tch one more time about the BBC. I'd really like to see the seasons which featured the 7th doctor - Sylvester McCoy. I've heard that he was an interesting version of the character.

I'd gladly buy a season set. But I won't buy individual stories that are picked at random/out of sequence.

Why? Because I'd have no idea what the heck the larger story arc was, or who his companion was, since I hadn't watched these episodes way back when.

I suspect there are many American Who fans who grew up watching Tom Baker play the Doctor, who are now curious about the later seasons with the other actors. But the BBC's refusal to release season sets prevents anyone from becoming acquainted with these later eras.

Now I know some will say that the small staff doing the restoration work is the reason why season sets can't be done. But give the restoration team a bigger budget, a bigger staff, and less time is required. Give them sufficient resources and seasons sets could be released every few months. They need to face the fact that the current release strategy of random stories means that it will take upwards of 100 years for the whole seasons to be released. And that isn't fair to anyone - not to fans, not to shareholders (if the BBC is a publicly owned company).

The BBC needs to rethink how they are doing this.

19. Michael Sliger

Techincal explanations of the Vidfire process:

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.campbell10/vidfire.htm
    http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...te/vidfire.htm

Simply put, it is a way to revert the film prints of the 60s episodes to something resembling the original videotape masters. A computer is used to generate the half-frames of video data lost when the film prints were made.

And as for Will's comments, beyond the Key to Time (Season 16, out as a box set), Trial of a Timelord (Season 23), and Eccleston's season (will be out as a box set next year), there really weren't any distinct seasonal arcs in Doctor Who. There are some links between stories, but for the most part, one really can jump in and out of the 27 season history and not get too lost. I for one adore how BBC Worldwide is handling things. I challenge you to find any other studio who is going to these extreme levels for video restoration work and extra features for a TV product. The Restoration Team is small, but they truly love the series that they are working on. Adding more people who aren't extreme fans will IMHO probably decrease the quality of the output. For example, I have yet to see anyone else in the industry strive to manually paint out tens of thousands of video dropouts over several days for 1.5 hours of a TV program like Steve Roberts does. Beyond a desire to see the MSRP for the releases drop a touch, I personally want everything to stay the same for the Doctor Who DVDs.

20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Surely he wouldn't want any help.