Doctor Sleep (2020)

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I won't be watching this in theaters most likely, but I'll be interested to hear what y'all think of it.

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I won't be watching this in theaters most likely, but I'll be interested to hear what y'all think of it.
Will do. I've got high hopes all based on Flanagan being attached to this as the writer and director.

Reactions: Tino

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
That’s pretty much the only reason I’m interested. Haunting Of Hill House is a tv masterpiece.
Have to add I'm also excited to see how Rebecca Ferguson handles Rose The Hat. Rose is a great villain and Ferguson has ably demonstrated her ability to play a strong character in the last two Mission Impossible movies. She is well cast for this role.

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Speaking of Rebecca - here's a fantastic, non-spoilery, audio interview with Mark Kermode:

Jeff Adkins

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Despite being a massive fan of the original Kubrick film, this was barely on my radar. I knew I'd probably end up seeing it, but I didn't read the Doctor Sleep novel and the trailer didn't really excite me much.

When the early screenings were announced, my friend wanted me to go and since it worked with A-List, I decided to go ahead and see it last night.

I was blown away. I know nothing of Mike Flanagan's work, but he did an amazing job with this. Performances were terrific (especially Rebecca Ferguson), the score was awesome and it was scary as hell! I hope the general public isn't expecting another 2 1/2 hours inside the Overlook, because that isn't what this is. Despite it's long running time, it flew by.

The few complaints I've heard are the usual things whenever a novel is adapted (things being changed or left-out). Since I haven't read it (yet), this wasn't a problem for me.

I can't wait to see it again next week when it opens!

5/5

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Super solid adaptation of Doctor Sleep.

Beautifully acted and directed.

Need another viewing and some time to let it percolate before I make a final call.

Definitely in my top 10 Stephen King adaptations. Possibly top 5.

Love how Mike Flanagan takes time to build characters. And he really knows how to not only direct but edit shots too for maximum effect.

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Forgot to mention the sound design and score are also masterfully constructed to create the maximum amount of mood, emotion, and tension.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Despite being a massive fan of the original Kubrick film, this was barely on my radar. I knew I'd probably end up seeing it, but I didn't read the Doctor Sleep novel and the trailer didn't really excite me much.

When the early screenings were announced, my friend wanted me to go and since it worked with A-List, I decided to go ahead and see it last night.

I was blown away. I know nothing of Mike Flanagan's work, but he did an amazing job with this. Performances were terrific (especially Rebecca Ferguson), the score was awesome and it was scary as hell! I hope the general public isn't expecting another 2 1/2 hours inside the Overlook, because that isn't what this is. Despite it's long running time, it flew by.

The few complaints I've heard are the usual things whenever a novel is adapted (things being changed or left-out). Since I haven't read it (yet), this wasn't a problem for me.

I can't wait to see it again next week when it opens!

5/5
I've read the book and saw the film yesterday. I think Flanagan went to great lengths to connect the film to the Kubrick interpretation as it's a lot more recognised than either the original book or the mini-series. A lot of the supporting characters from the book have either been cut out or given the Scatman Crothers treatment and there's a nice little reunion at the Overlook at the end for those who want to play Spot the Nostalgic References. Plenty of fan service for those who love the Kubrick film but it's at the expense of detailed characterisation from the 2013 book.

I don't dislike the film and will probably go to see it at least twice more while it's in the cinema (and will almost certainly be buying the BR) but those who expect a faithful adaptation of the 2013 book (which would be better dealt with in a mini-series) will find it lacking.

Reactions: Jeff Adkins

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The review sites I follow (reelviews.net and rogerebert.com) have been positive toward the film, and with one it sounds like my main complaint with the novel has been addressed.

Namely, an overpowered child protagonist and a thinly drawn antagonist by comparison. If Ferguson's performance is as effective as described this would seem to tip the scales enough to make the finale seem less of a foregone conclusion, and actually have some sense of conflict to the story.

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So caveats: I'm not a huge fan of the Kubrick Shining. I've also never read any of the books, the comics or seen the miniseries. This movie was not exciting me in any way before last night, but it was Ewan McGregor...so I couldn't really pass it up.

All that being said, I enjoyed Doctor Sleep. It engaged my brain for the whole movie, had enough call outs to the original even I could understand and didn't devolve into the jump scare tactic so many thrillers do these days. The movie does a lot of work in bringing the viewers up to date to Danny and how his life is going...so much so, it felt like a Kubrick movie to me for the first hour or so. It establishes the universe without trying to make the audience scared every few minutes. I appreciated that.

Any of the problems I have with the movie, story wise, I'm going to lay at the feet of the source material. Namely, Doctor Sleep feels like The Stand in which there are two separate stories happening and they have to collide at some point. So we do a lot of ping ponging around to make sure all the stories are told. It's done well and I never had a problem understanding what was happening; it's just a lot of different locations.

Rose the Hat is creepy from the first time she's on the screen. And Ferguson is amazing throughout with that pretty difficult combination of charm, sex appeal and ruthlessness. In fact, the acting here is pretty dang good throughout the entire movie.

I don't know if I'll ever see it again, but I enjoyed this experience.

Reactions: benbess

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing it tonight (Thanks, A-List!) and I have tried to keep myself from knowing too much about it going into it.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Surprise flop at the boxoffice.

Deadline:

The big shock here this weekend is how Warner Bros, which goes toe-to-toe with Universal/Blumhouse when it comes to commanding the horror space at the B.O., was completely blindsided here by a disastrous performance of its well-reviewed (73% fresh), well-received (B+ CinemaScore and 4 stars on Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak, 60% definite recommend) Stephen King sequel Doctor Sleep, a mid $50M-ish production that was expected to come in north of $25M and is way short in No. 2 with, gulp, $12.6M. Holy crap.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s long, the book it’s based on wasn’t top tier King (and was not a bona fide cultural phenomenon) and the new story just isn’t as compelling as the original. I still plan on seeing it but it’s not an urgent priority.

I feel like this is becoming my increasingly common refrain but this seems like another audience/material/venue mismatch. If this had been made as a Netflix original film or HBO miniseries, I think it would have performed as those outlets need something to perform.

But take this nearly three hour film that seems to come with no built in urgency to see it Right Now, and throw in that a studio needs to gross about $150 million to break even on a $50 million investment, and that seems like a tough battle.

I think we’re in the midst of a narrowing down period of what the box office will support and I think people will be stunned at the ferocious velocity that it all moves at. What were seen as good bets at the time of their green lighting are rapidly losing appeal at theatrical venues at a speed I don’t think anyone is prepared for and that most won’t understand.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat