What's new

Do you want Sledge Hammer on DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
The creator/producer Alan Spencer is trying to swing a release of Sledge Hammer on DVD. It's early days and at the moment he's just trying to see if there's enough demand, or at least convince certain studios that there's enough demand.

There's an official website http://www.sledgehammeronline.com
plus a Yahoo group through which various campaigns are being organised.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sledgehammer3/

Currently, he's trying to get as many people as possible to add comments to the shows entry at imdb.com

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0090525

So, if you wanna see a release of this series on DVD join the cause! He's even in talks at the moment on the possibility of a Sledge Hammer movie!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think there would be some support for this title on DVD. Over at - yes, you guessed it! - TVShowsOnDVD.com that show is in the top 7% of the voting for shows most desired on DVD. 96% of the voters want season sets.

I personally never caught onto the show, probably because I never got to watch enough of it. But I can see where this could easily make some money on DVD.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I would buy Sledge Hammer on DVD but only in season format. It has been years since I have seen an episode of Sledge Hammer.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I recently dug out a VHS tape from back in '86 that had the premiere episode of Sledge Hammer, along with the rest of the Tuesday night block (I believe it included Growing Pains in Hawaii :) ) for a friend that had never seen the show. Not sure why I kept it, but it came in handy. Seeing it again, it was pretty uneven, but had some funny stuff. What was really weird was seeing the newscasters and commercials from back then.

They could probably put out the entire series in one set, just like with Sports Night.

Odd trivia: the actress that played Sledge's partner, Anne-Marie Martin, was until recently married to Michael Crichton, and together they cowrote Twister.

//Ken

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
"It's a Loudener..."

Of course we'd love to have Sledge on DVD!!!

As for a movie, boy that would be a tough act to follow for sure!

But point me in the direction of the dvd...
G2

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
"Sledge Hammer!" was my favorite show when I was 12, and now (thanks to the magic of really old VHS tapes) it's one of my 4-year-old boy's favorites too. I've transferred my tapes to DVD, but man oh man I would kill to buy the real deal.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The Sledge Hammer web site doesn't reflect this news, but an article last week in the Los Angeles Daily News, about political satire on TV, characterized a DVD release as being "impending":

By DAVID KRONKE
Los Angeles Daily News

While Alan Spencer, creator of the '80s cult-hit sitcom "Sledge Hammer!" has been preparing his series' impending DVD release, the distributors have made a modest request: that he "explain" the show's comic digs at Republicans.

"It was satire -- a comedy about a psychotic police detective who speaks to his gun wouldn't get past the pitching stage today," he notes. "It's surprising to some people to see such political shots being taken, so they kind of require comment. To a new generation exposed to this material, it's, 'Wow.' "

Wow, indeed. The days of social and political content in prime-time comedy -- well, now that "The West Wing" will tone down its politics, in prime-time network TV, period -- are on the ropes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Randy, that's great news. Was that just a print article, or is there a web link to it? I'd like to use that in a TVShowsOnDVD news item, if you don't mind (giving you and Mr. Kronke full credit, of course). It's better if I have a link, but that's cool if not.

I searched, but didn't find it online myself.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I couldn't wait any more. :) I figured you were off-line for the night, Randy, so I went with what I had!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thank you very much! And...an interesting article. Oh, and I agree that the website leaves much to be desired. I'm not sure how you found that; I looked high and low for it!!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks