What's new

Doctor Who: "Genesis of the Daleks" and "Inferno" on their way (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Great news: BBC Worldwide today confirmed the DVD releases in the UK of Genesis of the Daleks starring Tom Baker and Inferno starring Jon Pertwee. "Genesis" is listed by the official Doctor Who website as being due out 10 April, though some retailers are suggesting 27 March, while "Inferno" is due out 29 May. No R1 dates announced, but with Genesis being one of the most popular stories EVER, I can't imagine the R1 release will be that far behind.

Restoration Team "Genesis" article

Restoration Team "Inferno" article

GENESIS EXTRAS
* The commentary for this story features actors Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen and Peter Miles, with the story's director David Maloney.

* With six episodes taking up all of disc 1, the Special Features are on a disc of their own. Initially it was planned that the 90-minute compilation version from 1975 would be included unrestored, but the documentary features ran so long that it was necessary to drop this!

* Genesis of a Classic is an affectionate 62-minute look at the making of the story. Produced by Ian Levine and edited by Adi Denney, this documentary features interviews with many of the major cast and crew members who were involved in the creation of this much-loved story. Interviewees include executive producer Barry Letts, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, outgoing script editor Terrance Dicks, director David Maloney, actors Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen, Peter Miles, Guy Siner, James Garbutt, Dennis Chinnery and the late Michael Wisher, sound-effects guru Dick Mills, Dalek voice artist Roy Skelton, Dalek operators Cy Town and John Scott Martin, lighting director Duncan Brown, visual effects designer Peter Day, and makeup artist Sylvia James.

* The Dalek Tapes is a 53-minute documentary from John Kelly, which looks at the history of the Daleks and covers all of their appearances in the 'classic series'. It includes many rare Dalek-related clips from other programmes, including Blue Peter and Vision-On and is narrated by Terry Molloy, the actor who portrayed Davros in the later stories. Interviewees include actors Anneke Wills and Terry Molloy, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, directors Richard Martin, Timothy Combe, David Maloney, Ken Grieve and Graeme Harper, writers and script editors Terrance Dicks and Eric Saward, designer Derek Dodd, Dalek operator Cy Town, film critic Kim Newman, voice artists Royce Mills, Roy Skelton and Nicholas Briggs, visual effects designer Peter Day, and fan viewers Andrew Beech and Ian McLachlan.

* From the ever-bountiful Blue Peter archive comes a seven-minute item featuring a young viewer's Doctor Who models. This item was shown during the original transmission of 'Genesis' and includes several shots of the Blue Peter team being inserted into the model sets by the magic of colour separation overlay!

* A six-minute continuities compilation includes continuity voice-over and in-vision items from some of the original and repeat transmissions of this story on the BBC.

* As always, a full photo gallery is included as well as a subtitle production text commentary. PDF versions of the 1976 Doctor Who Annual and the Radio Times billings for the original transmission are included for PC and Mac users.

INFERNO EXTRAS
* The commentary for this story features script editor Terrance Dicks, producer (and director on some of this story) Barry Letts, Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier) and John Levene (Sgt. Benton). John Levene was recorded solo-mic on episodes two and five some months earlier than the commentary for the other five episodes, to take advantage of a rare visit to the UK from his home in Hollywood.

* Can You Hear the Earth Scream? is a 35 minute documentary produced by Steve Broster, looking at the making of Inferno. It features interviews with Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, actors Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Ian Fairbairn and actor/stunt arranger Derek Ware.

* The UNIT Family - part one is a 36 minute documentary also from Steve Broster, looking at the first half of the 'UNIT family' that characterised the Third Doctor's Earth-bound stories. Featuring interviews with Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, UNIT creator Derrick Sherwin, and actors Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Caroline John and actor/stunt arranger Derek Ware, the documentary is an affectionate look at Pertwee's first season through the eyes of those people most intimately involved in creating the 'family'.

* Visual Effects Promo Film is an excerpt from an early attempt to 'sell' the experience and facilities of the BBC Visual Effects Department to new clients. This short film features model effects filming from the Doctor Who stories 'The Ambassadors of Death' and 'Inferno', a watertank sketch from 'Not Only But Also' featuring Marty Feldman, and model filming for 'Out of the Unknown' and the explosive finale of the missing 'Doomwatch' episode, 'Survival Code'.

* The Pertwee Years Intro is a short introduction to the story's final episode from Jon Pertwee, originally presented as part of BBC Video's 'The Pertwee Years' VHS release.

* The 1971 Doctor Who Annual and clippings from the Radio Times are included as PDF files for PC and Mac users.

* As always, a Photo Gallery and Subtitle Production Notes round off this release.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Yep...very exciting news.

I don't envy the Restoration Team for all the work that was required for Inferno...it's a shame how much footage is missing even from the existing stories, and the subsequent condition they're in.

Unfortunately, the earliest we'll get a chance to see either story is in September...if we're lucky!

H

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Most excellent. The stretch from The Ark in Space through Revenge of the Cybermen is my favorite in the whole series, and Genesis of the Daleks is the high point of the lot.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Genesis is a great story, and I am eagerly looking forward to picking it up.

As for Inferno, it's a story that is really loved by fans, possibly even more than Genesis, but personally I hated it, found it overlong. I just couldn't wait for it to finish, which as a 7-episode story it took a while to do. But I am looking forward to the DVD anyway, partly because I want to see whether I will see what everyone else loves that I missed first time, and partly because I have found when revisiting stories on DVD that I did not enjoy the first time around, that my opinion often improves significantly (I even found The Web Planet to be better than I remembered!) So Inferno will be interesting to see.

I don't envy the Restoration Team for all the work that was required for Inferno
Exactly. If you haven't yet read the article on the Inferno restoration linked in the first post, do so. The amount of work it takes to get these DVDs looking as good as they do i incredible.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

I have found that if you skip over episode 2, you've got a pretty sharply paced 6 part story on your hands.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Inferno is near perfect, but then I've never seen a bad Pertwee. The Daleks should have been left in the 60s where they belong and Davros kind of grates on my nerves, but the DVD looks like a good package.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Was'nt Inferno Pertwee's regeneration story? I seem to remember it as the first one. If so regeneration stories usually stick in the memory as Favorites. I Mean "Robot" was kind of a Weak story made better because it featured Pertwee's to Baker's Regenration.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
No, Spearhead in Space is the first Pertwee. It's out on DVD and is entirely shot on film.

Personally, I'm tired of all these 2-disk releases. They cost more (in R1) and I just want to watch the episodes (restored) and move on to more fiction (another DVD).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

"The War Games" and "Spearhead from Space" was the Troughton to Pertwee regeneration and "Planet of Spiders" and "Robot" was the Pertwee/Baker combo. Inferno was the end of Pertwee's first season, the last story with that companion.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
With the way the schedule looks right now I'm going to be very happy to find Inferno as a birthday present.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
You'll be waiting for a while for Ambassadors of Death. They'll probably hold back the Pertwee stories that are only available in B&W (or, in the case of Ambassadors, part colour, part B&W) for as long as realistically possible, to allow time for colour copies to (hopefully) be miraculously discovered, or else for colourisation technology to improve and get cheaper.

Some information about Ambassadors, and specifically about the availability of colour material for the story, is contained in this article about the preparation of the Ambassadors VHS by the Doctor Who Restoration Team.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

As others have said, this isn't the regeneration story, but I think I know why you remember it as being the first one...

Back in the mid '80s, when the Pertwee stories were first re-syndicated to the US (the first time they were available since the early '70s), Inferno was the first story in the syndication package. The reason Ambassadors and Silurians were left out was that they only existed in black and white. All the other stories that didn't exist fully in colour were left out of this initial syndication package. Of course, everything (or nearly everything) was offered later.

I don't really know why Spearhead was left out of this package, though, as it certainly still existed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Andy I think your right the PBS Station at first only carrie the Color Eps, later they did get some of the B&W's. They never did Carry the Pertwee Eps much, by the time they got them Dr'who Was mostly gone from PBS. I remember seeing Baker and Davison ad infinitum, but very little else.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I first saw Doctor Who on a cable station in the mid 80s. I saw all of Pertwee and the first half of Tom Baker at least twice, the Five Doctors, and nothing else.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
The PBS station in the DC area didn't start showing Pertwee episodes until the mid-90s when they picked up the entire run of the series. Prior to that they only ran Robot through Survival -- of course, even that took over two years to cycle through.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
My local PBS station runs Dr Who every Saturday. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to acquire the rights to more than "Tomb of the Cybermen" through "Planet of the Spiders". Some good episodes in there. But frankly, after a few cycles of this, one yearns for Tom Baker.

At least, they're not running Hartnell stuff. A few good episodes, interrupted by vast periods of tedium.

Has anyone had any trouble playing "Ghost Light"?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I vaguely remember "Inferno"- wasn't that the one in a parallel universe with the Brigadier in an eyepatch? I liked Caroline John as Liz Shaw, and it was a pity she left, but then we wouldn't have gotten Katy Manning as Jo the following season! So, is the DVD version of "Inferno" all-color, or are there still B/W portions to it?

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
I have the complete up-to-date run of the Dr. Who releases, and have not experienced technical problems with any of the discs.

If you're tired of your local PBS schedule, you can start enjoying the new series beginning March 17th on SciFi!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks