What's new

Doctor Who '05 - perhaps October? (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty cool packaging - I like it.

I'll wait for the box set, but for those that can't wait either for the box set or for broadcast in their own country, they're getting some nice cover art.

No mention of "season 1", or anything - do you think that'll change?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say. I wouldnt be so bold as to venture a guess - but I was bet that the cover is still not quite the finished product. Of course, it's still a stopgap measure until the real dvd set comes out - and THAT will mention season 1, I'm willing to wager.

Speaking of. . . .

So we may not see DW:C in it's current form, we very well may see it on future Neo and Classic Who discs.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Of course, each 'Doctor Who Confidential' is available for viewing on the web at the BBC site.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ladies and Gents, I give you the cover to the Doctor Who boxed set, plus a release date: 11.21.05 (and a retail price of about 55 pounds, or roughly a hundred bucks US)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
What a contrast. The boxset looks hideous. I just hope the hubs are okay, or the discs are going to be hell to get out. Overpriced too.

If only the keepcases had the extras.

"The Complete Series" LOL! :D

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Watched the first two episodes so far. Still not sure what to think about it. One thing didnt like are the tardis control room, I liked the simplistic room better from the older episodes.

Wow, $100US for the season, I dont think so...

on a flip note, I watched the 1965 movie "Dr. who and the Daleks" with Peter Cushing. Ouch, that was very hard to sit through...:)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, as a matter of perspective, the Key to Time boxed set runs anywhere from 80-100 bucks. 13 hour episodes vs 26 half hour episodes means that the new series is about the same length with a ton of extras. Also the price is about in line when compared to other UK TV show releases - 24, West Wing, and so on.

Also keep in mind thats the UK price. Who knows what it'll be domestic when it's released in R1.

(OH, BTW - I edited the other post for the new pictures posted just this morning on the BBC site)

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I think they generally pay more for Doctor Who DVDs (when you convert the currency)in the UK.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Not a fan of the TARDIS box set. Nice and cool idea in theory, but it will be horribly and unnecessarily large, and thus occupy too much space on my DVD shelf. And unless they release later seasons in similar packaging (and occupy even more space on my shelf), then the first season will be out of place against the second and subsequent seasons.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Just an observation, but as a long time Dr. Who fan I kind of object to this being called the "First Season". You'd think the BBC might remember there were a couple of seasons prior to this ....

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Which brings up a question I have about the "new" series...

Is this a continuation of the original Doctor Who (as the Fox television movie was), or is it a new "re-imagining" (like the new Battlestar Galactica) and stand on its own (not part of the continuity of previous seasons)...?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Some of what I've heard makes me think it's the second (something about the Doctor being one of the last surviving Time Lords), but I think the producers are more likely just telling good Doctor Who stories, and you can view it as a continuation or reboot as you want.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It plays as a continuation to me. There is a flip one liner that suggests a regeneration.

But then he also has a sonic screwdriver that I thought he lost, so who knows. I gave up on the doctor with the Sylvester McKoy episodes. (well the Davidson episodes I guess, it got really spotty after Tom Baker left.)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Like the other two, I think it's hard to tell. I'm leaning more towards "all new" with the changes I have seen so far (tardis control room the big one, old pictures of him, not any of the other Dr's throughout time..) but I'll guess we'll learn more as he goes and see if he talks about other generations of himself.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Christopher Eccleston is the 9th Doctor. It's a continuation, not a "re-imagining". This is Season 27.

John

Barry Hebert

Agent

Then why is the upcoming box set titled "The Complete First Series"?

I think they have intentionally left the issue open to interpretation. They don't want to be tied to 30+ years of previous continuity. Not "everyone" considers the FOX TV-movie canon, as it played very loose with continuity. So is the "new" Doctor the 9th, the 8th, or the 1st? I expect we'll see many nods to what has gone before--but also many aspects where the producers choose to "re-imagine" as they see fit.

--Barry

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I can't find the quote, but Russell T Davies has stated that Ecclestone is the same character as Hartnell, Troughton, etc, and he is the 9th version. The stories we saw in Classic Who are his past.

It is the first series because it is the first series. The old series was cancelled. Ended. This is a new series, produced by a different part of the BBC, with all new production codes. It is a new series - the old series offers the history and foundation, but this is a new being.

I mean, we don't count Star Trek: The Animated Series as season 4 of classic Star Trek, do we?

Again, we've had three major TARDIS control rooms (barring minor set reworkings): classic white, wooden, and the TV movie. The Doctor either found another alternate control room, or decided to renovate.

Barry Hebert

Agent
I do consider the show a continuation myself. But I don't think the producers intend to be slaves to prior continuity. Calling this the "first" series is an indication of this. They will ignore or change elements they wish with no "need" to explain. Anyone who thinks otherwise is apt to be disappointed.

--Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks