Do you use the random/shuffle feature when listening to CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitty, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I NEVER use it. I think the first time I acquired a CD player that had this feature, I tried it for the novelty. It drove me nuts.
    On a great album, it's unthinkable (imagine "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" on shuffle [​IMG] ), but even on a compilation/greatest hits/mix concoction, I still don't like it. When I listen to CDs, I like the anticipation of the next song that I know is coming.
    Most people I know use this feature all the time. In fact, I have one friend who can't seem to listen to an album in its original song order; if his wife puts on a CD, he almost reflexively asks her, "Is it on shuffle?"
    I find it particularly annoying with a multidisc player.
    Do you use it? Why? Why not?
    P.S. Should this be in music or polls? I'm not really looking for simple yes/no answers, but more of a discussion on the merits of this practice.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I use my Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers in shuffle mode. I have two daisy-chained, and with both units set to all-disc shuffle with the "no repeat" feature engaged, I get hours of music with no breaks. It's great! [​IMG] I have better players for more critical listening, so I use the megachangers in shuffle mode almost exclusively. Thus, my other players are for more serious listening, so I don't ever use them in shuffle mode.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I'm with you, Mitty. This is the most ridiculous feature I have ever seen. Yeah, I certainly want to randomly change the order the artist had in mind. WHY?!!!! [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, on compilation discs, the order of songs may not have any real significance. That said, I never use shuffle play on a single disc because I see no need to. With the megachangers, I use shuffle play on all CDs.

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

6. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I've accidently pressed the random button while driving. The first TWO times I did this I thought my player was broken or I was going nuts. I would never use it intentionally.

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't use it. No reason to.

Keith,

With those megachangers, how quickly does the change-over take? I've been thinking of upgrading to a changer but I can't get over the dinosaur age of them when it seemed to take forever to shuffle discs. Definite mood/party killer.

Bruce

8. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I have a Pioneer 300 disc changer and I use the shuffle mode on all discs. Like having a radio station with no djs or commercials and only music I like. Other times I'll just skip around to different discs and only listen to a few songs on it and then skip to another disc. Same as in my vehicle. I rarely listen to an album all the way through nowadays, unless I just purchased it.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, if I run one megachanger in all-disc shuffle mode, there is a 15-second or so break between songs. 15 seconds may be an overestimate, but there is a noticeable break. However, I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers daisy-chained, and with both players set to all-disc shuffle play and with the "no delay" feature engaged, there is, brace yourself, no delay between songs! [​IMG] With "no delay" engaged, shuffle play alternates between players. Thus, while one player is playing a song, the second player is paused on a song. As soon as the song from the first player is over, the second player starts with no break. Then, while the second player is playing, the first one searches for a song and pauses. It's great!

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I'm with Keith - MegaChanger in random, single-cd play in sequential order (unless I just want to hear that ONE song...)

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

These days of CDRs means that when I create a compilation I normally try to fade the tracks in together so random defeats that.

I have used it with new albums that I am having trouble getting into as a way to make sure I hear later tracks I keep missing.

That aside it's not a useless feature and I think it's fine that it's there at all.

If you want annoying things with CDs for me it's that so few CD players seem to tell you time remaining on a particular track. Can't be that hard to do.

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I used to load up my 5-disc changer on weekend afternoons and hit shuffle for background music.

Now that I have an Audiotron and several GBs of my CDs ripped onto my PC, I do the same thing with infinitely more variety (and no pauses for disc changes). I like the "self-programmed radio" concept, and it keeps my collection fresh. The randomizer often pulls up songs I haven't heard in years and would never think to go pull off the shelf, but greatly enjoy hearing.

When "actively" listening to a single disc, though, I don't see the point.

Ryan

13. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I have a 200-disc player and I will hit random shuffle when I am playing a video game with my friends and don't require the sound of the game.

14. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I use shuffle a lot, both for CDs and .mp3s.
    I'll definitely agree that for some albums - Pink Floyd's DSotM or The Wall do stand out - it's just not completely appropriate. However...
    I've long been in the habit of going to sleep to music. Without shuffle, I get to know the first two to three songs of an album really well, the rest of the album isn't quite as solidly in my head.
    I have music going almost constantly in the background when I'm doing most anything that doesn't involve watching a movie, but it's not always the first and foremost thing on my mind, so the 'OSO' (Original Song Order [​IMG]) doesn't matter all that much, and shuffle can help me stay familiar with more of my music.
    With a large collection of music (1000+ CDs), it's easy to lose track of certain songs. As Ryan mentioned, there are often hidden gems that you haven't actively chosen to listen to in a while, but are definitely worth hearing when they pop up on a random basis.
    When I'm DJ'ing I like to try to keep as much of my music as fresh in my head as possible. Shuffle helps me with this, due to a combination of all the above factors - I don't end up concentrating more on the first half of an album than the last, the shuffle play might remind me of songs I haven't thought to play in a while, and so on.
    I can understand the arguments for not using it - but for me, it serves its purpose quite well.

15. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

I might of used this feature six times since I bought my CD player 3 years ago. And it was always on "Compilation CD's", NEVER on an Album. I believe the order is important and can make or break a great album.

16. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I almost never use the shuffle feature, but don't have any great desire to see it gone.

On something with a large database of tracks (computer, iPod-style player, CD changer), I could see a shuffle feature serving as a sort of commercial-free-radio.

17. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

All the time!

When going to/from work, I usually don't have time to listen to an entire album, so in random it plays the later tracks sometimes.

I also like the element of surprise, not knowing what song will come next. At work I use that Cross-Fading plug-in in WinAmp.

I randomize even compilations in which the order was carefully selected, namely my "Don't expect too much from her: Songs about Viviane" compilation where all songs represent how I felt at different times during that 3 years relationship/waste of time... Except for Track #1 which is the song that I was listening to (Auto-Repeat) on my way back from her place, the last time... It's sort of like a Flashback thing, the song that played on the End first and all the others in order after. But anyway, I always listen to it in randomized because it's nearly 80 mins long and it doesn't take that long to go to work.

For Live albums though, it is a pain most of the time, but the Cross-fading plug-in compensates a bit.