What's new

Doc. - 'The Men Who Killed Kennedy' - Tuesday! (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
How many folks are looking forward to this DVD? This is practically the only show I have actually made a point of watching on 'History Channel'; in fact, I try to watch at least several of the episodes every time 'History Channel' repeats the series. The 'badgeman' theory still sends chills down my spine.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Hello there. i for one would like to hear a bit more about this release. I just checked at Amazon but didn't see it listed, is that the name of the disc "Men who killed Kennedy"?
How long does the doc run, pretty good quality, and any other tidbits you can think of...
Thanks for bringing this up!
------------------
My Home theater
[Edited last by MichaelO on November 15, 2001 at 03:25 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Didn't even know this was coming. As for the documentary, there are production aspects about it I don't like. I also think the producers grasp at straws a bit--far too much time is spent on that Italian underworld figure of dubious credibility.
And that whole "Badge Man" sequence nearly had me laughing--those guys were like people who look into the sky and "see" faces and objects in clouds.
However, I'll purchase this one.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone care to elaborate on the "Badge Man" theory? You guys have got me curious.
Thanks.
------------------
My Home theater
[Edited last by MichaelO on November 15, 2001 at 03:44 PM]

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Men Who Killed Kennedy" is one of the biggest crocks of BS ever foisted on a gullible public. The cottage industry of conspiracy wackos who have profited off the JFK Assassination with their theories that don't pass muster under any rational standard of historical research or analysis remains an outrage to me.
The "Badge Man" theory is but one of many silly theories that posit that amidst the shadows of a blurry and deteriorated Polaroid photo of the assassination scene you can somehow see when you blow up the picture (and decrease the clarity and resolution in the process) see if you use the Rorshach method hard enough a "puff of smoke" behind which the shadows of a man wearing a police uniform with a badge can be seen. The fact that (a) such a "gunman" would have been in plain sight to spectators across the Plaza (b) the location doesn't correlate to any shots that were fired and (c) one of the people who like to tout this theory is none other than the moron who was O.J. Simpson's photo "expert" at his civil suit trial (the guy who said 30 photos of O.J. wearing the shoes that matched those found at the scene were all faked) is something that you won't hear in this "documentary."
They should make a documentary of Gerald Posner's magnificent "Case Closed" instead, which is where you'll hear the truth about the assassination for a change.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, thanks so much for the detailed post. I think I might skip this one, heck I'm already going to have my hands full this Tuesday as it is, with all the other great titles being released.
I might rent it, but I won't buy it as I already have Oliver Stone's conspiracy theory disc
wink.gif

Thanks again!
------------------
My Home theater

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Eric said, with a vengeance. I am glad Mr. Posner's book was mentioned, too--though I can't say I agree with Case Closed a hundred percent, it is so refreshing to read a sane voice considering a subject where rational thought is often tossed to the wind.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that I really enjoyed this doc... sure some of it was waaaay out there- but I'm interested in all possible theories in this case.
I wanted to own this doc when it first aired, but was VHS only- I'll certainly buy the DVD. Anyone else know if/where it is available. The history channel's site still only shows VHS, and this is the first I've heard of a DVD version.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority !!
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on November 15, 2001 at 04:49 PM]

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I have this excellent series on tape and will probably buy the DVD set.
By the way, I read Posners hack job. I want my money back.
Frank

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Nuts! The release has apparently been delayed, to 1/29/2002. The information can be found at Image-Entertainment's web site; enter 'Men Who Killed Kennedy' in the search engine on the home page. The release date *used* to be 11/20/01. I probably should have double-checked the darn web site before yesterday's post. Oh well, 1/29/2002 will arrive soon enough.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Wow! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is excited about this release! I haven't seen any official word or anything, but I suspect that this DVD has been pushed back until 1/29/2002, because that is what Image Entertainment is reporting. If it were really coming out on the 20th, you'd think that amazon and a few of the other retailers would have it listed.
Or maybe it's a conspiracy? heh heh heh :)
I really enjoyed this documentary when they played it on the History Channel and since I'm very interested in the Kennedy Assasination I'll definitely be picking it up. Here's a documentary that I highly recommend: The JFK Assassination, The Jim Garrison Tapes Link Removed Unfortunately it's only available on VHS, but I picked it up on half.com. This video contains a lot of interview footage with Jim Garrison and many witnesses. There is also some news footage that I had not seen before. If you liked The Men Who Killed Kennedy, I'd definitely recommend this one.
Gregory
[Edited last by Gregory Pauswinski on November 16, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Any "interview" with Garrison is only the chance to see a raving lunatic who tried to frame an innocent man (Clay Shaw) in action. Any historian worth his salt (as well as moderate pro-conspiracy people) concede that Garrison was a fruitcake who abused his power as DA more than any other prosecutor in modern American history. See the wonderful book "False Witness" for a thorough documenting of Garrison's shenanigans, which was made into an A+E documentary last November that deserves a DVD release far more than "Men Who Killed Kennedy" does.
Other sensible JFK documentaries that should be released on DVD.
1967 CBS News Special-"The Warren Report"
1988 PBS Nova-"Who Shot President Kennedy?"
1993 CBS News Special-"Who Killed JFK? The Final Chapter"
1993 PBS Frontline-"Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?"
And an even more valuable public service would be to see the release of the original television news broadcasts of the assassination on DVD.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Eric: I've seen every one of those documentaries you mentioned--including the one from 1967 (in 1967, no less). The best one is the episode of NOVA, which was balanced and rational.
Robert: You got that one right. And isn't it interesting that that Richard Hoagland person is still insisting that there's a "face on Mars" despite those recent high-resolution images from Mars Global Surveyor, which show nothing more than a lumpy mesa? The call of green money is more compelling than the reality of a Red Planet, I suppose.
Ahh, but it all ties together. I see it so clearly. The real reason the thirty-fifth president was assassinated was because he was going to reveal the truth about flying saucers. So, the CIA, the Mob, and the U.S. Postal Service positioned about a hundred gunmen at strategic points throughout Dealey Plaza. I don't know why people can't see this as plainly as the noses on their faces.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Briggs on November 16, 2001 at 04:18 PM]
[Edited last by Jack Briggs on November 16, 2001 at 04:19 PM]

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I showed the DVD documentary 'Image of an Assassination' to numerous people who believed the 'official' story and the single bullet theory.
Every single one of them now says the head shot came from the front and right. (In other words, the grassy knoll.
This includes a former marine WWII combat veteran.
By the way, Jim Garrison was a great man in my opinion.
I would like to read the trial transcript of his trial of Clay Shaw but Judge Harry Connick Sr. has decided that the public can't read it.
Frank

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Sorry Frank but 19 forensic pathologists who looked at JFK's X-rays and autopsy photos state unequivocably the headshot is from behind. And if you look at the first frames you will find that his head is driven slightly forward by the initial impact and only then moves backward. Plus, there is the inconvenient matter of all bullett fragments being traced to one gun only which was from the 6th Floor, not to mention the fact that those who postulate a headshot from the front can't account for where that bullett disappeared to. The trajectory of a small entry wound in the back and a massive exit wound in the front means a shot from behind, not the front.
And incidentally, it was *Garrison* who ordered the destruction of most of his files on the case, and when Gerald Posner got access to what was left behind he was still able to find out that Garrison in effect coached witnesses in order to shape a false portrait of their recollections. Not to mention there was the peculiar matter of star witness Perry Russo, who could only finger Shaw with being part of a conspiracy after he was placed under hypnosis and fed leading questions. Russo was so unreliable that that accounted for why Oliver Stone in order to present a false credibility to Garrison's case had to zap Russo out of existence and replace him with the fictional Kevin Bacon character.
Calling Garrison "heroic" is like saying Joe McCarthy was a hero who was done in by a communist conspiracy in the government. He was a demagogue who used fraudulent evidence and abused his power to try and frame an innocent man. And had Clay Shaw not died in 1974, he surely would have successfully won a defamation suit against Garrison that would have prevented him from ever writing his worthless book that got translated into Oliver Stone's worthless movie. One does not have to believe the Warren Commission's conclusions (though I do) to at least acknowledge that Garrison was an evil man.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Another great "debunking" documentary that should get a DVD release is the 1976 Nova "The Bermuda Triangle." I would add to that a 1978 Nova on UFO's that among other things contains the real story that got sensationalized in the movie "Fire In The Sky".

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I have a theory that Eric is related to Clay Shaw.
haha, just kidding

Brad_W

Screenwriter
double post? Now that's a conspiracy!!
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 16, 2001 at 05:43 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread