Do you use Banana Plugs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Sep 15, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

If so, why? Do they offer anything other than convenience for hooking speakers up? Do they offer better sound? Whats the deal?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

convenience. so long as there's good connections its a wash as to how you want to do your connection and you shouldn't expect any one method to be audibly superior to another.

3. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i use them for 2 reasons:
    they are convenient, much easier to plug and unplug than inserting bare wire all the time.
    and
    they make a good tight connection as long as you buy quality plugs.

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I use bannanas to connect the speaker wires to the terminals of my power amp, just because it makes it a bit easier and cleaner looking than running bare wires to the terminals.

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I use them for convenience and I think it gives it a cleaner look which I like.
    James

6. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Going to use them in my new set up as you how hard is is to shove a wire through a hole that is like a pin?

and if your amp-reciver ever takes a dump you just pul the plug and send it to service. also good for phase testing.

Will

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I uase bananas just for the convenience also. I used to disconnect and connect a lot.

8. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

I have never been a fan of banana's- even the best ones I have gotten (which may just not be good) don't seem as firm, or to have as good a connection as big, fat spades. Not those cheap Rat Shack spades, but big, thick (1/8 inch thick) gold-plated spades.

I do not notice any sound difference really between the two- never listened and compared. Yes, the banana's are easy to pull out and change out (especially for my two-year-old... we don't need to go ther!) I just like having that beefy spade to twist down on firmly!

Just my opiniom!

dave

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I used banana plugs on the receiver end of my speaker cables. I was afraid that a stray strand of wire could short out the amp. I only used them on the receiver end because there are more connections in a smaller space there than on the speakers.
    I have to pull my receiver out the front of my cabinet to remove it, the plugs make that easier too.

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

ANyone ever solder their wire to the banana plugs? Maybe with Silver solder? Would this create a better connection than just screwing the top down on the wire?

Kevin

11. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

that would probably be a good idea if you were never going to use that plug again, for a longer wire, better wire, etc. i guess you could always desolder it, but you wont be getting any solder in between the wire and the screw fitting on most plugs anyhow.