Do you think there is a market for HT DIY instructional Video/DVD?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I was thinking, even though there are great websites on the topic, about doing a full DVD of info on constructing crimp based interconnects and cables-- something simple, maybe 60 minutes, on DVD-R.

That got me wondering if maybe there was a market for doing this type of thing, and branching out to more types of DIY projects.

I wonder if you guys think there would be any use for this type of thing.

-vince

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

A video for applying/trimming veneer or laminate would probably be a good one as it gets asked quite often.

Pete

3. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Vince,
    I was just thinking that yesterday!!!!! Let's do it!! Long drive back and forth from Ohio though.

Shawn

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Lol!

Well, if you're interested specifically in the CABLE element- I;m thinking about doing one in the few weeks following christmas. If you ahve an suggestions, I'm all ears.

-vince

5. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Cool. I worked with a company that built cabinets through high school, and I am very familiar with laminate, so the laminate idea might be good.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    A few random thoughts...

Cable construction: It would be good to show people how to make a cable with both the good tools and the cheap tools. In other words, the 1-step Canare stripper vs. the 2-3 tool stripping process. Common mistakes should be talked about (crimping more than once per connection, etc.). Demonstrating how to use techflex and heat shrink tubing (with a heat gun and with an iron) would be beneficial as well.

Laminate:
    - Types of adhesives and their proper application
    - Router safety (understanding & preventign router kickback, etc.)
    - How to minimize chip out

Enclosure construction:
    - glues and enclosure materials
    - router and bit selection
    - circle jigs (store purchase vs. DIY)
    - router safety (take multiple passes, dust control, eye safety, don't force the tool, etc.)

7. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

If you could combine all major aspects to DIY, that'd simply be amazing. As for you, Vince, just DIY cabling could be quite beneficial, as it's not as wide-spread nor easy to pick up.

I would honestly love a DVD with cable construction, laminate/finish application and cabinet construction. (With a bonus of how to calibrate your speakers and video!)

If anybody wants to film something around Detroit, my friend does some filming on the side and has a camera that would produce a very nice quality production. [​IMG]

8. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I think its a great idea. Just look to HT Builder magazine for proof that there is an interested DIY population out there. I, for one, would be willing to pay a reasonable price for some good reference material on how to be safe with the various shop tools, how to get good results with laminates and stains/dyes, and a host of other things.

Assuming, of course, that it was semi-professional in execution and the information was informative and accurate. An article is nice, but nothing beats being shown how to do something.

9. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a good idea.

A suggestion is to hit as many parts of each subject as possible in each video.

[​IMG]

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have a post in the Display Devices forum asking where I can buy BNC to BNC cables. Someone suggested I build them, which I rejected because, to tell the truth, I had never built cables before and didn't wouldn't know what I was doing. So I guess I would be a candidate for a how-to. Thing is, I'd like it today, before I spend a lot of cash on ready-made stuff.

11. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Stunt Coordinator

I would definatly buy something like that, especially if it was complete guide to speaker building.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not a bad idea Vince. Will there be a director's cut and subtitles too? [​IMG]

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I was just thinking, I could probably do a full hour on cable construction myself ( tools, parts, common mistakes, suppliers, etc)-- and thought if enough people were interested I could probably use the money from the cable edition and produce a few more.

Hmmmmm, something to ponder.

Greg- could you point to some suggestions as to why this would be a mistake? I have built (going on) 1000 cables using Canare crimp system, and I ALWAYS crimp twice. Because the dies are never perfect at giving a 100 even crimp on all sides- I crimp, rotate 90 degrees, line up the hex and crimp again-- this is similar to how coins are minted and how most machine presses I've ever seen work.

Never seen anyone site this as a common mistake, and I'm curious to learn more.

-Vince

14. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

When you do the second crimp, aren't you actually opening the first crimp; ie, un-crimping it?

15. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on how you crimp. I usually use the first crimp to fit everything snug and make sure it is all lined up. Then a second crimp to even out the pressure and reach maximum hold.

With a good tool you will get the right alignment so the first crimp will already be close to perfect.

With a bad tool and/or connector it is easy to have things mis-aligned. In that case, the crimp isn't uniform and distorion of the barrel and/or pin(s) can occur. A second crimp can then continue to drive things out of alignment.

The right tools and connectors make all the difference in the world. I've been putting cable end on for 20 years and I'd rather have the right tools than have to rely on technique.

16. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I'd buy it.

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Interesting- I have A list tools- but still often feel that I get a perfect crimp by doing a double die method. Again- I don't Undo the original crimp, as the hex stays with the same alignment- it is just rotated a quarter turn to insure an even and uniform crimp.

No problems so far- and each of my orders are about $4000 worth of merch and I have yet to have a single complaint or return.

-V

18. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg