What's new

Do you test Creative Decoder DDTS-100, what's your opinion (1 Viewer)

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
Well this one is a little better link (more details):
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...6&product=9468

Also since it does DTS-ES, DD EX, DPL-II and even DTS Neo:6 (and also looks much nicer) it is probably a better unit than the Klipsch ProMedia thingy that performs very similar functions...

3 optical ins, 1 coax and 3 pairs of stereo analog inputs--a little more versatile than the ProMedia input wise, as well.

Creative isn't known for making the best audio gear, but it looks pretty good, and the MSRP ain't bad either :) I think, however that you should be able to get this online, from computer stores, etc. for closer to $100 though--making it an even better deal. If you can't find it online just yet (if it is brand new), you may want to wait a short while.

I'd check out eBay and perhaps pricewatch.com to see if it is listed there any cheaper.

Blashy

Agent
Speaking of this new piece of hardware.

I have 5.1 "PC" Speakers that I am using for my home theatre.

I do not have a receiver.

At this time the Creative decoder is what I am leaning towards purchasing, it supports 5.1, plenty of plug ins. The only thing I am wondering is if it has volume/bass/treble adjustements on it. I can't see a big picture of it anywhere.

And the pricing is a big factor. I can't find anything at a better price.

My question is, would this be adequate to use with my PC speakers? I do have RCA connectors on them.

Thanks for any help.

Update: Found this info at Tom's

ww.tomshardware.com/video/20040120/index.html

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
Blashy, well there is the Klipsch ProMedia thingy that is similar and costs about $100 street price I think; however it lacks DPL-II and Neo:6 as well as DD-ES and DTS-ES, not to mention it has fewer inputs.

Also to use a processor like this on your PC speakers and have it actually do something for you, you'll have to have 6ch analog inputs (6 RCA connections) for the speaker set. If it is only a stereo input or USB input (like I've seen some PC speakers have, regardless of being "multi-speaker") then it won't do anything for you.

I think Creative designed it primarily to be used in PC applications so as long as your speakers support 6ch input then this would be a good choice if you want DD/DTS processing.

Blashy

Agent
Could I not simply use the mini jack plug ins? The Creative has those and my speakers have them.

Mine are black, green & yellow while the creative entries are black, green & orange. Although I've seen that orange and yellow is the same, correct me if I am wrong.

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
Yep you could use the miniplug/minijacks the Creative labs decoder already has. If your speakers have 3 of those like the Creative labs DDTS-100 has then you'll be all set. (If the speakers had RCA inputs you'd have to use 3 Y-cables).

But yes 6 channel input whether it is RCA or miniplug sets--either will work.

Blashy

Agent
Thanks for your help Roland.

I know what I'll be getting to complete my home theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks