What's new

Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze- coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nice to have another George Pal title, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but where are SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO and TOM THUMB?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Nice to have another George Pal title, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but where are SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO and TOM THUMB?
Agreed, Dr. Lao may not be PC today and that may prevent it's release on bluray. Apparently it is available for streaming from Amazon ..
7-faces-of-dr-lao-seven-faces-of-dr-lao.29192.jpg

I find it hard to believe that Tony Randall was (cue Steve Lawrence) not even nominated :eek: ... for Best Actor! As it is MGM it's hard to say what the elements look like.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A pretty awful film, as I remember. It'll go well with The Deadly Trackers & The Ice Pirates. I wish Warner would release some bad films that I like (& there's hundreds of 'em), maybe I should send them a list.

Warner, until we get The Sea Hawk & Bad Day At Black Rock, you're on double secret probation!

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Agreed, Dr. Lao may not be PC today and that may prevent it's release on bluray. Apparently it is available for streaming from Amazon ..
Fortunately, Robert Iger does not run the Archives.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would rather have some more of their crime and film noir titles, starting with the Narrow Margin.
I would love to have THE NARROW MARGIN (both versions, but especially the original), but I am not at all sure WB owns the rights to it.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I bought 2 copies of Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze from Warner Archive in 2009.

I guess the recent discussion about the old movie is because of the upcoming (hope they don't screw it up) new one starring The Rock as Doc. "Doc Rock?"

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I recall that Warner Brothers experimented with four-walling Doc Savage. I think they did it across the country in that they rented the theatre for the first week and kept all box office monies. The second week was at 40% percentage and remanding hold over weeks were at 30%. You had to play it at least two weeks. It was very successful for Warners and the theatres in that the theatres had their operating cost covered and kept the concession monies. Warners did this two other times with re-releases of What's Up Doc and Blazing Saddles. Those were not as successful but profitable and Warners planned doing it with another new title but didn't. I can't remember the title.

By the way, Warners did not completely trust the theatres. They sent special tickets to use and engaged a theatre checker to count attendance Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was in High School working at the theatre then and remember that business for Doc Savage was crazy and had to work doubles that first weekend. Attendance sharply dropped the second and third week.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975)
BD50
NEW 2016 1080p HD REMASTER
COLOR-100 Minutes
16 X 9- 1.78:1 ASPECT RATIO
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
English SDH
Contains original theatrical trailer (1080p HD)

Based on the first of Kenneth Robeson’s 181 adventure-packed Doc Savage books, Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze hits the screen with all its gee-whiz, gung-ho spirit intact. And its bold protagonist, who along with having a Herculean body is also a surgeon, linguist and inventor, remains determined to do right to all and wrong to no one.
Ron Ely (TV’s Tarzan) plays the strapping Savage in this high-camp, big- heroics tale of his trek into the Valley of the Vanished to confront the power-hungry Captain Seas (Paul Wexler). And behind the camera are pros who know how to get the most of this entertainment bronze mine: veteran fantasy film producer George Pal (The War of The Worlds, The Time Machine) and director Michael Anderson (Around the World in 80 Days, Logan’s Run).

7ff090f99014bd8caba88c4c47c2cb21.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've never seen (or even heard of, to be honest) this movie before. Is it worthwhile? It is so obscure, there aren't even any crictic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'll take this opportunity to get it -- I'm a big fan of Doc Savage, but never saw this movie. From all I've heard, it's very schlocky, but died-in-the-wool Doc Savage fans actually liked it back when. I've read tales of it being showed at comic book conventions in the 70's and developing a cult following.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
For those completely unfamiliar, I think you should imagine Buckaroo Banzai. Doc Savage was the original uber-man, polymath, Great One. He never crossed over out of the pulps, and just remained a paperback hero.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The movie was very cheesy and campy but could have been so much more. Some elements reminded me of the Adam West Batman series. One of the bad guys was a thumb-sucking grown man sleeping in an oversized baby crib. I don't know where they got that.

I know Doc Savage is not as well-known as The Shadow or some others of the era but he deserved a better treatment than this movie. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Some elements reminded me of the Adam West Batman series.
This was how I was going to describe it. I really like this movie, it has an off beat sense of humor to it. Doc has an igloo for a vacation spot, a cool car, and Pamela Hensley is in it too. It's kind of like an art deco version of Batman.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Meant to post this with my original post but.....this is likely the last WAC BD release we'll see in 2016. WAC generally doesn't release any titles in December each year (last year Passage to Marseille was the last release in November). On the positive side, at least based on last year, we got a flood (for WAC at least) of titles in January and February (Hitchcock, Bogart, etc). Hopefully that will happen again :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Meant to post this with my original post but.....this is likely the last WAC BD release we'll see in 2016. WAC generally doesn't release any titles in December each year (last year Passage to Marseille was the last release in November). On the positive side, at least based on last year, we got a flood (for WAC at least) of titles in January and February (Hitchcock, Bogart, etc). Hopefully that will happen again :)

Well if that's the case they're going to end the year on a dud...& after starting off so well, let's hope that next Jan/Feb releases are as good as this year's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks