Do you use banana plugs for your speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MichaelDDD, Nov 19, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    At the speaker? At the receiver? Both?

I can't decided whether purchasing 14 pairs of them would be a waste of money or not. I don't change speakers often, I don't move my speakers. In fact...I've never had a bare wire come loose from a binding post.

I think I just answered my own question. [​IMG]

Well, what the heck. Do you use them?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's all a matter of personal preference. Myself, it's spades on the speakers and bananas on the amp or receiver. Since you're connected anyways and are thinking about one or another option, just shop around a bit.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I'm with Chu. Spades at the speakers and bannanas at the amp. It's a matter of personal preference.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

bananas at both. get the rat-shack ones. they're not too expensive and work perfectly well.

any reason you guys like spades at the speakers??

5. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks guys.

Spades, huh? Hmm, I use those at the amp end in car audio installs. But then again, most car audio amps have screw terminals as opposed to binding posts.

I'm curious as well. Why spades at the speakers instead of bananas/bare wire?

6. Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms Stunt Coordinator

Well I like to use bananas on every conection. I used to use spades until i was tightening a binding post and the plastic bolt cracked.

I have not noticed any sonic diffences between the two. But I just think that Bananas look cooler [​IMG]

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well my rationalization is that spades at the speakers give me some sense of security of connection provided that I've made it up relatively snugly. I don't like bare wires simply because I consider it a tad sloppy and besides, I'd be back there a couple of times a year trimming and cutting a fresh piece. Bananas on the amp/receiver give me a certain amount of flexibility, if I want it, in order to pull things out. But really, it's no big thing either way. If you're looking to save a few dollars, and I respect that, just use bare wires for now and shop around for some inexpensive connectors. Maybe ebay...some closeout places.

8. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

9. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Yes, John. I did. I remember. Thank you so much, Encyclopedia Brown. :p [​IMG]

I wanted a fresh opinion, that's all.

Anyways, it's always nice to save a few bucks, but in the scope of things (i.e. how much I've spent in the past two months) it would be a small expenditure.

Thanks for explaining your rationale, Chu. [​IMG] Makes sense.

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Bananas everywhere. I even changed the connections on my old JBL L100s to accept bananas.....

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Give me that, Give me that, Give me that [​IMG]. Speakers and amp.

Kevin

12. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I use banana's because you can see behind my front speakers and they look better than just having bare wire. I bought some off of ebay one time for like $1.30/pr. I think the guys name was laynlow or something. I was very impressed with them.

13. Michael S

Michael S Agent

Michael--guess I will be in the minority of one here in that I do not us any terminations for connecting speaker wires to my speakers--don't see the need and don't like solder connections. I will cut off an inch and re-strip and expose fresh copper once a year. It is not that I cannot afford decent terminations, but that I prefer to avoid as many things in the way of electron flow as I can. Your (and everyone else's) mileage may vary.

Michael S.

14. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks guys. [​IMG] I still haven't made up my mind. I am kind of a "purist" in that I like as little interfering w/the connection as possible.

BUT, I am a neat freak too. :b I've seen pics of neatly bundled speaker wires all neatly terminated w/matching banana plugs...it gives me the warm fuzzies. [​IMG] Heh.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

toss this on for size michael.

i once had a friendly debate with a customer about this. his contention was that he didn't like plugs because they could change the way he heard the music. according to him, different plugs had their own characteristics and uniquely affected the music.

boy...talk about hardcore.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

mass delusional psychosis...as far as wanting to maintain signal purity Michael with the wire, how do you feel about the bare copper oxidizing and further reacting with atmospheric pollutants to form copper sulfides?

17. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

if bananas.. WBT

otherwise... good spades

18. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Just bought some cheap gold plated banna plugs for the main and center speakers. They were like $2.50 for a pack of 4. Sound quality seems the same to me. Gonna do the same for the rear and back surround once I get some 12 gauge wire from partexpress. I'm only using 16 guage right now and my runs are 20-25'.

19. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

20. MichaelDDD

Mike

*shocked* Well, I've always had a few of them psychosis wandering around in the vast chasm I call a brain. [​IMG] And...and...and I think that those copper things should just knock it off and quit that oxidizing! *stomps foot*

Heheh, a bit of levity there, Chu. [​IMG]

Seriously, I know that copper wire does oxidize...I've honestly never noticed any of my wires turning green though. I do clip/restrip the wires anytime I disconnect them from the speakers or amp...that's usually once a year or so. It's an old habit; I dislike twisted wire ends that become frayed. Too much chance of a short that way.

But, there is no other way to get the signal from the amp to the speakers without wires, so some "signal degradation" is impossible to avoid. Yes, I know about wireless speakers. *chuckle* Can you say "signal compression and loss?" [​IMG]