1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Sleep (2020)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    [​IMG]
    Title: Doctor Sleep

Genre: Horror

Director: Mike Flanagan

Cast: Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran, Bruce Greenwood, Zahn McClarnon, Emily Alyn Lind, Jacob Tremblay, Carl Lumbly, Alex Essoe, Jocelin Donahue, Katie Parker, Robert Longstreet, Carel Struycken, Chelsea Talmadge, Selena Anduze, Juan Gaspard

Release Date:

Runtime: 0

Plot: Doctor Sleep is based on the story by the same name written by Stephen King which is a follow up to the classic ‘The Shining’. Here we once again meet the boy with the ability to shine, Danny Torrance who follows his father’s foot steps becoming an angry man with drinking problems. Then one day, he meets a girl with similar abilities as him.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Trailer came out today. Looks like they are assuming the Kubrick adaptation is part of the character history, as opposed to the miniseries or some non-existent, idealized adaptation.

I'll probably enjoy the movie only slightly more than I did the book, which means I'll get pretty annoyed by the last act. :)

Reggie W likes this.
  3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I enjoyed the book of The Shining, which I read in the Spring of 1980, finishing just days before the Kubrick/Nicholson movie came out. My friends and I had a ton of fun seeing Empire Strikes Back in downtown Philly weeks before, and thought we would do it again with The Shining, only to have the theater manager chase us away from the box office, yelling at us "I won't go to jail letting you under-age suburban kids into my theater" or something like that (we were 15 years old). We ended up seeing Empire again that day instead, and the next day my Dad took us to see The Shining at the local theater. We were all pretty disappointed, even my Dad, who was a big King fan at the time. Many years later, ABC and Warner Bros. produced a King-approved mini-series which both my Dad and I actually preferred, as it was closer to the book.

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I still prefer the Kubrick film over the miniseries, though I recognize the Kubrick veers far from the source material.

I had actually never read the Shining, but decided to do so when we were a couple months away from meeting our first child. Bad idea. :D

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

"It is an adaptation of the novel Doctor Sleep, which is Stephen King's sequel to his novel The Shining. But this also exists very much in the same cinematic universe that Kubrick established in his adaptation of The Shining," writer-director Mike Flanagan told Yahoo! "And reconciling those at times very different sources has been the most challenging and most thrilling part of this for us."

Flanagan says the production was very upfront with King about that the fact that they were approaching it as a sequel to Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining. "And the big conversation that we had to have was about whether or not we could still do a faithful adaptation of the novel as King had laid it out while inhabiting the universe that Kubrick created. And that was the conversation that we had to have with Stephen King to kick the whole thing off. And if that conversation hadn't gone the way it went, we wouldn't have done the film."

The movie features flashbacks to The Shining time period but not all of the scenes they needed in that time period were in available from Kubrick's footage. So they recast the roles they needed more scenes with. They recreated all of the sets from the Kubrick movie exactly, matched the costumes and hair as best as they could, and painstakingly recreated shots for the bits that were featured in The Shining. In the trailer, all of the flashbacks are recreations except for the blood elevator, which was lifted from the original footage.

Carl Lumbly is playing Dick Hallorann and Alex Essoe is playing Wendy Torrance. Jacob Tremblay is rumored to be playing young Danny is the flashbacks. I've heard conflicting things about Jack Torrance in the movie; some places say that it will be Jack Nicholson using exclusively footage from the original film intercut with the recreated footage for the other characters. Other places say that Henry Thomas will be playing Jack Torrance in the flashbacks.

Reggie W likes this.
  6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I thought that was a pretty good trailer. I like that the Kubrick film is part of the foundation here. Whereas Peter Hyam's 2010 was not the classic that Kubrick's 2001 was, it was still a really good film and managed to be a solid sequel. Sure, it took a different and more straightforward/conventional approach to telling its story but it worked and Hyam's commitment to the material is quite evident. I think for any filmmaker it would be a daunting task to make a film that is being presented as a "sequel" to a Kubrick work, while directly visually referencing what Kubrick created, knowing people will compare what you are doing with what he did...and that they will always say what you have done is not as good.

That trailer indicates they are doing exactly that. It will be interesting to see if, in the spirit of Kubrick, Mike Flanagan's picture takes the same loose approach to adapting the King novel. If he does, well, then there is no reason to think he would have felt the need to adhere to what King laid out...except as an outline. Flanagan is a King fan, has already delved into adapting his work, and I think is a solid horror director. So, if this film is as entertaining a sequel as 2010 was...well...I will probably enjoy it.

For the record, I have not read King's Doctor Sleep novel...yet...

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The trailer inspired me to watch Kubrick's The Shining tonight. What struck me is how opposite it is from most horror movies, which rely on jump scares and sudden startling events. Kubrick's Shining derives its horror from a hypnotic, relentless persistence; you want the movie to cut away, but it doesn't. It feels like a nightmare you can't wake up from. You see the threats coming, and you feel powerless to stop them. The only movie that jumps to mind as occupying remotely that same space is It Follows.

My guess is that this film will be as faithful to the King novel as it can be, given the major differences between King's Shining and Kubrick's Shining -- mostly notably the destruction of the hotel via defective boiler in the book that does not happen in the movie, and the death of Dick Hallorann, which does not happen in the book.

8. Message #8 of 23 Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My main complaint with the book was the girl was too powerful. Her winning in the end was a foregone conclusion and there was no suspense. So I hope that the film version is less of a Mary Sue.

9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I clicked on the spoiler thinking it was about The Shining, not Dr Sleep.

Beware (not blaming Cameron btw).

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Good point. I gave it a title so it's more clear.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Final trailer

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Looks pretty great to me.

The biggest question for me after that trailer is how Dick Hallorann is clearly alive when Dick Hallorann clearly died in Kubrick's Shining.

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Doctor Sleep The Book is a sequel to The Shining The Book. Presumably the filmmakers will just do the same here as necessary.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I get how the book had Dick as a character, since he didn't die in the book chronology.

But this film is clearly both an adaptation of Doctor Sleep the book and a sequel to Kubrick's film adaptation of The Shining. In addition to the faithful recreation of the sets and even shot compositions from the Kubrick film, other elements in the trailer track with the Kubrick's chronology -- like the Overlook being abandoned rather than burned to the ground.

I wouldn't mind a retcon of Dick's death, since I always thought it was a mistake in the film. But I hope the explanation is a good one.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  15. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Not to be a half glass empty kind of guy, but I feel like this movie is asking for trouble. Now, I never read the book, but from what I kind of understand, DS was only a loose sequel involving characters from the Shining and by way of that existing in the same universe, but that was kind of where the connection ended for the most part. This movie seems to rely heavily on familiarity with Kubrick’s version which makes me feel like the people who are expecting a direct sequel to that will end up disappointed, or the people who liked the book will say they relied too much on the Kubrick version. Couple that with the fact that the track record of King adaptations is dicey at best.

Obviously I could end up being completely wrong, but kind of my thought at this point.

16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t know if I’d call it a loose sequel - it’s about Danny as an adult. He obviously doesn’t live at the Overlook and Jack’s long gone, so it’s not a haunted hotel story. But it very much felt like a thoughtful depiction of how a child born with Danny’s abilities would be affected by it and how he might turn out as an adult.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It's not as direct as most movie sequels, but it's more direct than a spinoff or a separate story in the same shared universe. It deals heavily with the Torrance family's legacy of alcoholism and anger, and how the surviving members of that family grapple with it.

Danny's struggles with alcoholism and ultimate rejection of his father's violent rage.

Jack's granddaughter, Danny's niece, is basically an atomic bomb when it comes to the Shining. So if she grows up to be like Jack, she could potentially destroy the world.

There are supernatural menaces in this story, but the real tension comes not from whether Danny and Abra can defeat the baddies, but rather from whether they can master themselves.

Also, with regard to the climax:
    The final showdown in the book takes place in the ruins of the Overlook. From the trailer, it appears that the showdown of the movie takes place in the abandoned Overlook
    They're definitely trying to thread the needle here, but Mike Flanagan is the one to do it if anybody can.

Sam Posten and Doug Wallen like this.
  18. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    More excited for this than I was for IT Chapter 2.

Mostly because of director Mike Flanagan who did a bang-up job directing Gerald's Game and his Netflix - Haunting of Hill House - is an instant classic for me.

Love the first trailer. The second trailer does a good job of explaining what the story is about.

Can't wait to see how Flanagan weaves the book and movie versions of The Shining into this movie.

As to Hallorann, expect he'll be like a Force Ghost visible to Dan only. Man, the impulse to refer to him as Danny is so strong!

Tino and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The 1.78:1 versus 1.85:1 debate in the UHD review thread for The Shining got me to pay attention to the aspect ratio for this. It seems like 2.39:1 is quickly becoming the default for feature films, perhaps to help better differentiate from televsion. But I'm really glad this was framed at 1.85:1 so that it matches up with The Shining.

If it's a good as I'm hoping it is, it'll be cool to do a double feature one day and roll right from The Shining into Doctor Sleep.

20. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Runtime has been finalized, 152 minutes.

Also a couple of new posters were released last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]