Do you worry about a newer, better format coming out soon, rendering DVD obsolete?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I've read recently about 2 formats, both supported by all the major studios, that absolutwly blow DVD out of the water, in terms of potential picture resolution and audio bitrate. The first was High Def VHS (currently only playable on special 4-figure TVs), and the second was a new digital disc format that has (I think) 6-8 times higher storage capacity than DVD! The latter of which, is already in the home recordable machine, development stage!
    I don't know about you guys, but this makes me very nervous. I know it's gonna happen sooner or later. BUt I was hoping for later. I mean, DVD's still an infant. It hasn't had a chance to experience the troubled teen years, or the swinging early 20s! [​IMG] Compared with other members, my collection is modest (under 100 discs), but I choose carefully, and I'm constantly selling or trading old discs I no longer want, so I really have a distilled selection. So the thought that there will new editions of those flicks in the near future, viewable at 4-5 times the resolution of DVD, irritates me no end.
    Do any of you guys have similar worries?

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Shit! If a mod reads this, could you change the second do in the thread header to a you. How embarassing! :b

3. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I for one don't live in the future. Why worry about a future format? I tend to buy DVD's because they make me feel good TODAY.
    There will always be a better format around the corner, but as long as it will still play the movies I've bought earlier, I'm happy. I do hope they don't change the packaging, you know, make the box taller or something. I love my "wall of dvd's" [​IMG]
    I don't think I'll be buying "upgraded" discs or tapes of the movies I already own. Well, at least not many.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

No... it is not going to happen. Believe me... I would LOVE to have High Definition copies of all of my favorite films (although I don't think Spinal Tap could look any better... but that is beside the point [​IMG] ).
    My belief is that simply... the studios don't want us to have perfect copies of movies... why you say?
    1. End of the 'money train' - With perfect digital copies of movies that never decay and are 'film-quality'... there will be no need for people to buy films anymore, just replace them if they scratch. I think it would bring down the entire Video industry.
    2. Pirates - How much would pirate like to have perfect copies of movies on a digital format... easy to transfer to VCD, DVDR, or even FMD with perfect clarity.
    I just don't see it happening for 10 years or more.

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Never decay? It would be nice for someone who is a disc media expert out there to say whether a DVD will last how long? 20 years? 50? 100 years?
    Or is never decay means "til the day you die"? I guess I can believe there are some people here that can imagine themselves at 80 years old popping in the Matrix and playing it at 70 db sitting back and saying "coool!" Maybe even louder, since its likely they lost some of their hearing listening to their HT at 80 db in their 20s. [​IMG]
    I think by that time, the movie industry will not go along with the HD-DVD technology unless movies can only be played in players that cannot transfer the data to a computer. How, who knows?

6. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I'm not worried on bit. Sure - DVD will be a thing of the past SOMETIME. Everything goes sooner or later. Why worry.

What are you going to do. NOT buy anymore DVD's? Do you think the industry will pimp the millions of users of DVD's?

not going to happen soon enough for me to worry about.

7. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

No..Only worry worts and fuss pots have to jump at ever new format and feed the RE-ISSUE machines... STOP REPURCHASING AND MAKE THEM DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Not ever going to replace my hundreds of DVD's with any NEW format...

8. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

There are always "better" things down the road. If you worry about that, then you won't be able to buy anything.

9. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

In this hobby, technology is part of the game. I don't worry about new formats, rather I welcome them if they heighten the movie experience in my home. That said, there are too many issues right now to even consider that HD-DVD will be here within the next three years. The studios will want to sell us their library agian, but only after they've exhausted the current format.

The way it usually works is that you will wind up replacing the "important" movies in your collection, and others you will not bother replacing. For example, take the Die hard series. I had/have these on VHS, LaserDisc (twice for the first two movies), and DVD (twice). These will be repurchased on any future format. On the other hand, something like Congo (1995) I will not repurchase on the next format. I got it for about $5 back in the insane internet Reel.com days, and it's just not a good enough movie to repurchase on HD-DVD. I would say that roughly 50-60% of my collection would be repurchased. The rest were impulse or "cheap" buys.

If you are truly into having the best presentation possible given current technology, then replacing your favorite movies as technology moves along is not that big of a deal. If it is a "big deal", then I would say that you are not truly either a "film buff" or a "home theater enthusiast". It's all just part of this great interest/hobby.

Regards,

Dan

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Anthony... if the DVD is kept in storage (like a DVD case), in a constant temperature... where it won't melt or freeze. DVDs will last forever... really... I'm not making this up. Of course, DVDs haven't been around for too long... but when I am 100, I guess I can test my hypothesis [​IMG]

11. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

As far as I'm concerned, DVDs are already obsolete.

I rarely ever watch DVDs anymore. THe picture quality just isn't good enough.

There is more then enough HDTV on per week to keep me happy.

12. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Frank, is that a joke? How could you say that the picture is 'not good enough' on a DVD? Do you watch films because you like the movie, or because you like the technology?

13. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

I'm not worried about HD-DVD. Store shelves still have tons of VHS movies even though DVD has been around for years. DVD is quite popular, so it'll stick around even when (if?) HD-DVD comes out.

In fact, I might actually like HD-DVD, as it'll probably force the price of regular DVDs to go down a bit.

14. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I will be obsolete way before my DVDs ever will be. [​IMG]

15. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

As a survivor of the 'Fall of the Laserdisc Empire', I pretty much took it for granted that DVD's days were numbered when I jumped in. The death of laserdisc was a bit of a surprise to me, but the writing on the wall seems a bit clearer in DVD's case.
    I could jump back into LD time and restate some old sentiments like 'I'll never replace the films I already own on DVD!' But DanR's scenario is a more realistic one (i.e. replace the films you like/love while keeping 'Congo' on the old format) and pretty much mirrors what happened with me and my DVD purchasing habits. My LD pile kept getting slimmer and slimmer over the years as I replaced titles. And if I'm already replacing DVDs with other DVD's (remasters, superbits etc.), then there's no way I can sanely state that I'll refrain from buying them on a new format.
    Some of the arguments against the arrival of new formats sound reasonable, but then again so did the pro-LD ones against DVD. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
    But am I scared? No way! The demise of laserdisc was a bitter time for many, but going into DVD with the expectance of its demise created a wonderful 'seize the day' spirit in me. I'm definitely not going to hold back on purchasing new discs any time soon.

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Not really.

Even if HD-DVD comes out, the number of HDTV owners is probably waaaay lower than the number of people with regular DVD players.

I welcome HD-DVD anyways...I'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia or Shrek on a high-def system.

17. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

If the DVD format only lasts another 10 years... I will most likely be willing to upgrade to the newer "better" format at that time....

Shoot I don't think that I even own a single electrical based item in my home other than the power lines that is older than 7 years.... and have even had to replace and upgrade some of the power lines to and with in my home.

--David

18. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Personally, I think we are entering the realm of diminishing returns. Will HD-DVD be significantly better than regular DVD to re-purchase all of my currently owned DVD titles? Could the sound be any better? I would probably be interested in HD-DVD for some of my favorite movies or for movies that warrent reference (like Star Wars, etc). However, if a new format NEVER came out and I was forced to stick with DVDs the rest of my life, I would certainly not shed a tear. I would welcome the new format, but its not like we are talking about chopped liver here with our current product. Resources would be better served in perfecting the current format IMHO. I highly doubt that the major studios would completely can DVD for another 15 years. Hell, if they are still making VHS, then DVD will be around for a long time. And that would be just about fine with me.

So in conclusion, I don't worry about new formats because I am perfectly content with the current product. DVD remains fresh and new to me. A new format would be nice, but I would be more than comfortable if I had to live with what we got now for another 12-15 years. Even if the new format is there doesn't mean that I have to participate...so why worry?

19. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

Q: Do you worry about a newer, better format coming out soon, rendering DVD obsolete?
    A: No.
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

20. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

After 20+ years buying high end audio and video I have learned not to worry about something I cannot control.

There will always be something newer and better.