What's new

Doctor Goldfoot (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Checked this out a little further on this laptop.

The TGG Bikini still appears squished to the naked eye. Measuring with a ruler, both the MGM and TGG images come in between 2.26:1 and 2.29:1. In comparing a couple of different frames, the MGM picture contains more image on the left, top, and bottom. The left and bottom cutoff are the most noticeable, even at the opening AIP logo in which "Presents" is uncomfortably close to the bottom.

The TGG also appears squished on another small TV, though it is ever so slightly more forgiving, but even with gross overscan on that screen you see that the left, top and bottom are cut off all the same.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon cancelled my preorder of PELHAM and RUNAWAY TRAIN as "unavailable" (I was hoping for an anamorphic RT).

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Apparently, PELHAM is a 90's remake:
http://www.silverdisc.com/images/00/011891800518.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/323402/doctor-goldfoot#post_3969968
Had to scrounge through the $5 bin at Walmart, but I finally came up with what appeared to be their only copy of Dr. Goldfoot. Just popped it in for a very quick look, and, well, I dunno, someone else needs to check it out so we can compare notes.

They're both anamorphic, as reported above, but the image on Bikini is slightly squished; i.e., people are too tall and thin. And the image quality seemed a bit rough. I then put in the MGM for a quick comparison, and of course there's no such distortion. But not only that -- the MGM, zoomed to the 16x9 screen, looks BETTER, more watchable, than the TGG.

Never seen Girl Bombs, so have nothing to compare it to. Image quality is about the same as Bikini but at least there's no geometric distortion.

EDIT: Just read the dvddrive-in.com review linked to above, and their impression of the image quality doesn't reflect what I was seeing at all. I'll take another look later.

I see exactly what you are seeing. Noticed the squished look right off. I also forgot how bad a movie Girl Bombs was, but it it is a Vincent Price and anything Mr. Price graces is enjoyable in a certain way. I plan to keep the Midnight Movies copy.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Having taken a more leisurely look at the TGG transfers, I'm not sure why I was judging their video quality as being so "rough". Aside from the squeeze and the cutoff on Bikini, both look as fine as I'd reasonably expect them to, so I don't know what I was thinking.

But I'm also keeping my Midnight Movies copy -- especially since it just happens to be one of those that's eminently watchable on my 50" screen even when zoomed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JoHud said:
More that appear to only be available at Walmart. These will probably be through e-tailers like the others in the future. There are likely more out there.
Woman in the Window / The Stranger
Along Came Jones / Fury at Showdown -- Previously unreleased on DVD
From Noon Till Three / Assassination -- First official R1 DVD release
Convict Cowboy / The Defiant Ones -- Previously unreleased on DVD
High Noon, Part II: The Return of Will Kane / The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory -- Previously unreleased on DVD
Update: These particular double features are now listed on Amazon.com. However, Amazon has decided to price them at $15.98. Also, four more are confirmed at this same price.
Breaker! Breaker! / Killer Force -- Previously unreleased on DVD
Sins Of The Father/ A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die -- Previously unreleased on DVD. For 2nd film, first "official" DVD release (The Wild East edition is OOP and expensive)
Berlin Tunnel 21 / A Time of Destiny -- Previously unreleased on DVD
Stalin / Assassination Tango -- Previously unreleased on DVD

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Does anyone know what the deal is regarding the non-walmart exclusive titles? They are all up for pre-order on Amazon but with no release date. Movies unlimited had them as being released on 9/27 a thursday and now have them listed for 12/31/12 a monday. I am assuming those are placeholder dates. Does anyone know when those other titles are supposed to come out? Movies unlimited has box covers and the works listed. I have e-mailed tgg direct and found out that many of the previously full frame discs now have 16:9 widescreen masters. Such examples are Clifford/ Larger Than Life, Real Men, etc. I would love to have these but don't want to preorder unless I know when they are coming out.
-mark

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
If you have an email for TGG why not ask them? I'd like an answer to these questions as well!
It's almost inconceivable that TGG would want to limit these releases to the bargain bins at Walmart, they will miss many sales by doing that.
I suppose it;s possible they have some sort of co-funding deal with Walmart, meaning the titles would be exclusive to there - for who knows how long, sometimes it;s permanent - but usually when stores do this, they publicise the titles and put them on prime shelves. Not shove them un-announced into bargain bins.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Nebiroth said:
I suppose it;s possible they have some sort of co-funding deal with Walmart, meaning the titles would be exclusive to there - for who knows how long, sometimes it;s permanent - but usually when stores do this, they publicise the titles and put them on prime shelves. Not shove them un-announced into bargain bins.
At Minimum, Wal-Mart may have committed to make large purchases of these titles up-front.

Kneeteartap

Auditioning
Real Name
Pepperwinkle P.H.D.
Bob Cashill said:
Amazon cancelled my preorder of PELHAM and RUNAWAY TRAIN as "unavailable" (I was hoping for an anamorphic RT).
Are there no Walmarts in Brooklyn ? If you need RUNAWAY TRAIN just let me know. $8.00 c.o.d.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Even if there is a WalMart, there's no guarantee as to which titles they happen to have put into their particular bargain bin.
And of course, not everyone is able to even get to a WalMart, for a variety of reasons.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
importcds.com carries some of the TGG titles. The double features are $4.45 and the TV show partial season sets are $9.95. They charge a handling fee of a $1.50 on the first item plus $1.49 postage per item.
You are right. Making a special trip to a Walmart that may not carry the titles I am looking for is a bigger waste of time and gas, than the the $12.94 I paid for Bat Masterson Vol. 1, online at importcds.
Eventually these TGG titles may show up at Walmart.com at the $5.00 price.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Chas in CT said:
I wonder if Pit and the Pendulum has likewise been made anamorphic on the TGG release.
I picked up the Pit & Pendulum and Tales Of Terror double feature today.
I am pleased to report that Pit is indeed anamorphic! Looks to be from the same source material as the R2 release as, from what little I compared, they look identical.
Tales Of Terror looks to be the same as the previous DVD.
Pit is my favorite horror movie so it was well worth the $5 for me to buy a third copy (LD, original R1 DVD, R2 DVD, re-mastered R1)!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Excellent! I know the feeling. It's about to be my third, too. No, make that fourth. I still have the lovely old gatefold widescreen laserdiscs of the Poe films.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, this is my FIFTH copy of Pit. I forgot I had the VHS at one time and I also have a 16mm print. :)
Oh, the audio for the VP double feature is uncompressed PCM!
A word of warning about the TGG P&P transfer: about 4 1/2 minutes starting around 30 minutes in has been improperly encoded. Pans become jagged, the PQ is softer and the audio becomes strident. It ends when they bring VP back to his bedroom and Kerr walks out. When it cuts to Kerr in the hallway, the PQ goes back to sharp and clear and the audio becomes normal again.
It's almost like that footage came from a different source and they just spliced it in. Strange. :confused:
I decided to correct this by replacing the "bad" footage with the same footage from the R2. It's a seamless edit. If you have the means, I suggest you do the same.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There are two recent reviews on Amazon that claim the Edward G Robinson double feature includes a colorized Woman in the Window. Can anyone confirm that issue with the recent TGG Direct release?
Bob Gu said:
importcds.com carries some of the TGG titles. The double features are $4.45 and the TV show partial season sets are $9.95. They charge a handling fee of a $1.50 on the first item plus $1.49 postage per item.
You are right. Making a special trip to a Walmart that may not carry the titles I am looking for is a bigger waste of time and gas, than the the $12.94 I paid for Bat Masterson Vol. 1, online at importcds.
Eventually these TGG titles may show up at Walmart.com at the $5.00 price.
I took advantage of this with a couple titles that were listed "in stock" and hope for the best. I also can't afford multiple trips to Wal-Mart due to my proximity, and when I did, not a single TGG Direct title was available, just the usual Mill Creek and Echo Bridge bargain titles.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I ordered a copy of Foreign Intrigue from Amazon over a week ago and it still hasn't shipped. It's not listed as a pre-order so I assume Amazon is having problems getting copies from TGG.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I don't know about Amazon, but I ordered a copy of Foreign Intrigue at the start of the week from Oldies.com and received an email confirming it had shipped yesterday.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I went the Oldies route as well. Originally I ordered from Deep Discount, but that got cancelled. Flipped to Oldies and now have Intrigue, Goldfoot and Pendulum headed my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks