1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think this might give an SVS a run for the money?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shannon W, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Well the most important thing is the cabinet here. If it works well then it looks like a smart design. I am confused though, do you make the cab yourself then purchase each 15" woofer $400 seperate and the amp and crossover. This could become quite costly. I would expect the design to be seen by other companies if it is a good design. I am not completely convinced though.

3. Shannon W

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Nice, I wouldn't mind having that testing program, though my crap computer probably can't run it. What I need to do is go to Radio Shack and get an SPL meter, do you know how much they are?

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That program is freeware. It doesn't use up many resources, but you do need a decent sound card (a laptop sound card probably won't cut it).

The SPL meter can be had for under $50. Most people around here prefer the analog version.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

TCSounds made SVS' drivers for them until SVS recently starting making their own.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    One of TC Sounds' main designers (Stephen Ponte) made the jump to SVS to start designing their drivers. Thilo, TC's owner, is no slouch in designing either and he just recently added Deon Bearden (formerly of Klipsch).

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Well even though I am restricted on room, size doesn't concern me. I live in apartments and use an M&K MX-100 which is by no means small. It can deffinitily annoy neighbors I just wait to blast when they aren't home.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

That is quite something. Having said that, If I was thinking along those lines, I would wait for the new Ultra series from SVS. With 14 inch drivers, a new Ultra/2 for a few hundred bucks more, and without all the construction headaches should be a real butt kicker [​IMG]

10. MaRtIn^dB

MaRtIn^dB Extra

and trust me when i tell you Shannon...even with the ep2500, it is amp limited for sure...the amp is quitting before the drivers at this point...i probably need an ep2500 on each channel...for example, on Master and Commander, i can get to 118 dB (uncorr) before clipping and up to 121 dB with serious clip limiting by the behringer...this would represent a doubling of needed, clean power...hence two ep2500's...then i would probably have 125 dB (corrected) at the seats!...and this is with the fbq2496 switched in (losing about 5 dB of "unlinear" output)...the total boost between 5 Hz and 20 Hz is about 4-5 dB, for the eq curve used...all in all, a very impressive subwoofer...tight for music and HT!

11. Shannon W

MaRtIn.
    You have a PM.