Do you say "pop" or "soda"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Noel, Feb 19, 2002.

  1. Jeffrey Noel

    Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2001
    Messages:
    1,533
    Likes Received:
    0
    A couple of years back, in high school, I went to the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine in Boston, and when I said "pop", barely anybody know what I was talking about! Most everyone else said "soda" and a guy from Finland, I think, referred to carbonated beverages as "fizzy drinks".
    I have actually been working on the more known term soda, but everybody here in the midwest thinks I'm an idiot! [​IMG]
    So, how do you or people in your area refer to Coke, Pepsi, or other carbonated beverages??
     
  2. RobR

    RobR Second Unit

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2000
    Messages:
    275
    Likes Received:
    0
    I say "soda." I have a friend who calls it "soda pop."

    I think they call it "juice" in Scotland.
     
  3. Nick Sievers

    Nick Sievers Producer

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2000
    Messages:
    3,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    We usually say "Soft Drink" over here, but it's always baffled me as to why we refer to it as that. Fizzy Drink would have to be the other common term over here with Soda not used.
     
  4. Adam Barratt

    Adam Barratt Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 1998
    Messages:
    2,343
    Likes Received:
    1
    Real Name:
    Adam
    We don't use either 'pop' or 'soda' here. Most people call drinks by their product names (Coke 'Coke', Pepsi 'Pepsi' and so on). The most popular generic description is 'soft drinks'.

    Adam
     
  5. Josh_Hill

    Josh_Hill Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Messages:
    1,049
    Likes Received:
    0
    I say 'Pop'
     
  6. george kaplan

    george kaplan Executive Producer

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2001
    Messages:
    13,063
    Likes Received:
    2
    I never say pop or soda or cola for that matter.

    99% of the time I say coke, and the other 1% soft drink.
     
  7. Paul_D

    Paul_D Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2001
    Messages:
    2,048
    Likes Received:
    0
    'Fizzy drink' is the standard term in England.
     
  8. JasenP

    JasenP Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 1999
    Messages:
    1,280
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Real Name:
    Jasen
    It's POP in Southwest Michigan.
     
  9. Ike

    Ike Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2000
    Messages:
    1,672
    Likes Received:
    0
    In TX, it's the generic Coke.
     
  10. Scott_G

    Scott_G Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2000
    Messages:
    268
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's a COKE in NC. but a POP in Indiana.
     
  11. Chuck C

    Chuck C Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2001
    Messages:
    2,224
    Likes Received:
    1
    pop
     
  12. SteveGon

    SteveGon Executive Producer

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2000
    Messages:
    12,251
    Likes Received:
    1
    I live in Ohio. We say "pop". [​IMG]
     
  13. Richard Kim

    Richard Kim Producer

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2001
    Messages:
    4,385
    Likes Received:
    0
    Over here we say "soda."
     
  14. MatthewA

    MatthewA Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2000
    Messages:
    6,949
    Likes Received:
    767
    Location:
    Salinas, CA
    Real Name:
    Matthew
    I say either soda or Coke, because I usually prefer Coke.
     
  15. Kurt B

    Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2000
    Messages:
    246
    Likes Received:
    0
    'Round these parts, we call it soda.
     
  16. Dheiner

    Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2001
    Messages:
    2,760
    Likes Received:
    144
    Location:
    'skonsen
    Real Name:
    John Dhein
    Like Kurt said, It's soda here.
     
  17. Grant B

    Grant B Producer

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2000
    Messages:
    3,210
    Likes Received:
    0
    when I lived in Ohio it was Pop

    Now it's Beer...I've finished with that phase
     
  18. Patrick Sun

    Patrick Sun Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 1999
    Messages:
    38,680
    Likes Received:
    453
    Down south, it's usually referred to as "Coke" since we are in "Coke" country.
    Anytime we hear someone say "pop" or "soda" we know they ain't from around these parts... [​IMG]
     
  19. Tom-G

    Tom-G Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2000
    Messages:
    1,638
    Likes Received:
    2
    Pour me a glass of pop, please!
     
  20. LukeB

    LukeB Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2000
    Messages:
    2,178
    Likes Received:
    0

Share This Page