Do your ears adapt to better speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Ever since I bought my beginnings of a beginners HT I have not been listening to my mini-system. Anyway, I was used to listening to music on my Paradigm Titans. I decided to give the mini-system a whirl.
    To say the mini-system disappointed me is a severe understatement. The bass was bloated, boomy and undefined. The treble was very poor and the midrange was very unclear. But just a year ago I was very satisfied with this system. I knew it wasn't the best(believe it or not I thought those Giga-tube minisytems were top-of-the-line in the audio world!)but I thought it sounded good. In a side by side with my Titans, the minisystem sounded like it was underwater.

I guess the question I am getting at is: Do your ears adapt to better speakers? Am I just used to the sound of my Paradigms? If this is so, why bother upgrading. As long as you are happy with what you have why bother teasing your ears by listening to systems you will never have?

2. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I suggest you stop "teasing your ears" now if you don't want to buy new speakers...
    I've been teasing mine for 12 years and haven't stopped upgrading yet.
    [​IMG]

3. Mike Ford

Mike Ford Extra

Your ears adapt to new stuff, both good and bad. Lots of people spend years going slowly back and forth among the four primary types; musical, detailed, boosted eq, flat response.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I listen to very high end systems to help comfort a state of mind that my system isn't far off.
    [​IMG]
    I am a firm believer that it's much easier on people to upgrade than it is to downgrade. I like change which is often preferred over owning the same speaker my entire life which is why I upgrade when I have the urge for something "better".
    When I do get something better it creates finite happiness that I relish and I then get to show off my upgrade to make others jealous which makes me feel better.
    The cycle continues until I lose my passion for audio and gain a passion for something else.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

What you don't know can't hurt you. You don't adapt to better speakers, you just realize what you were missing. I actually thought the Bose cubes were good (for about a year, I learn quickly).

You could even go to the extreme and say that your speakers are the best in the world, because you don't know of anything better. We are the ones telling you that there is better, so you trust us and get something better. Then that is the best in the world for you. But it is for the best. If it wern't for forums like this I would still be listening to Bose.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would say yes you do get used to them. I have been listening to my GR AV1's for nearly a year now and when I go to my friends places to watch a movie on other speakers, they hurt my ears and sound very harsh. Which I did not experience before getting my GR's.

7. Jon Sotelo

Jon Sotelo Auditioning

This is the #1 reason why I don't want to hear a better system than I have. Mine sounds pretty good but I know if could be better. If I hear a nice system it's going to make me want to upgrade :)