Do your eyes water after yawning or laughing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Mine do, it kind of sucks. It used to happen a little bit and now it seems to be more and more tears.
    Are there any kind of eyedrops or something to help out?

2. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I may be wrong but I believe that it is healthy for your eyes. Not sure stopping it is a good idea.

3. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Does anyone ever experience tightness of the arms after sneezing? I do, and it hurts, but I don't understand why it happens.[​IMG]

4. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

Tears actually stream down my face when I yawn. I've told my eye doctor this and he just shrugged it off.

5. andrew markworthy

Happens to me as well. A couple of times it's been embarrasing - I've yawned repeatedly during a 'weepie' movie and afterwards have been 'accused' of being moved to tears by the sentimental tosh. Trying to explain that it's the opposite (i.e. I was bored rigid) doesn't always convince people who don't know me well.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Isnt it normal to tear up after yawning?

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I tear up when I yawn.

Jeff Pryor I too get a shooting pain in my arm when I sneeze sometimes, it can be quite painful. I have no idea what it is. In fact I think I'll see if I can find anything on the net right now.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I get a weird feeling in my shoulder area when I sneeze. Not a shooting pain, more like a tightness.
    Years ago when I asked my doctor about this he told me it was due to the pressure on the body caused by the sneeze itself...And that people who experience this type of feeling are sneezing "wrong" becaue they're inhaling too much air and holding the sneeze in unintentionally rather than allowing it to happen.
    I've never fully bought this explanation because I simply refuse to admit that I don't know how to sneeze properly, but I figured I'd share anyway[​IMG]

9. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I've always teared up after yawning.

Most people don't get it and assume that I must be crying.

10. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    People always ask me if I'm crying after I yawn, I tear up really bad sometimes. As for the sneezing thing, well, I get that pain, too, not every time though. It hurts like hell and feels like it took a few years off your life.

11. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Yeah, what I'm around people, after I yawn, its inevitable that someone asks "What's wrong" because it looks like I'm about to cry, apparently. If its spring or summer I usually just say allergies, because its a better explanation then "it just happens what I yawn"
    JQ

12. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Wow ... I thought I was the only one that got that pain after they sneezed. Hurts like hell! Feels like my body's cramping up. Doesn't happen all the time, though. But when it does ... yikes!

Freddy C.

13. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

My eyes water when I laugh a lot. It's a little annoying sometimes, but mostly not a problem. I also often tear up when it's cold and windy.

14. Jimmie Lee

Jimmie Lee Extra

Sneezing can put tremendous pressure on the cervical vertebrae of the neck. This pressure can cause temporary compression of nerves that run through the cervical spinal column. If too much pressure is exerted on the nerves, pain can radiate through the shoulders down into the arms. Since each sneeze can be of varying intensity, and the head and neck can be in various orientations during the sneezing process, it is unpredictable whether a specific sneeze can, or will cause discomfort.

One remedy for avoiding pain induced by sneezing, is to tilt your head back and look at the ceiling/sky just prior to, and during the sneeze. This will take much of the pressure off of the cervical vertebrae during the sneeze, and generally eliminate any discomfort that may be caused by the sneeze.

Please keep in mind that it is recommended to cover the mouth during this skyward sneeze in order to prevent showering yourself and others with the resultant spray.

Happy sneezing!

15. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Here's another strange one. Blowing my nose (not hard) can sometimes force a pocket of air through my eye. No pain or discomfort, just weird.

16. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Ok you guys are all freaking me out here especially Travis O with that damn picture in his Signature.... [​IMG]
    KyleS

17. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I tear up during yawning too. I have no idea why, and it always seems like I'm yawning during some sad part of a movie. How annoying [​IMG]
    -Marshall

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This happens to me as well, but it's only embarrassing when I do it while shooting the breeze with officemates and have to wipe away the tears (very conspiculously).

19. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

damn! I agree with all you!! My eyes tear up super bad, when I yawn... everyone thinks im crying. I have yet to have found anyone with this same "problem".
    One day I went to one of the best eye doctors in the state (because WalMarts Optomotrist said I had Glaucoma!!)
    Well he said I was fine, and I asked "why my eyes tear up so bad?"
    The doctor told me theres a drainage canal of some sorts that is normally supposed to be like a "a normal straw" but in my case... it is "like a bended straw" and cant get rid of the tears quick enough. Something to that effect.
    Anyways on that same note..... this may be what you all have. Just my opininon. But if you ever go to the doctor and they question Glaucoma........ depending on there experience they may (assuming you guys have what I have) say you have glaucoma.
    I hope this makes sense [​IMG]