What's new

Do You Watch DVD Supplements 1st .... Or Last? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think it ruins a film you've never seen before to watch even the trailer first.

Film first; extras later.

What do you say?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
yes, but by the time I get the DVD, if I've already seen the movie in the cinema (or on TV), then I'd often go straight to the supplements, since I haven't seen them before.
but if I've forgotten what the movie was like, then yes, watch the movie again to refresh the memory.
make any sense at all? :crazy:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well...it depends on the DVD. If I buy it sight-unseen...then of course I watch the movie first...but otherwise it is a case by case basis. With SW:E1, I watched the extras first...same with the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I concur with you both. :)
I just a minute ago got finished watching Se7en for the first time. Quite good. Disc 2 is next.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The better question would be "do you watch DVD supplements at all?" ;) I really take that on a case-by-case basis, but I'd say I lean more towards not watching them.
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this is heading to Polls. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Greg, you're more-than-likely accurate there! :)
Yes indeed .... a lot of the extras do go unwatched in my collection. (Maybe some day...)
I noticed on "Se7en" there are multiple commentaries (3 or 4 different ones). ALL on separate audio tracks! Seems excessive. Who would want to watch/listen to FOUR different commentaries on the very same motion picture!?? I'm sure I won't.
Anyway ..... TO THE BAT-POLLS!! (Probably.) :)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I watch the trailer, then the movie, then the extras. I do watch all the extras on my DVD's as it is a big part of the DVD experience...next to awesome sound and picture.

I used to watch some of the extras first but then when I found out that the extras on The Sixth Sense completely blow the surprise, I started saving the extras for last.

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Tony. I like to watch the trailer(s) first. Especially with older movies. I like to see what got me wanting to see the movie in the first place. I watch the movie next, and all of the supplements come last.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Always last. I want to experience the movie first. Even if I've already seen it - as it has likely been six months or more since I've seen it in theaters or other home video.

Once I have my own experience with the film again, I'll go ahead an see what the supplements can give me.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Almost always last. Sometimes if I've already seen the movie I'll watch the trailer first. Also I usually look at the bio's/filmographies first.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I can't believe people watch the trailer right before the movie. Especially with all the "tell all" trailers out there.

Unless I've seen the movie recently, I always watch it first, and then the extras.

What's funny is occasionally in director's commentaries, they speak as if somebody watching it has never seen the film before. Things like: "Well, I don't want to give anything away, but that knife will play in a later scene." Anybody who watches the commentary before watching the actual film deserves to have things spoiled for them. HOw absurd!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Unless I've seen the movie very recently, I watch the movie first.

I used to try to do ALL the supplements, but I've gotten more picky:

Commentary - I'll always give the commentary a chance (unless it's a rental) but I've been quitting them more often these days.

Deleted scenes/outtakes - always, and if there's commentary I'll watch both with and without the commentary.

Featurettes/documentaries - always watch 'em, although recently I've found that I pay less attention than I used to(especially for featurettes about special effects).

Still galleries/storyboards/concept art - definitely getting less patient with these. I'll flip through the first few before I get bored.

Text supplements - less patient with these, too. It's funny... if it's in the booklet, I will ALWAYS read it. On the screen, it seems like a chore.

Cast/crew bios - only to research an actor/actress I'm impressed by and unfamiliar with

Trailers/TV spots - I skip these more often than not

Multi-angle features - I used to think these were SO neat, but now they really annoy me.

...and a mention for Criterion's radio presentations on the old Hitchcocks. I'm sure impressed that they're on the DVDs, but who has the patience to sit through them?

Keith Enright

Auditioning
"...and a mention for Criterion's radio presentations on the old Hitchcocks. I'm sure impressed that they're on the DVDs, but who has the patience to sit through them? "

Well, actually I suffer from insomnia occassionally and I'll tell you, there's nothing better than a droning commentary or an old radio program from a Criterion disc to put me right out!

Don't misunderstand me, I LOVE these supplements, but something about them makes me so comfortable I fall fast asleep. It took me FOUR consecutive nights to get completely through the commentary on Donnie Darko, and I LOVED THE COMMENTARY!!!!

:b

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If I haven't seen the film, I'll always watch it first, as the supplements often give things away. If I have already seen the film, however, I'll sometimes look at the supplements first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks