What's new

Do you say "pop" or "soda"? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
everything is a "Coke." even Pepsi. :)
if you say "pop" don't expect a warm welcome in Texas. seriously. you'll likely get a tongue-lashing from natives for saying "pop" or "soda-pop." that's also one of my personal pet peeves!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have to agree with Patrick...here in Georgia we tend to call every carbonated soft drink "Coke."

Rand

Supporting Actor
I'll turn 49 next month and I was raised here in the Atlanta area. One of the changes here over the years due to a large percentage of our population being people moving here from the northeasteren states is a change in our language. When I was younger you called them either soft drinks or Coke usually. Sometimes if you wanted to specify you'd do so, re, "Bring me an RC with that Moon Pie". For the past twenty years or so we've seen a shift to the word soda, pop is still kinda rare thankfully. Damn Yankees. :D

Nicholas L

Auditioning
This is an issue that is very close to me, because hearing people call soda.."pop" has been one of my pet peeves about living in Ohio. I was born in the great state of Utah, where it was called soda...but those who weren't bared for religious reasons from drinking it:D In Texas I found that it is still called soda, or coke regaurdless of the brand. I have found this true for most of the south, especially in Atlanta, try asking for a Pepsi, people will look at you like you're retarded. It'd be like in the Simpsons Australian episode, "I'll have a Pepsi" "Ya mean Coke?" "No Pepsi" "Coke?" "P-E-P-S-I" "C-O-K-E?" Anyway, then I moved to Ohio and found people calling it POP. This did, and 8 years later, sounded very unusual to me. Pop is something the weasel did, not something you drink. So, anyway...at least this way I can identify people who aren't from the northeast...by the confused look on their faces when they hear someone order a pop. So a salute to those who stick with SODA

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I prefer soda, although everyone else I know seems to prefer pop. I've always been a coca-cola guy.

Jon

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
You know, I don't really pay attention too much. I know I use both terms, but overall, I probably say "pop" more often just cause I'm a midwesterner.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks