Do you use a hitch mounted bike rack...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin_W, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

... that you would recommend? And that can clear the spare tire mounted to the back of a Jeep Wrangler?

I have a 2" receiver hitch on my Jeep and I need something that will accommodate three bikes.... Two mountain and one that is a young girls 20" bike. Something that tilts is a plus but don't know which harness types are better: the strap or "clamp" type. What are better at protecting the gear/brake cables?

Budget is flexible but would prefer to remain under $150.

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Trying to get a good Rack system for under $150.00 will be alittle hard to do?

Have you tried searching on the Net for the different types out there?

Here's a link to check out......... Racks

Also Here

I have a Jeep Cherokee with a Receiver Mounted Carrier, but I can't for the life of me, remember where I got it ? lol
    Think I paid about $200 for it?

My Jeep

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I have a Yakima bike rack for my Explorer, and I'm happy with it. It's a strap style, but only carries two bikes. Fine for my needs. I don't rememeber how much I paid for it, but I got it at my local bike shop. I'd suggest you talk to them.

4. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have this one: Saris Rack

It's been a number of years since I bought it, but I'm pretty sure it came in under $200. Been very happy with it. Holds the bikes very securely, and tilts. Has a locking bolt to keep it from rattling around in the receiver. I'm not sure if it would clear a tire, but there are extenders you can get for not too much money.

-Dave

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

When I had a Jeep Cherokee with a rear mounted spare, I had a carrier attached to the spare. It could carry two bikes without any problems. I was easy to mount, use, and remove. Got rid of the Jeep but still have the carrier just in case. I now carry my bikes inside my current vehicle.

6. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks for the tips guys.

I have been looking around but to be honest there are so many different brands and price ranges I don't know what to look for. I didn't know if its one of those things where a cheap $100 model is all you need or the more expensive models secure better.

Any thoughts on straps versus clamps?

Kevin

7. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

THe Bike Carrier I had on my other Vehicle ( Suzuki Sidekick) was the "Clamp Style". It worked good and with that type, I was able to lock the Clamping section . Cannot do that with the Strap Type, like I have on my Cherokee,I just run a Cable thru the bikes,and a "I-Bolt" on the hitch portion of the Carrier.