Do you use the Loundness function?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TylerN, Feb 11, 2002.

1. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone turns on the Loudness function on their receiver for 2 channel listening (if its an option).

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Tyler, do it if you like the sound. I used it for a while but determined that I was degrading the sound by doing so (the loudness function boosts bass and treble frequencies at low volumes). What I found is that when I killed the tone controls, the sound was a little empty and flat (at first). Simply put, it was just my ears that were used to the sound provided with the loudness feature turned on. After a couple weeks my ears got used to the tone controls being off and now I much prefer the sound. Tighter, cleaner, not as boomy. However I think a lot depends on your speakers. If you have crappy speakers, the loudness function can augment the sound and make them passable. If you have great speakers, you owe it to yourself to turn the loudness feature off to see what the recording artist intended to be heard. But, to each his own...do what sounds best to you.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I most definately prefer flat tone controls and a very neutral/accurate sound. But at low volumes a loudness control is helpful and does what it is intended to do - boost bass/treble in such a way to compensate for low volume and the sensitivity of our ears.

That's a mouthful, but hope I got my point across about when/how/why to use "loudness". Good for soft volume but when I start turning up the volume I HAVE to turn it off - too boomy/bright, lack of midrange.

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

No...

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

at times, i've used my loudness function when watching action movies! it's kind of fun. although i know i'm not hearing the sound exactly the way it was intended, it's still kinda cool to get that extra impact during explosions, gun-shots, etc. i suppose it's no different than someone running their sub "hot"?

in any case, i never use it for anything else...especially music. i find it too boomy.

so as already stated, it's definitely personal preference!

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

My preamp lacks a loudness control but if it had one, I would never touch it. The principle behind loudness controls is sound (no pun intended) but in practice, its implementation is invariably associated with deleterious effects on the wave form. This is the same reason that virtually all high-end preamps lack tone controls.

Larry

7. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

On two channel equipment that I have owned in the past and any that I still use today, I do use this function. I found that I could listen to lower volume levels with it, for its purpose was to make up for a defecientcy in our hearing of bass sounds at low levels known as the Fletcher-Munson curve. I might add, that some units had harsh sounding loudness functions that could ruin low level sound. These loundness controls generally boosted the bass and highs at low level listening, but would not effect the sound at high levels. For instance if you turned up your amp or receiver at a higher volume and switched this function on and off, you will notice its effect decreases rapidly.

Some loudness functions only boost bass levels. Some work better than others.

In the case of the Yamaha 2095 receiver, this function worked extremely well with NHT Supertwo towers. The passive subs in these towers benefitted immensely by this control which according to Yamaha was to be used to emulate the sound of a subwoofer where one was not present. Of course a passive sub was present in this situation. This allowed one to have "stereo subwoofing" which creates a nice listening experience for music and movies.