Doctor Who 1996 TV Movie - Really Bad Layer Change?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John H Ross, Aug 29, 2004.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Hi,

I've always had problems with the layer change on the R2 edition of the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie (starring Paul McGann). I had a Sony S7700 player.

I recently upgraded to a fully multi-region Denon DVD-2900. The denon has an 8MB buffer memory and has made almost every layer I've come across invisible. However, even THIS mighty machine stops and stutters on the Doctor Who disc.

From the sound of the spinning disc I get the impression that, at the end of the first layer, the laser moves right back to the other end of the disc to start the second layer, rather than just dropping to layer 2.

Was this a goof by BBC video? Has anybody experienced problems with this title?

John

2. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I just watched it for the first time on DVD, it definitely has major problems.

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Perhaps you should bring up the topic on the Doctor Who Restoration Team's Technical Forum. They are the people who worked on this release and might have some insights into the discs problems, as they might've been previously reported by other fans.

As this is an R2-only title, shouldn't this thread be in the "Regional DVD area", though?

4. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

I played this on a Toshiba Player back in Feb and had no problems with the layer change. I'd double check but my player died out recently and I haven't picked up a new Region Free yet.

How's that Denon working for you? Good player?

Andrew

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

6. mark27b

mark27b Stunt Coordinator

Mark Pledger
    "Finally, since we're on the subject of Doctor Who for Blu-ray Disc, let's talk 8th Doctor. Fans in the USA and Canada were excited to hear word that the U.K. will get a mid-September release on Blu-ray of Doctor Who - The Movie, the 1996 telefilm starring Paul McGann. While asking them about Series 2, we also checked in with BBC Home Entertainment to see if there were any North America plans yet for a similar Blu Movie release on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Our studio contacts told us that "The movie isn't currently on our schedule." Oh, well...maybe next year? We'll see! Stay tuned..."

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Series-2/22544

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    It was a decade long licencing nightmare just to get it out in R1 in the first place.

8. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    If its an upconversion then why bother? The PAL master is already a mid-90s conversion from the Universal NTSC tape. Two wrongs don't make a right.

9. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Like most everything else in the 90s, it was shot on film but edited on video. So odds are, it's just going to be an upconversion, especially since the Restoration team says they had nothing to do with this upcoming release.

https://twitter.com/rtnewsfeed

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Ugh. What a waste.