Do you use analog cables when listening to cd's through dvd player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have been doing alot of research on cables lately and am getting ready to rewire my system. I have a couple of questions. Right now I am just using my coax digital cable to listen to normal cd's. Do some of you also use two analog cables to listen to cd's? Is that possible? All I would need to do is hook them up to my cd input on my receiver and select cd anytime I want to listen to cd's through my analog cables. Is that the best way to go to get good stereo sound? Also if I went that route, would that bypass my receivers dac's?

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jeff,

it is possible to connect the stereo outputs of your dvd player to the cd inputs on your receiver. One might do this if he/she preferred the sound of the dvd player's DACs to the receiver's. This may or may not be subject to any A/D and D/A conversion on the receiver, depending on whether it has an 'analog direct' or 'bypass' mode. I personally don't bother with this, as it's 2 more wires to get tangled up, and I am more than happy with the sound of my receiver's DACs

3. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

I have my player hooked up both ways but I prefer the digital output over the analog. My processor has a better crossover than my digital-ready receiver. When listening through the analog outs I get hardly any sub response. Plus, the processor lets me set the levels for the sub however I want. If you're only listening to the mains with no sub I doubt you'd notice a difference.

~Crowe~

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

First of all, yes this sort of connection bypasses your receiver's digital-to-analog converters, because left and right analog cables are by definition analog. There is no digital bitstream to convert.

It comes down to whether the DACs in your receiver or DVD player sound better for two-channel PCM stereo from a CD. There is also the advantage of using a different input on your receiver for CD (whether you use a second digital cable or go with the analog cables is up to you) because your receiver probably has the ability to remember different preference settings for each input.

My Sony DVD player has one optical and one coaxial digital output. I have the coax digital connected to my Onkyo receiver's DVD input, which is set to decode Dolby Digital. I have the optical digital cable connected to the receiver's CD input, which is set to two-channel stereo. I could just as easily connect analog cables to the CD input instead.

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to hook up a second digital cable and I maight even try the analog inputs just to see what I like.

6. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I will offer a different view. I have a Denon AVR 3200 and ,A Sony CA70ES 5 disc changer and a Panasonic A110 DVD player. I was using the DVD player as my CD player using the Analog ouputs for music and the digital cable for HT use. Using the Digital cable, I found the sound to be horrible....bass was bad, treble was mumbled.. mind you I am using a Monster Cable M1000 digital cable (their 2nd top of the line) and I bought some M.C. 400I analogs and the sound improvement was ENOURMOUS!!!! I then bought the Sony and it smokes the Panny DVD for CD listening!

So what it is going to count on is the quality of the DAC in your DVD player and receiver. I have heard the Sony 9000ES with the B&K Ref30 using the digital outs and it sounded fantastic!!! SO the better your electronics..the better the sound but in my price range I would not try it!

Mike

7. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    I second that. When I had my Sony DVP-S300 going through a mid-fi Pioneer receiver the analog outs sounded "muddier" than the digital outs, which still sounded kinda just OK.

Now the same DVD player connected to a B&K REf 30/Outlaw 750 combo sounds good when using the analog outs of the player, but amazing when allowing the Ref30 to do the D/A duties.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Manny, are you meaning when you used your digital cable that the sound was not detailed? I think that was what Mike was stating. My next question regarding this is, if my dvd player is also a dvd-audio player, when I select the 6 channel input on my receiver to listen to normal cd's, then I am using only my left and right analog inputs right?

9. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    Yes, the sound was not detailed. It was dead. Sounded like I had thrown a blanket over the speakers.

10. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I used to use my pioneer 414 for listening to cd's. I have it connected to my yamaha 2095 via coax digital. I tried and tried to find a way to like listening to music on th pioneer. Tried analog cables, tried optical(didn't make a difference). Cd's just didn't sound good on the 414. I then purchased a sony CDP-CA70ES cd player. I originally had it hooked up via optical to yamaha, a little improvement but not much. When I connected the 70ES to the 2095 with analog cables it made a huge improvement. I concluded that the DAC's in the sony sounded better than the ones in the 2095. I wouldn't have figured that a $300 cd player would have better DAC's than a $1500 receiver but that is what my ears told me.

11. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Yes I do, when I listen to 24/96 DAD and DVD-Audio