Do you use Nero?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Since getting a new machine I've been bitten by the VCD bug. I'm taking .mov files from a digital camera and burning them to cd, creating a VCD. I've been using a demo of Nero and am wondering what everyone thinks of it (so far it seems good to me). Anything else out there? Thanks.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've been using it for awhile and like it quite a bit. It's fast and functional, without a lot of the extra fluff & bloat of some of the other programs.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I use it as well. Very well organized and easy to use, it doesn't make the mistake of cluttering itself up with a bunch of mostly useless gizmos.

Bruce

4. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

I too am giving the Nero demo a try. I downloaded version 5.5 (I think!) and am wondering if that's the latest version. I have liked it so far but don't want to purchase it after the demo period is over if it's not the latest. Does anyone know? I spent a lot of time yesterday burning MP3 cd's and like it so far. Does it have a program similar to Easy CD Creator that allows you to write directly to a (formatted) CD-Rom disc? I use Easy CD to write to when I do a DVD Profiler backup and it's very handy and would want that feature with Nero.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

For VCDs/SVCDs, I use TSCV to create a CD image (bin/cue), then burn the image with Nero. You can actually burn discs with TSCV, but it uses CDRDAO, which doesn't work too well on my system. THe advantage of using TSCV is that you have much more control over the way the menu works and the disc chaptering. It's kinda quirky, but it's free and works much better than Nero's built in VCD/SVCD authoring.
    For other kinds of discs, it's Nero all the way.
    -Dave

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

8. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I use it with no issues...it does a few things only, but it does them right.
    Thanks
    Tim K.
    [​IMG]

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Nero does everything that I need it to do. In fact, I'm starting to use it more than Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum because I've found no incompatiblity issues with Nero whereas I'm finding a lot with EZCDC.

10. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

I've had great luck burning VCD's with Nero (5.5.9.0 currently). It's simple and reliable.
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like I'm going to go with Nero, it's worked well for me so far.

12. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Well, I must be doing something wrong... I can't get data or VCDs to burn properly with nero... Audio CDs are fine I think...
    (or was I using Feurio! when that CD with CD-TEXT actually worked?) [​IMG]
    Anyway, what settings do you guys use to burn your Data or VCDs? I've already made about 5 coasters...

13. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Nero is great. However, I hope you're not ditching the source tapes. VCD is an inherently bad format, only good for interim work until DVD mastering becomes more affordable.
    Insert push for the new iMac here [​IMG]
    I've been authoring DVDs at home of my kids and backups from the TiVo for about 18 months now. If you can, look into DVD authoring instead. The quality is FAR superior to VCD, and the price is dropping. When I started, blank DVDs were $10 each. Now they're $4 each and even cheaper than that from other places. A DVD-R drive is roughly $300, and the software from dvdcre8.com is $99.
    Mike

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

15. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Fair enough. I have to make sure everyone has options [​IMG]. There was this guy at work that was transferring his stuff to VCD the same time I was starting with DVD authoring, except he was THROWING AWAY his originals. No matter what I said, he wouldn't listen. Whatever. His mistake. I just want to make sure nobody else makes that mistake.
    Mike

16. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

17. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator