Doa3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Dec 4, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

How is this game? There isn't much talk about that game in here. I read some reviews on it and it was cut down for being too much like DOA2 with better graphics but I never played DOA2 so I'm thinking I would really dig this game. The last fighting game I played was MK2 on a sega genesis and Virtua Fighter 2 on my old Saturn. Is the gameplay of DOA3 fun or does it get old quick?

2. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

David,

DOA3 was one of the titles I bought when I purchased my XBOX. Unfortunately, I also bought Halo and Oddworld which have taken up most of my time, so my opinions on DOA3 are based primarily on limited play.

Some observations:

The graphics are fantastic. The environments are active and varied, and the multiple level arenas are a blast! The end movies are also extremely detailed and, at times, almost convince you that they are real.

The gameplay options are pretty complete. You get sparring, story, tag team and other modes. I can play any type of game when I am in different modes.

The final boss in the story mode is ridiculous. I have seen some people indicate that they like the odd viewpoint and strange dynamics of the final boss, but I find it frustrating. I don't mind a difficult fight, but the angle of the camera and the style of fighting makes you feel lucky when you finally defeat the boss. This could all be because I don't play the game as often as I should, but either way, it does take some of the fun out of the game for me.

I am looking forward to Soul Calibur 2, as I was a big fan of the first. In the meantime, this game will suffice, but won't be the first game I pick up when I sit down.

----

Joel

3. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The final boss in DoA3's story mode is one of the worst game design choices I can think of. It looks neat, but it plays terribly.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The final boss in DOA3 is EASY if you ask me, all you have to do is get close to him and pound out a combo and then sidestep around him a bit and then pound away again....I have taken him down with Christie in less than 8 seconds.

5. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've taken the final boss down with Gen Fu in about 15 seconds... I still don't like fighting him.

6. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I have a blast playing DOA with someone else, but I don't enjoy it by myself.