What's new

DOA Ultimate (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was very eager to get this latest iteration of the DOA series. So far I've been enjoying unlocking the various costumes. I think Tecmo has made that element more challenging this time around as you can only unlock things when playing at "normal" (and higher, I assume).

I tried the online play and there are certainly some lag issues, though how much that affects one's performance it's hard to say, especially when you're not very good to begin with. :)

The Tengu round seems a little easier this time, though he's still a PITA, as is Jann Lee and Zack.

I noticed on the demo of the game there is a CG gallery. I haven't unlocked that yet, but it should be pretty cool.

And I just unlocked Kasumi's Santa costume:

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
I got this on friday and i am not online so i can only comment on offline but it looks unbelievable. If you are a fan of the previous versions of DOA then this is a must have. You really don't need to be online to enjoy this since it still has vs, time attack, survival, etc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'm digging this game too. Just got it last night and was able to put about 30 minutes into it. Will have to try and unlock more costumes tonight. I thought initially that you can only unlock the story mode costumes on Normal difficulty, and Tengu is a PITA for me at that level. But now I found out you can unlock at the easy level so when I get home, I should be able to unlock more (only got 3 last night).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When this game picks up in popularity we should get an HTF Live tourney going!
smile.gif
thumbsup.gif

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Carlo, on easy you can unlock SOME costumes but eventually you will need to kick it up to normal and hard for the rest. You can also use time attack mode to unlock costumes so that may work easier for you since you won't have to fight tengu. (Ein can be even a bigger PITA)
biggrin.gif

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I like being able to watch others play online but the wait for your turn can be a little tedious. I think combat groups should be limited to about six players or so. The "loser stays" option is nice and is probably best for those who are still honing their skills.

I tend to have more difficulties with the stage before Tengu. Tengu has several points of vulnerability and he won't even do his hurricane thing when you're within a close proximity. If you can just keep the pressure on him and stay close you can really knock down his health. It's a minor miracle to win on a first try, but it's happened.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I know you have to play at Normal for a lot of them, but you also have to complete story on easy to get some (i.e. finishing at Normal doesn't get you the Easy stuff too--though I would think it should since if you can beat it at normal you can beat it at easy).

I just think that beating the Story mode in Easy is at least more rewarding (quicker to beat the mode) and will let me fine tune my skills so I don't bang my head against the wall trying to finish all the stories in Normal setting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

That's not my experience. I played on normal for much of it and switched to easy and nothing unlocked. I believe I was already at costume 10 or 11 for Kasumi. Over at Game Faqs there is a chart that shows which costumes get unlocked relative to difficulty setting. Basically, for all the women costumes 8 to 15 are unlocked on Normal setting. Costumes above and below that range are unlocked with easy and hard, respectively. However, my experience shows that costumes 3-7 can be unlocked at the normal setting as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'm not entirely sure what I'm reading, then. So do you have to beat the story mode SEVERAL times per character to get those additional costumes? I finished Tina's story mode and only got 1 costume unlocked, but I thought there are quite a few costumes available, right?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
"I see!" said the blind man...

Well at least you can unlock some of them on Easy. I'll start there and then move up. Right now it's taking me too long per "normal" story mode for my tastes...
biggrin.gif

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
How sweet are the costumes? The only thing that I didn't like about DOA3 was the lack of unlockables as compared to DOA2: Hardcore on PS2. I don't know if my wallet can handle all of the Live games I want this year.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, it's no coincidence that certain costumes are unlocked on "hard," if you know what I mean ;) (Think DOA Beach Volleyball).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I think I have "video game thumb" (akin to carpal tunnel I'm sure)

I've unlocked about half of the costumes (mostly the womens,
wink.gif
. Will have to convince my roommate to put in some quality time and do some unlocking so my thumb can recuperate.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed DOA3 at launch. Still looks awesome. I'm looking forward to trying DOA-U on this months Xbox Magazine demo disk.
thumbsup.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks