Do You Think Van Helsing would be a good excuse to unleash that "other" monster hunt

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

considering how fond studios are of tie-ing in dvd releases to theater releases, i think everybody is expecting that Universal will finally get back on the Monster collection with the Release of Van Helsing next summer.
    that would be great, and hopefully the double features will pick up where they left off, since there are more than a dozen great golden age Monster films yet to be released.

but i'm going to be hoping real hard that someone also realizes they have another property, just as fitting- and even moreso, that would be perfect to release in conjunction with their big screen monster hunter

-Kolchak!

i realize the Universal is not known for paying attention to forums, so i'm going the extra mile and actually draft a hard copy (or several) and mail it to them requesting this.

anybody got a good address to use?

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

According to several reports - Universal are going to use the DVD release of Van Helsing to re-release their existing Monster Collection discs.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

that's what i've heard to, James.
    thing is, those discs should still be in print and VH should be the excuse to put more new material- not just re-release what was already in the market 3 years earlier.
    since it looks like nothing new is coming this year, i'll be very disappointed if thats all we see next year.

4. James Reader

Well, you won't like one of the rumours I've heard - the special features from the first waves of releases are to be removed when re-released! [​IMG]

However, I personally don't think this is likely.

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

It's just bizarre that Universal has taken all these titles off the market. If they were successful, why take them out of circulation? If they weren't successful, certainly they wouldn't be making Van Helsing--?

Never have heard a satisfactory explanation on these going OOP. Maybe Universal would rather not sell them than have to compete price-wise with stuff like MGM's "Midnite Movies" series, where you can now get 2 films and some extras for $9.95. Who knows...

6. James Reader

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

well, i would think the same goes for fans of ALL THAT JAZZ who've had to wait how long now? just so Fox could tie the promotion in with the dvd release of Chicago.

this cross-promotion mentality is pure idiocy to me.
    catalog titles have fans- many times hardcore fans.
    if the title is out they will buy it (assuming the quality is acceptable).
    i don't understand the point of making the fan wait so the title can be promoted to someone who may or may not be interested in it anyway- and whats to stop the studio from using a new release to cross promote a title thats already been released?
    happens every week at Best Buy.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I don't understand DVD tie-ins either. Isn't it better to tie old DVD movies in to the theatrical releases? That's when the interest is at its peak.
    I used to work at a video store and people would always ask about movies when remakes/sequels were about to hit theaters or if they'd been playing for a week - almost never when they hit video. Aren't the studios seeing the gold with The Matrix and Equilibrium (which looks a lot like the Matrix)? They were both in the DVD Sales top 10 last week.
    Does anyone know?

I have most of the first wave of Universal horror titles (don't have The Mummy and Phantom of the Opera), but I missed out on all the sequel double features. How long were those in print anyway - 1 week? It seemed like they were gone very fast.

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

When the theatrical run of Van Helsing comes around I'm sure Universal will reissue their OOP Monster titles.

As I already own the ones I want I'm far more concerned about the Classic 30's Horror titles they control that were never released such as Black Cat, Island of Lost Souls, Raven(to name just a few), along with the Hammer gems - Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf & The Gorgon.

I have a sinking fear these won't ever get released by this studio.

10. James Reader

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well, it'd be nice if they ever got around to putting a decent version of DRACULA on DVD. The Spanish version is SO much better transfre-wise. And it's not just the print used, as the previous laserdisc transfer was MUCH better.

Also, where is the '79 Langella Dracula???

13. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I could understand releasing these films one month before Van Helsing comes out, but I just don't get it when they wait until the film arrives on DVD. It seems like such a missed opportunity.

f.e., the original Italian Job DVD was pushed back to coincide with the DVD release of the new one. I believe that the interest in the original Italian Job would have peaked between 1 week before and 1 week after the remake hit theaters.

The same goes for Ringu and The Ring, and the Universal Classic Monster films and Van Helsing.

But since studios are doing this often, there must be some kind of method to their madness.

14. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I would tend to agree with you, James; but that doesn't seem to be the studios' thoughts on the matter. Warner released the Hammer '59 The Mummy to coincide with Universal's release of their new Mummy film on DVD. The fact that certain releases "only have a tenuous relationship with each other" apparently doesn't phase the studios one whit!