1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you watch the Extras 1st? or the movie . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I sure can't decide. I want to watch the movie and I I see the extra features they give a lot away. But I want to see the extras so I will understand the movie.

AAAGH!

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Unless I've seen the movie very recently, I watch the movie first.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I agree with Martin. Usually it has been a few months since I've seen the movie so I will watch the film and then the extras.

4. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

I will watch the trailers first to get in the mood. Then if I liked the movie I will check out the extras.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i always watch the movie first. i don't know how many movies have been ruined for me by watching even a trailer that gives too much away.

6. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

WHEW - I always watch the trailer once I buy the DVD, then watch the movie but always WISH I had seen the features first.

THEN - if I really like the movie I'll watch the features and THEN watch the movie with commetarys.

I was just wondering if there was standard way to do things :)

7. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Depends on the movie. Lately Ive been busy and havent watched too many DVDs let alone the extras.

8. Brian Alan

Brian Alan Agent

It depends on the extra. Sometimes we'll watch the trailer before the movie, but not always, because the trailer sometimes gives things away. We always watch deleted scenes and documentaries after the movie, so as not to ruin any surprises in the film. By then, though, we're sometimes asleep, so those extras have to wait for another day.

9. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Almost inevitably, I watch the trailer first, evincing much eye-rolling from my wife. She cannot understand why, with the movie all ready to go, I would watch the trailer first.
    I might watch a few extras first -- if they are short or easy to get through in a short time. But after watching the trailer, I will generally watch the film first.
    After that, it just depends on the extras offered and of those, which catch my attention. Nine times out of ten, if there deleted scenes, I will watch those immediately after viewing the movie. Other extras -- such as BTS, stills, etc. -- I watch whenever I get the urge.
    However, I do break this routine with some movies. I watched the deleted scenes and "music video" on Gladiator before ever watching the movie itself. However, that is because we received it on the day before we were leaving on vacation, and would not have time to watch the whole film until we returned.
    Actually, as I write, I realized that if I know the film VERY well, I might even watch the deleted scenes (if available) BEFORE seeing the movie. Otherwise as above.
    Commentaries are viewed/heard last, mostly because of the time involved. For instance, I've watched Moulin Rouge now 3-4 times, seen all (or nearly all) of the extras, but only have had time to listen to half of one of the commentary tracks.

10. Cliff B

Cliff B Agent

I always watch the movie first. The only time that I'll ever watch anything on a disc before a movie is when I have a friend or two over and they ask what certain movies are about. It's easier (and more entertaining) just to show them the trailers.

11. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

If I haven't seen the movie before I always watch the movie first. Even when I have seen the movie before I almost always watch the movie before the Extras, but there have been a few exceptions. One was the recent release of American Pie 2, since I had seen it in the theaters not too long before the release I decided to watch the Extra stuff first.

12. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I almost always watch all of the extras before watching the movie, and most of the time I watch the commentary before I watch the movie. I very rarely buy a DVD of a movie I have never seen (I can count the ones I have on one of Homer Simpson's hands - Sleepy Hollow and The Emperor's New Groove come to mind), so having seen the movie I dive into the bits that I haven't seen before... the extras.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

On weeknights I'll usually watch some of the extras first, as I don't have time to watch the whole movie at one sitting.
    I try to restrict myself to the "making of" stuff, as they don't usually give away too much of the film.
    On weekends, I'll watch the movie all the way thru without commentary, then usually immediately watch it again with commentary and english subtitles on.

14. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I watch the movies first. It's the reason I bought the disc in the first place. The extras always come second.

15. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I watch the movie first. I'll check out the audio and subtitle section since some dvds are default to DD2.0. I avoid the scene selection menu if I haven't seen the movie before. Isn't it great when they name chapters with spoiler materiel?

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The movie always comes first for me.

17. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Here's my typical DVD watching routine:

1) Trailers.

2) Film.

3) Extras.

4) Break.

5) Film with commentary (if any).

8^B

18. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

I usually watch the movie first, then trailers (in case they give away too much of the story - eg. 'What Lies Beneath'), then extras.

If I've already seen the movie, then I may want to check out some of the extra stuff first, but usually it's always the movie first.

19. Lin Weiwen

Lin Weiwen Stunt Coordinator

Movie first of course! In fact, I can't say that I have watched all the entire features on my DVDs yet. Just too many and so little time...[​IMG]

20. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I always watch the movie first. The movie is THE reason I buy DVDs.

Furthermore, since getting into DVD, I now watch trailers immediately after watching the movie, and it's shocking just how much info is given away in most trailers.

Personally, I'm amazed that anybody watches the trailers right before watching the movie; it just seems to spoil too much of the fun.