Do you separately insure your DVD collections ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Silver, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I was putting my regular Tuesday haul in my cabinet last night and it finally occurred to me how big an "investment" my DVD collection actually is. With a collection somewhere between 400-500 DVDs, if something happenned to them it would cost me a lot of money to try and rebuild. I have homeowner's insurance, but I'm wondering if, similar to wife's engagement ring, I should go get a separate rider for my DVDs.

Has anyone else done this ?

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

3. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Not at this time, but as my collection is almost at 400 now and that it includes some OOP titles I would not want to be without...I am definitely considering separate insurance. No doubt about it.

4. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I saw that link, but I don't think that explored some issues that might come into play. For instance, let's assume you have nice stuff....your homeowner's policy limit might be used up before you get to replacing your DVDs. Also, how far do you have to go to prove what titles you have ? I don't keep receipts and even if I did they would be kept in the house which means they probably will destroyed with the DVDs.

I assume if you get a separate rider, you can take pictures of your collection and update them periodically.

5. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

This really concerns me, too. I've always wondered about this. My collection is pushing 300 right now and it almost scares the shit out of me. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened specifically about the OOP titles. I'm in an apartment right now and I have renters insurance. I'm just wondering what I'd ever have to do to prove that I currently own 280+ DVD's... I don't think a printout via DVD Tracker would hold much weight, but then, I don't know.

Are there any insurance representatives on here who might be able to comment?

Scott.

6. JoshGroetsema

If you have a camcorder, then a home video showing all of your DVD's would be a good idea.

7. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Take digital pics of yours discs. Put them on a CD-R (to be frequently updated) and put that CD-r which should have pics of all of your belongings, not just DVD's) into a safe deposit box along with sensitive documents. Or buy a fire safe, or both. My insurance allows (after insuring personal belongings at 60% or more of the value of the house), for replacement cost. That is, if you lose, say a mint condition OOP DVD, they will give you today's replacement value, not what it was worth when it came out. Of course, you better hope you don't lose everything, or you will need to consider upping the personal belongings insurance to more, depending on the quality of the stuff you own. We did this with stuff like electronics and media in mind, becuase if anything, burglary is more likely, and they will only go for certain things. Depreciation won't come into play and I won't have to feel hopeless if it does happen.

knock on wood.. I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen, and if anyone does decide to break in, they sure as hell better hope Me and my 45 aren't home at the same time.